[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: texturecore_start.png (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
texturecore_start.png
2 MB, 2000x2000
Recently there was a short series of threads on mu called "/texture/". The purpose was to create a flow chart of how to find music you like related to texture. I wasn't able to stick around and see how it all went together but from what I gathered from the archives it went pretty terribly. pic related.

Part of the problem is no definition or set of qualifications were made for this chart. By their nature, genre charts are restrictive but for this one literally anything is acceptable. All music has timbre and texture.

On top of this, how do we define good texture? or a better question would probably be how do we identify good use of texture?

Still, we all have an inclination of what should and shouldn't go on this chart so I feel it might be worth another shot. Things like loveless and pulse demon have to go on that chart, right? That's if this chart should even be made.
>>
>>63291114
from what it seems, these are also very layered albums? I think. I feel like person pitch should be on there.e
>>
The "more psychadelic" album is Deliverance by Culprit btw.

also I don't think a Texture flowchart is as needed as a Noise flowchart or an IDM flowchart.
>>
that flowchart gave me cancer
>>
File: TextureChart1.jpg (1 MB, 2300x1920) Image search: [Google]
TextureChart1.jpg
1 MB, 2300x1920
>>63291114

I went ahead and remade the chart before getting any imput which is really dumb. I'm sure my personal bias has ruined it in some ways but it's still an improvement I think.

The intent was simply to move through albums of various genres which focus on timbre and texture. For many of them it is their most important quality.

It's clearly unfinished because there are plenty of other genres I don't have enough knowledge. Also I forgot some good ones like the goslins and pan sonic.
>>
>>63291170
ah yeah, that's a good choice. I'll be keeping track of this and making changes if I get enough feed back
>>
File: DAWUWADAUW.jpg (197 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
DAWUWADAUW.jpg
197 KB, 1000x1000
Fuck this whole concept. post actual texture core
>>
>>63291314
This is great! please, take the chart and make additions and changes. I can see this going near alva noto.
>>
>>63291314
>>63291391
But also, getting back to the op, what make's it texture core and how does it successfully use texture? what's the foundation that we can build the chart on?
>>
>>63291249
Never heard 12, gonna have to give it a shot and then follow the chart to get to the few others I haven't heard either. I think this one has potential, for example going directly from Sunbather to Skinny Fists when I'm pretty sure there's at least something you could put in between but I'm not sure what at the moment.
>>
>>63291114
>>63291249
This is all standard rock music and hip hop and stuff, where's the actual textures?
>>
>>63291170

By definition texture is a combination of timbres, so naturally layering creates a complex texture. As opposed to these charts you could make a chart that flows from most dense and layered to least dense while still focusing on texture. >>63291314 is minimal and unlayered but is certainly texture focused.

Its also interesting to think about the difference between texture and timbre. We don't have an ear for each instrument and besides with home listening the audio is coming out of a single file and synthetically reproduced through a speaker. Isn't timbre automatically lost unless you're just listening to one instrument? Ionno maybe im being stupid.
>>
>>63291594
The bulk of the chart is electronic. Start with Infinite Body and go to the right or down to summer in my veins.

I don't think the hip hop albums are standard but I'm also not an expert in that department. I mean, I know death grips is old meme'd news here on /mu/ but I think it still deserves a place on the chart.

yeh, the rock stuff is pretty straight forward. Let's make some changes!

>>63291512
It's actually my favorite album (like I said, lots of bias in the chart). It is a bit too ambient for a starting spot but it has incredible variety in the texture department and I think it's impossible not to like this album so I picked it as a starter. I hope you like it :)
>>
>>63291114
>just give me something great
>OK Computer
>OK FUCKING COMPUTER
kill your self op
>>
>>63291803
read the post you faggot, he says that chart is awful
>>
>>63291803
yo, read the post. This is the failed chart some other op made (bless his heart) a few days ago. I made a new one. We're attempting to fix it. Start by reading the post and answering the questions.
>>
F#A#oo is a better example of texture than lysf tbhfam
>>
>>63291114
Jesus Christ what a clusterfuck of an chart
its like "hey lemme just scatter around some /mu/core"
>>
File: cover.jpg (561 KB, 1150x1150) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
561 KB, 1150x1150
This and Tanning Salon are great for that Tape VHS Sadness texture
>>
File: IMG_0579.jpg (17 KB, 131x172) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0579.jpg
17 KB, 131x172
>>63291114
>not putting the names of the albums underneath them
>>
>>63291928
K. As another anon suggested there's probably a better bridge than gsybe to deaf heaven. Have any ideas for a missing piece between that connection?
>>
>>63291249
>got rid of Fly Pan Am
why?
>>
>>63291114
Spiderland has little to no texture, same with OK Computer.
>>
>>63292742
Haven't listened to it yet.

>>63292787
Which is why it's not in the new one. Don't tell me you posted before reading :O

Does anyone want the ps file to keep this going? I need to go to bed.
>>
>>63292973
Lets just not have it be a flowchart. Make an essential chart separated by genre.
>>
why not this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHgZOMQQTDA
>>
>>63293229
mmk. I'll get it started tomorrow. It'll be easier to have others contribute where I am lacking with that kind of chart too so that'll be good.
>>
File: filosofem.jpg (678 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
filosofem.jpg
678 KB, 1000x1000
So where would the texture of "buzzsaws being run inches away from each of your ears" fit into this?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfA5rBAmppE
>>
Until you fucking idiots put fall of troy's manipulator and mpp on there, this chart is objectively shit and I refuse to acknowledge any texture threads from this point on
>>
>>63293463
it sounds like electrictricity more than anything, my favorite kind of texture
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.