[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essential Douchebag Gutarist's Songbook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: gutar.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
gutar.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
Hey /mu. I've been playing guitar for a few years now. The thing is, I sorta missed out on my open-chord douchebag fundamentals. Let me explain. So when I started playnig made it my goal to play guitar in my school jazz band, so I focused on learning my scales, mainly just practiced lead, and once school started all the songs i would learn were jazz songs. Well after about a year and a half of going down the whole jazz guitar rabbit hole I decided I fucking hated jazz and I straight up quit. I took a couple months of not playing guitar and now I find myself here. My love for music has been reignited. I picked up my guitar for the first time in months today and learned Johnny Cash's "Hurt" pretty quickly. I simply want to be able to be that douche who can pull out a guitar while camping and start singin and stummin. Long story short, my lead is still pretty good, but my rhythm guitar is shit and I don't know many essential douchebag songs- /mu give me a list of the essential songs I should learn to accomplish my goal of being that one douchebag at partys.
>>
just get spotify to go full douchebag
>>
>>63292621
Elaborate please.
>>
>>63292556
This could be a cool book idea to sell to idiots like you lolol
>>
>>63292629
spotify has these trend playlists for rock, pop, or any mood that you think normies might get into
you can get song recs to learn from there
>>
>>63292637
OP here yeah t could even have douchebag in the title to appeal to postironic selfaware unaware douchebags such as myself persay
>>
Wonderwall
>>
Hip-hop covers like the white girl covering OFWGKTA that shit is so obnoxious
>>
> 3-5 Bob Dylan songs minimum
> American Pie by Don McLean
> at least two Eagles songs
> one Simon & Garfunkel song
As your textbook douchebag rhythm guitarist, I know what I'm talking about
Go nuts, desu
>>
I love Drive by Incubus but it feels like a douchie guitar-guy song.
>>
>>63292556
i know exactly what you're talking about
"wonderwall" was gonna be my answer but someone already said that... try "i felt your shape" if you want to get inside of any hipsters
>>
Jason Mraz and James Blunt songs
>>
File: Cowboy-Chords.gif (43 KB, 600x785) Image search: [Google]
Cowboy-Chords.gif
43 KB, 600x785
the cowboy chords. you can listerally just learn these, pick and choose three, no more, no less, and alternate between those three with different melodies.

congrats, you are now 60% of popular music for the past 50 years
>>
>>63292556
>>63292556
Dont forget ironic covers of shitty bubblegum pop \ 90s dance songs in alt folk fashion
>>
>>63293172
Would also suggest reading up on basic music theory re: chord construction, scales, keys, etc. Pretty much the first 3 chapters in any decent music theory book and you'll be miles ahead of most douchebag-core casual guitarists in terms of being able to improvise w/ chords.
>>
Hey There Delilah. That Green Day song they always play at graduations.
>>
>>63293543
Time of your life (good ridance)
Also pull out some sublime (santerĂ­a could be good)
>>63292556
>>
>>63292556
Neutral milk hotel-naomi
>>
>>63293747
>Meet girl named Naomi
>Can't decide whether playing this song for her (one of the three that I know) would be endearing or creepy
What do /mu/
>>
>>63293827
Creepy unless you are close and have mutual feelings for each other
>>
Nirvana's discography m8
>>
Sublime is good. Also Blink 182 and reggae. Modern Top 40 Pop hits too.
>>
You cannot forget the classics - the intro to Nothing Else Matters and the intro to Stairway to Heaven.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>63292556
It feels like the later-80's/early-90's was full of this stuff.

More Than Words, Wicked Game, Patience, Under the Bridge, a bunch of hair-metal ballads like "More than Words Can Say," etc.
>>
>>63292556
Blackbird
Ooh La La by The Faces
Stairway
Wonderwall

Oh, also kill yourself faggot
>>
>>63293827
"I'm tasting naomi's perfume, it tastes like shit"
>>
>>63292681
>>63293084
>>63293252
Oh my God college girls eat that shit up. Especially if everyone's drunk Wonderwall will be like on a spiritual level. Its so fucking bad.
>>
>>63292556
Stairway To Heaven
Wonderwall
Wish You Were Here
A few Beatles songs
Acoustic cover of whatever popular song is right now.
>>
21 Pilots would always be a catalog to pull from
Late 90s to mid 2000s pop, punk, and whatever rock was on the Top 10 would be great choices.
Make it sound like your out of breath when you sing too. Adds to the douche flare, you douche
>>
>>63293827
>song is about a girl from the point of view of a stalker
What the fuck do you think?
>>
I got two - Cold by Crossfade as well as So Cold by Breaking Benjamin.
>>
>>63292556
Anything popular by the Beatles, but specifically "I've Just Seen a Face" for extra guitar douche points.

But keep in mind, this archetype you mention:
>that douche who can pull out a guitar while camping and start singin and stummin
It's starting to wear thin. Sure, some dumb girls still fall for it, but most people see through it now. Now it just screams "tryhard", "attention whore", and "please think I'm cool". Your friends will listen out of obligation, but they still think it's insufferable how you bring that guitar everywhere just to have your very own spotlight when you feel like not enough people are paying attention to you. They wish you'd just get a fucking girlfriend already so they don't have to hear your breathy, "emotional" renditions of pop romance songs from yesteryear, and they wish you'd just stop trying to showboat your one talent in front of everyone else's girlfriend when you already fucking have one that you never sing sappy songs to in private anyways.

Seriously though, don't try to be the "special loner guy" at parties or gatherings. It's pretentious. People appreciate the "party friend guy" more. He's the guy who will pull out a fucking squeezebox and start singing shanties and drinking songs, getting everyone to join in whether they know the words or not. He'll bring enough snacks for everyone. He'll ask the host what kind of music to play, if any at all. He's there for everyone, for the group, for the night's events. Not for himself.

tl;dr: I jelly and can only into keyboard/piano, but I still hate guys who play the piano every time they see one.
>>
>>63295290
>People appreciate the "party friend guy" more. He's the guy who will pull out a fucking squeezebox and start singing shanties and drinking songs, getting everyone to join in whether they know the words or not. He'll bring enough snacks for everyone. He'll ask the host what kind of music to play, if any at all. He's there for everyone, for the group, for the night's events. Not for himself.
tfw i'll never be that guy
kill me, I wish I was socially awesome
>>
>>63295290
>Not being the party boy with the guitar
Nothing wrong with pulling out the guitar to pkay some party tunes. The problem is when you kill the vibe with a sappy/emotional not party enough song. Singing ironically Meme songs we all know are great for keeping te party vibe.
>>
If you can sing and play Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly, you'll be the coolest dude in the room.
>>
>>63293543
I hate Hey, there Delilah.
FUCKING SUCKS
>>
literally just play smells like teen spirit and if a girl asks if u like nirvana then just reply with a blank look and say, "who they?'
>>
>>63292556
You are unevolving OP
>>
>>63292556
pearl jam - black
britney spears - hit me baby one more time
christina aguilera - genie in a bottle
backstreet boys - i want it that way
metallica - nothing else matters
cranberries - linger
seal - kiss from a rose
shaggy - it wasn't me
blur - song 2
the calling - wherever you will go
the white stripes - seven nation army
john mayer - your body is a wonderland
norah jones - don't know why
jason mraz - i'm yours
jack johnson - taylor
3 doors down - here without you
damien rice - the blower's daughter
radiohead - high and dry
alicia keys - if i ain't got you
hoobastank - the reason
coldplay - fix you
snow patrol - chasing cars
bruno mars - just the way you are
bob dylan - make you feel my love
beyoncé - halo
the swell season - falling slowly
taylor swift - love story
ed sheeran - thinking out loud
>>
>>63293172
>no B chord
lmao who the fuck made this?
>>
>>63293172
Douchebags don't know how to play 7th chords m8
>>
>>63292556
W O N D E R W A L L
>>
>>63292556
its not that hard just learn G C D A and E and youre pretty much set

this is pretty autistic OP its not that hard to figure out basic chords
>>
>>63298878
OP wants specific songs, though.
>>
>>63292556
>knows how to play jazz guitar
>can't play wanderwall, knocking on heavens door and shit like that.
Fake as fuck
>>
>>63292873

Kind of sad that this is what everyone remembers incubus by. Their guitarist is a fabulously inventive musician and a super nice dude on top of it. Like the complete antithesis of a frat boy
Douche in person
>>
>>63298937
just learn wonderwall/basic oasis and other generic 90s/early 2000s pop songs

but you can pretty much just fuck around with those chords and spew out some shit about love and summer and shit and it wont be much different
>>
File: kingofthehill.jpg (571 KB, 1547x1547) Image search: [Google]
kingofthehill.jpg
571 KB, 1547x1547
>>63292556

>Stops learning the panty-dropping genre that is chord melody jazz
>Thinks girls give a shit about the campfire guitar guy
>Obviously doing it for female attention

Kid, being the party's jukebox won't turn out the way you think it will. Keep up with jazz, you'll be a better person for it.

I guarantee you that sluts in their 30's are WAY better than sluts under the age of 20. And the only hot sluts over 30 are definitely fucking the swanky jazz man over the backwards hat dude strumming the same, tired old fucking Memey Cash songs.
>>
File: 2432.gif (471 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
2432.gif
471 KB, 500x377
>>63299023
>>
Obligatory Wonderwall
Jason Mraz songs
Maroon V hits
Hey there Delilah
>>
>>63299023
>wanting to fuck 30+ year olds
that's fucking gross
>>
Rec pussycore songs.
>>
-Californication
-Wonderwall
-Let Her Go (learn proper fingerstyle)
>>
>>63298386
Nice douchelist
>>
>>63298841
They do mate, only the dominant seventh though
>>
>>63299146
You will understand it when you grow up kid
>>
>>63295290
>I can only into keyboard/piano
I used to feel the same way and really despised guitar in high school but I took a few months to learn guitar and it really regret not doing it earlier.

>>63292556
I'd recommend Eagles - Hotel California
because it helps you to practice barring chords
>>
>>63301006
thx
>>
>>63299778
Labrinth - Jealous
>>
>>63293827
It's always creepy unless they like you back.
>>
>>63295290
The almost of hatred in this post is delicious.

In fairness, it is warranted.
>>
Wonderwall
>>
File: 1451913215387.png (190 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1451913215387.png
190 KB, 400x320
>>63292556

You've got the douchebag part down already OP, just play guitar.
>>
>>63293827
>>63293867
>>63302701
/r/ing webm of that fedora kid trying to impress the girl in a dance class
>>
>>63292556
Fuck that, learn you fingerpick like a pro and you'll swim in pussy.
>>
Fuck that, let's try and make a list of non-douchebag songs with easy chord sequences. I'll start:

>Grateful Dead - Box of Rain
>Country Joe & the Fish - Who Am I
>Dave Van Ronk - Hang Me Oh Hang Me
>Neil Young - Tell Me Why
>Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
>Mac Demarco - My Kind of Woman
>Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
>>
>>63298966

I don't like incubus but a certain shade of green (acoustic) is fucking phenomenal
>>
>>63304043
Two-Headed Boy
>>
>>63304509
B...b...but it has a B chord
>>
>>63304540
Mr Tambourine Man
>>
>>63304765
Nice one (this is really just a way for me to get new songs to play)
>>
>>63292556
Get shanked
>>
>>63304809
You the OP?
>>
>>63292556
how did you learn your scales
>>
Radiohead- Creep

Also learn Because I got high by afroman...you know...because..nigga
>>
Learn the Northumbrian small pipes instead
>>
>>63305425
No, I am creator of the non-douchebag list
>>
File: 1456448136290.png (120 KB, 487x328) Image search: [Google]
1456448136290.png
120 KB, 487x328
>>63292556
>>
File: here.gif (2 MB, 420x298) Image search: [Google]
here.gif
2 MB, 420x298
>>63305880
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.