[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people obsess over stupid stuff like black and death metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: The Rivalry.jpg (829 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
The Rivalry.jpg
829 KB, 1000x1000
Why do people obsess over stupid stuff like black and death metal when heavy/power metal is clearly the best?
>>
black metal fans are shoegaze kids in disguise tbdesu
>>
Because black and death (when done right) are better
>>
>>63284169
It's not "people". It's your average /mu/ goer, or hipster, who finds heavy/power metal cheesy and stupid, while black can more intellectual or whatever.

11 years ago when I started really being into music I started with metal, and listened and loved all genres. Now I've broaden a lot my spectrum of tastes, and I can see why some people don't like power metal much. But the "obsession" you mention does not happen in the metal scene, where you get all kinds of people with different tastes.
>>
>>63284391

I agree, I think it's just loudmouthed internet dweebs. Still, even on regular metal forum I think the extreme metal dorks have more representation than heavy metal or power metal fans, even though the latter music is to me a lot better in quality and makes for listening. In general death metal lyrics are complete meaningless garbage, read anything from Incantation's so much praised "Onward to Golgotha", this stuff is from a native English-speaking band yet sounds like it was written by an edgy 13-year old Mexican.
>>
>>63284322

Better at what? There's not one catchy hook or riff in any of the "best" black or death metal albums, and I enjoy some of both. By "best" from each I'd consider Transilvanian Hunger and Effigy of the Forgotten.
>>
Power/heavy metal is more mature, these edgy kids haven't grown up yet so they think they're cool for listening to noisy music about Satan and darkness.
>>
>>63284526
Well, black and death metal have been blended with so much stuff that I also have a bigger interest with them nowadays. However, shitting on power metal for being "too happy" or whatever is just edgy teenagers stuff. To be fair, I distrust most metal head that will not enjoy something like Blind Guardian.

Lyrics wise, well, there are all kind of retarded shit, that's true, but I'd say it's not restricted to some genre in particular.

All metal can be enjoyed. Some is better, some is worse, some has more quality, some is just for fun, but when one goes out of their teenage years, there's no reason to shit on anything.
>>
>>63284559
>listening to extreme metal for "hooks" and "catchiness"
Oh boy you are doing it wrong. If you want catchy riffs in death metal just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhkz6sZaz4g
Heavy and power metal (at least classic power metal and not Helloween derivative garbage) are good at having catchy hooks, death and black metal (at least the good kind and not the over-polished mall trash) aim for something different. There are plenty of great riffs in the genre but if you're looking for catchiness in the vein of Omen and Mercyful Fate then I'm sorry but you need to take a different approach into the genre
>>
>>63284526
>lyrics
Opinion discarded, most fans of the genre couldn't give two shits what the band writes about they're just in it for the music
>>
>>63284836

Meaningful lyrics amplify the effect of music tenfold. Grow up.
>>
power metal is just pop with a metal aesthetic.
>>
Keeper of the 7 keys II is so good
>>
>>63285087
my nigga
>>
>>63284959
No they don't, lyrics in music are pretty poor 90% of the time anyway, if I wanted something thought provoking or insightful I'd go read a book. Death and black metal have shit lyrics but power and heavy metal don't fare much better, does that make the music any worse? No, Cirith Ungol and Grim Reaper have bland lyrics but that doesn't matter because their music is fucking amazing, the same applies to Blasphemy and Order From Chaos
>>
>>63285168
you really think an album like Ziltoid the Omniscient would be nearly as good with random lyrics?
>>
>>63285287
It would be awkward but Devin's music would be as shitty as it usually is. Granted lyrics serve less importance in death and black metal when the vocals are hard to understand and serve to only highlight the filthiness of the music itself but regardless lyrics are not as important as you make them out. So long as you put down something cohesive it'll work fine.
>>
>>63285412
I made the Ziltoid post but I'm not the same guy you were arguing with earlier. Either way I guess this really just comes down to personal preference
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.