[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best producer of all time = Richard David James aka. Aphex Twin.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: aphex-twin-electronic-beats.jpg (101 KB, 1000x849) Image search: [Google]
aphex-twin-electronic-beats.jpg
101 KB, 1000x849
Best producer of all time = Richard David James aka. Aphex Twin. Discuss.
>>
>>63277719
That's not Legowelt.
>>
>>63277719
Great musician but production has never been his strong suit
>>
>>63277719
Richard is my waifu
>>
One of the best tracks from his latest album Syro, if anyone wants to give it a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAJ8KLGqis he literally produced hundreds of top tier tracks with great diversity though. it's impossible to keep track of it.
>>
>>63277719
r/music
>>
>>63277719
he probably thinks he is :^)
>>
>>63277936
but he doesn't know he is, like kanye
>>
>>63277949
true
>>
Fun facts:
- He says the only thing that matters about music is making your brain tingle in the right way
- Says he only makes music for himself, has hundreds of tracks he forgot to release.
- Is said to have Synesthesia and gets his inspiration from lucid dreams.
- Prolly invented several genres himself such as ambient techno, drum and bass & more.
- Rumor says his name is Aphex Twin because he had a twin brother who died at birth.
>>
>let's take dance music and fedorize it so white nerds will find it acceptable
>>
>>63277719
love him but, no. He doesn't seem to care too much about things like sound quality. He just seems interested in making it legible enough to make it enjoyable
>>
he's not really a producer and his intent has never been to have good production
dude just likes to twist knobs on synths
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrQC-jWMFM another top tier track
>>
>>63278118
What's more accurate then? Best artist?
>>
>>63277719
>implying the best producer of all time isn't Eno or Nigel Godrich
>>
>>63277719
He's great but not the best
Autechre are better at the very least, and Boards of Canada beat him as far as making good shit goes
>>63277971
>invented drum & bass
what
>>63277994
ebin
>>
to a degree it's kind of stupid to call people like RDJ a producer. I get that he is one but it makes more sense to just call him a musician, because in a more common sense he isn't a producer. Like, just because you make great tracks doesn't mean you know how to produce records at a high level, actually working with players and getting live instrumental performances to sound like good on a record is a completely different thing.

It's pretty easy to make shit sound good when you are a solo person making electronic music. What really matters more is composition at that point.
>>
>>63277971
He's also a renowned bullshitter so I would take 80% of the stuff he says with a grain of salt
>>
>>63278187
all of that (minus the 'he created ambient techno & drum and bass bullshit) are actually believable though, he's confirmed to have a fuckton of unreleased stuff and he had a stillborn brother also named Richard James
>>
>>63278227
was his brother also called aphex?
>>
>>63278285
No, but it's not unbelievable that that's where he derived the name from
>>
>>63278187
Speaking as someone with synesthesia who has at times stayed awake for days when making electronic music, I can tell you it's all probably true, cept you know the twin who knows. Like, it's really not that weird. lots of people see stuff in their head when they hear music and if you try making good music you end up staying up all night and after a while you end up with lucid dreams cause you just fuck up your brain and rem sleep kicks as soon as you shut ur eyes.
>>
>>63278306
I thought it was because there used to be two of them
>>
>>63278324
Nah, he did start Rephlex with a guy he used to make a bunch of music with though
>>
>>63278324
dude, what if it's like that movie and there are two that switch?
>>
>>63278324
Aphex means "superior" or "the best" or something like that, see: Aphex predator. Top of the foodchain. It's pretty brutal when you think about it actually.
>>
>>63278342
>RDJ is actually just Autechre in masks
woa
>>
>>63278341
Tom Middleton?
>>
>>63278355
that's apex you moron

>his adopted name was taken from Aphex Systems Limited, a brand of audio single processing equipment. Twin, he says, is in memory of his older brother who died at birth, who was also named Richard James.
>>
>>63278355
m8 that's apex, not aphex
>>63278383
I guess, don't remember the guy's name 2bh
>>
>>63278355
I thought they just copied it from Aphex Systems
>>
>>63278415
This is the actual answer, you morons
>>
>>63278415
they
>>
>>63278487
see
>>63278398
>>
>>63278311
>Speaking as someone with synesthesia who has at times stayed awake for days when making electronic music, I can tell you it's all probably true, cept you know the twin who knows. Like, it's really not that weird. lots of people see stuff in their head when they hear music and if you try making good music you end up staying up all night and after a while you end up with lucid dreams cause you just fuck up your brain and rem sleep kicks as soon as you shut ur eyes.

Interesting. How does it work for you? You can see music? and what motivates you to make music?
>>
>>63278533
since you got dubs

it's mostly shapes but also colors. different timbres often give shapes textures but the textures are more like a continuation of the shapes. Like if you hit a drum there's a certain round rectangle, and depending on the way the drum sounds it looks different. If it's one of those basketball bounce sounding snares there's like a fuzzyness but also a solid part that snaps with the drum. Melodic intruments create different patterns through their movement. Interestingly one time I was talking to this other young engineer and he was showing me tech death metal stuff he's into and when I said something about how I liked the angularity of it his eyes lit up and he knew what I was talking about cause he sees shapes too. He actually made a motion with his hand through the air snapping his wrist back and forth and completely understood what he was talking about, you know as much as you can claim to understand anyone else's perspective I guess.

Interestingly though I lack a lot of musicianship and my visuals don't always correspond to even if a pitch is going up or down which can actually be distracting when you are trying to hear pitches to figure out something. The visuals are oriented in my head to my own internal space but also to the sources of sounds which makes stereo stuff very fun and I think I mix pretty well just cause, well practice really, but also practice listening to music. Seeing jagged shapes has always attracted me to atonal music and dense music. Doing drugs too some but I was into looking at music long before I did drugs ever. I didn't ever hang out with any friends or anything growing up and spent all my time reading and listening to music. I had no idea this place existed until a couple years ago, but I was lucky to have heard most of the music here before then just cause I used Wikipedia and limewire. I'm probably OCD and had some schizo trouble before but the OCD thing is tough cause I could spend 4 hours just decidin
>>
>>63277719
I just thought he was decent until I heard SAW Vol. II.

If you're not sold on RDJ being a fucking genius after listening to that album then I don't even know.
>>
>>63279172
g what music to put on my ipod. Also I went to a bunch of blogs and listened to a lot of bootleg shows of dad rock bands I liked when I was young.

Played guitar when I was younger but wasn't any good. I still struggle with the basics today really. I thought music would be something I could never do especially after some shitty experiences in middle school trying to learn for the school band.

Anyway, when deteriorating mental health was leading me to flunk out of acting school I started making music and just not caring about it being good but just trying to help myself. My first stuff was in my dorm with a laptop microphone (didn't have a smartphone) and audacity. Don't still have those recordings cause my computer broke but I remember a few songs on the guitar were played unplugged and I had a 12 string too and one song was made murmuring while I opened and closed the desk drawer.

For a while after I flunked out I kept making acoustic type of stuff and some noise and things. Eventually got into more electronic stuff and after a while I got pretty decent at that. It's kind of funny cause there's people I used to show my atonal improvised folk jazz stuff too that were probably freaked out and repulsed, but now I've got some electronic stuff that's more hi fi and now it's like people still think I'm crazy but they are more confused when it sounds good.

My stuffs out there and there's some autist that posts it on mu a lot. He told me he was gonna turn me into a meme but it pretty hilariously failed. Frankly I was surprised but it's a relief really.
>>
>>63279670
Got a link to it? I'm genuinely interested and haven't seen anything like that memed around here.
Actually, are you that RUI guy?
>>
>>63279361
Honestly I like only about 1/4 of the tracks on saw 2. Some really amazing ones but the harsh/ominous ones are a bit meh.
>>
File: quasimoto inpainting.jpg (502 KB, 2360x1289) Image search: [Google]
quasimoto inpainting.jpg
502 KB, 2360x1289
>>63279730
yep.
>>
I unironically think the best producer of all time is either Joey Beltram or Shackleton.

If we can count duos, then 4hero.
>>
>>63279816
Assuming they weren't what you said you lost on your hard drive, is there any way you could make some of your older albums available again? I don't have anything before Un and it would be fascinating to hear that stuff.
>>
As someone who can claim to be a superfan of Richard, I'd have to disagree. He's much more of a musician than someone who is interested in making music sound pleasing for anyone who hears it.
>>
George Martin. Is best producer
>>
>>63279990
Yeah there's lots that's not visible on my bandcamp. Since my gifs have been a bit of an annoyance to mu I don't mind making some more available to people who care.

There should be 3 more older albums there now. Also, this EP is completely new https://craigculberton.bandcamp.com/album/danger-2
>>
>>63280423
Shit man, thanks for doing that, just grabbed all of them. Also I'm not sure if you're aware or if it's intentional, but Realityblow isn't available for download.
>>
>>63279670
Do you support yourself with your music or do you have to work a day job?
>>
>>63280661
Looks like you fixed it, thanks again man
>>
>>63277719
If we talking about electronic music
>production
then Amon Tobin is definetly the best.
Just fucking listen to Foley Room, this kind of futuristic "organic" sound was merely achieved by others only in recent years, while he have done it decade ago.
>>
>>63280661
no problem. I don't know how long they'll be up but I ought to give back anyway since the internet gave me so much music.

>>63280816
I have made exactly 75 cents from music. Someone once brought Un (if they see this thanks).

Some day it would be cool to do music full time. Right now I'm at New England Tech in RI learning a/v production and I live with my parents.

also I make videos to. This one is the longest that's released right now. I realized the other day the soundtrack reminds me of that new liturgy album. I never listened to them before but I got into the Ark Work and was driving round all week listening to it, then on friday I watched this with a friend and I was like that's why I like liturgy, they did my thing better than me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Y2N4JSHuM

>>63280959
thanks for being interested. There's gonna be more stuff this year coming out but I don't know when. At least one more lo fi album is totally done already but there's a video that's unfinished.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.