[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Urban Tribalism general >What is urban tribalism? urban tribalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
Urban Tribalism general

>What is urban tribalism?
urban tribalism is an umbrella term that encompasses music in several genres and styles. It's often a blend of tribal ambient with frantic, attacking noise pop or freak folk-tinged elements. EAI also features heavily.

>what are the essentials?
these albums. But I'm posting this mainly to get some more suggestions!

>where to start?
If you like freak folk, start with Little Teeth or Natalie Rose Lebrecht. If you like noise, start with Boredoms. If you want to hear the best the genre has to offer, listen to hollinndagain
>>
File: holy lel.png (15 KB, 183x239) Image search: [Google]
holy lel.png
15 KB, 183x239
this fucking thread man
>>
>>63288974
if you think that these aren't the best 12 recordings on earth you are a retread
>>
is this a new meme that i missed
admittedly i've only heard warraw and beasts in the garden from that chart but if you tried to tell me that those records were "urban tribalism" i'd call you a fucking spastic
>>
Fresh new meme
>>
>>63290419
it's a great idea!

Sunshine Has Blown should probably be on there, and a bit of Krautrock
>>
>>63288950
isnt this just neo psych/freak folk?

Ive only listened to 3 of those albums and have been meaning to check out warraw. Thanks for this list, but pls no memes.
>>
>>63290557
>>63290419
>>63289091
these aren't memes, these albums are all great, and while admittedly hollindagain and god's money are much more urban tribalist than warraw and beast in the garden, they still fall under te same umbrella imo

>>63290516
I'm not too familiar with kraut desu, any recs?
>>
>>63290557
the only true freak folk record on this list is warraw. I GUESS child bearing man too. I GUESS
>>
Beaches and Canyons and Dead Drunk don't belong on the chart.

I love Avey but all of Terrestrial Tones is pretty lackluster.

And Here Comes the Indian is better than Hollinndagainn. The first half of Hollinnd is very good but it very quickly degenerates.
>>
File: Animals.jpg (53 KB, 250x276) Image search: [Google]
Animals.jpg
53 KB, 250x276
>Urban tribalism
>No James Ferraro or Spencer Clark

Big mistake
>>
>>63290608
Tago Mago, Cottonwoodhill, Phallus Dei probably fit best, and were probable among direct influences on a good portion of that

i don't see how M-B fits into the picture, btw. The closing track on Charlie does but it's a one-off

also Cut Hans - Black Mamba
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqlKiC7fD6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIa_hCdF8kE

would opn fit the bill
>>
Hollinndagain is one of AnCo's top 3 albums, it's like a not shitty Danse
Try to prove me wrong
>>
>>63290940
Too urban, not enough tribal.
>>
>>63290946
After Lablakely Dress it falls off hard.

Otherwise you're accurate.
>>
File: tribbles.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tribbles.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>63290940
He's god-tier but >>63290967 is right
>>63291000
Tell it to the Mountain has some really good vocals on it but I agree it's a bit lackluster, needed to be fleshed out more. But that recording of Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite is the best I've ever heard m8e.
Also nice tribbles.
>>
>>63291000
that version of lablakely dress and the entire show its from is AnCo's top moment
>>
>>63291198
I kind of agree but I feel like it's missing something without the quiet vocal mixing it has on Danse
Also Meet the Light Child beats it tbqh
>>
i don't think this classification makes any sense
the AnCo and Black Dice music comes from noise music culture
Melt-Banana comes from noise-core and has more in common with Dillinger or Russian Circles

Boredoms came from a prog rock tradition

Gang Gang Dance is electronic-laden experimental/art rock

Spires make that whole new weird america avant-folk stuff

and raccoooo-oo-oon take their stuff from ambient lo-fi music

it just doesnt make sense to group this stuff together,
>>
File: mog.png (1 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
mog.png
1 MB, 1400x1400
does this count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2t0sXXlcwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy71oN96nTA
>>
>>63291317
Listen to HCTI and cave of spirits forever and tell me you don't hear why they belong together
>>
>>63291424
i agree that raccoon and anco have a lot more in common than the other groups because they share an electronic music background but they are working in very different parameters, noise music versus ambient music
>>
>>63291554
Never heard of these Raccoon guys but they sound breddy gud, where should I start with them as an anco fan?
>>
>>63292448
Is Night People.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.