[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they the only good metalcore band? It seems to me like everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: convergejanedoe.jpg (391 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
convergejanedoe.jpg
391 KB, 1425x1425
Are they the only good metalcore band? It seems to me like everything else in the whole genre is just edgy emo teens with shitty haircuts and whiny voices.
>>
check out Botch and Code Orange

Converge is indeed dope though
>>
>converge is le only good mealcore :^)
Converge is garbage and so is every other single metalcore band
>>
>>63275572
Don't you have a book report to write?
>>
>>63275523
No. And I fucking love Converge, but the "edgy emo teen with shitty haircuts" thing kinda originated with them.

But, yeah, you're going to be recommended Botch and TDEP by virtually everyone in this thread, so I'll throw in Gaza, Cult Leader, Rolo Tomassi, The Fall of Troy, Norma Jean and Exotic Animal Petting Zoo to mix it up a bit.

>>63275572
Rude desu
>>
>>63275523
Well look for bands that are considered similar to Converge then, such as most mathcore as a whole

Bands like:
>Botch
>Cave In
>The Dillinger Escape Plan
>Daughters (early, although there later albums are good just not metalcore)
>As the Sun Sets
>Narrows

Not sure if you will like these but may as well see:
>Every Time I Die
>The Chariot
>>
File: gomorrah.jpg (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
gomorrah.jpg
102 KB, 600x600
>>63275523
no
>>
Birds in Row & Calvaiire are also good
>>
>>63275523
Converge and Botch are terrible, metalcore for p4k drones
>>
Car Bomb if you count that.
>>
>>63275637
>they're bad because pitchfork likes them
Converge are objectively good. Name a metalcore band you like and I guarantee you Converge will be the first band they mention in terms of influences. It must be difficult having to stop liking things when Pitchfork also likes them.
>>
essential shitty melodic metalcore
august burns red - thrill seeker
unearth - oncoming storm
as i lay dying - frail words collapse
it dies today - caitiff choir
ligeia - your ghost is a gift
>>
File: Breakdown_Of_Sanity_-_Mirrors.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Breakdown_Of_Sanity_-_Mirrors.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
Personally I think this is a top example of what modern metalcore is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWp3F1PRW4s

Enough of this "Converge is the only good metalcore band" meme there's tons of good shit that isn't mathcore influenced.
Typical /mu/core "I only listen to real music" kids, metalcore isn't meant to be 2deep
it's mostly about having fun and losing your shit to sick breakdowns and catchy choruses.
>>
>>63275669
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiqWkwiGVo
>>
File: VR054.jpg (88 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
VR054.jpg
88 KB, 600x600
>>63275612
fuck yeah
>>
>>63275523
Check The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, Textures, The Black Dahlia Murder, Sylosis, Dakrest Hour, first Killswitch Engage album, Integrity and ERRA
>>
>>63275669
It's true, Of Mice & Men and Emmure have actually listed Converge as a top influence.
>>
>>63275692
This sounds like nu metal lol
>>
BTBAM pre Colors is essential metalcore desu

also post god-tier breakdowns itt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4agwrjWcA&feature=youtu.be&t=269
>>
>>63275801
https://youtu.be/5XlccGu58Bc?t=1m25s

it's about a dead friend btw
>>
>>63275855
that didnt work properly but oh well skip to 1m25 or so
>>
That's because you didn't bother to actually explore the genre and made a snap decision based off a /mu/ approved album.

for a starting point, check out:
Starkweather - Into the Wire
Rorschach - Protestant
Acme - To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist

Bannon himself will tell you that Converge basically started as an amalgamation of those three bands.

If you want more chaotic, technical metalcore in the same style as JD:
Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Creation is Crucifixion - In_Silico
Botch - We are the Romans
Born Under Saturn - Reflecting the Beautiful Design

if you want old school metallic hardcore with plenty of riffs to punch people to:
Integrity - Those Who Fear Tomorrow
Earth Crisis - Destroy the Machines
Ringworm - The Promise
>>
>>63275523
>>63275609

Forgot to put in my original post, you might also wanna check out

>The Locust
>Retox
>Some Girls
>Head Wound City

These aren't really metalcore, more just hardcore but worth checking out none the less. The first two have the same singer, although his in all these bands just not singing in all of them.
>>
>>63275523
>edgy emo teens with shitty haircuts and whiny voices
>basing your judgement on the quality of music by the appearance of the musicians
>>
Also don't forget Trancecore which is an off-shoot of metalcore and post-hardcore that includes trance style synths, interludes and autotune.

Attack Attack! - Someday Came Suddenly
Abandon All Ships - Geeving
Enter Shikari - Take To The Skies
>>
Car Bomb's v^vv^vv or however you spell out the album is severely underrated
>>
>>63275523
You'd probably like breach, deadguy, coalesce and kiss it goodbye in addition to what >>63275897 said
>>
>>63277219
Also nostromo and catharsis
>>
>>63275609
>>63275678
>>63275689
>>63275707
>>63275997
OP said no music for edgy emo teens with shitty haircuts and whiny voices. Do you not know how to read?
>>
>>63277350
Well then the thread was ruined from the start, because converge is the edgiest band itt
>>
>>63275997
jesus christ no, please, just no. attack attack and abandon all ships are literally trash, take to the skies is meh but enter shikari has one cool album though and that would be common dreads.
>>
The UK underground is hard as fuck right now:

https://renounced.bandcamp.com/album/the-melancholy-we-ache
https://thexessence.bandcamp.com/album/abolition-language-of-violence-ep
https://gaiableeds.bandcamp.com/
https://xrepentancex.bandcamp.com/track/repentance

>>63275678
>>63275689
>>63275997
Dogshit suggestions

>>63275897
>>63275909
you know what the fuck is up. Would add Nails to the "not metalcore but worth checking out" list.
>>
>>63275523
The Chariot is the only metalcore band I've ever come close to liking.
>>
>>63277479
Once you get to post-patrician level you realise how great AA! and AAS really are

>>63277584
You do realise all those bands are just retreads of late90s early00s metalcore eg Disembodied?

just because it's all underground doesn't mean it's automatically better than "false metalcore"

I do like the sound of Renounced however
>>
>>63277706
I'm aware it's a metalcore revival, yeah.
It's still hard as fuck though and strikes tones for the uk kids.
We've been missing music with this level of emotional content or political conviction lately, and it's cool having bands that are seriously fucking crushing again.
>>
>>63277737
Fair doos whatever floats your boat, I think I'm getting too old for emotional/political content, as long as it's bringing the mosh or gets my feet moving I don't really care if it's pleb-tier mosh or underground mosh. Good rec's either way though.

out of interest what's your opinion on the Rucktion Records scene? i used to buzz off Six Ft. Ditch
>>
Try Burst from Sweden, already disbanded but they were great....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_HTI5r2X4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6lQ4ShnPg
>>
At the gates is some essential metalcore imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCtjAmtIGf0
>>
>>63277954
HEH
>>
Botch, Norma Jean, Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried And Me, Underoath, and maybe Architects are some places to start. Indie is always better in the metalcore scene, try Bandcamp.

My personal favorites are Botch, DEP, and BTBAM
>>
>>63275801
>pre-Colors

but Colors is their best album?

Or do you say that because they shifted away from metalcore after that
>>
In terms of extremely mainstream metalcore, August Burns Red and The Devil Wears Prada's 2 most recent EPs are really the only good shit I can think of.
>>
>>63277584
big fan of xRepentancex. the world has been missing out on some militant vegan jihadcore for awhile. shame they just split up.
>>
Check their peers and the bands that influenced them
Deadguy
Catharsis
Botch
Coalesce
Starkweather
Cave in
Integrity
>>
The Killing Tree is pretty good for the fucking abomination of a genre that is metalcore
>>
Metalcore honestly isn't that bad of a genre, the problem is it's represented by some of the worst the genre has to offer
>>
>>63278328
Basically every genre
>>
>>63278158
Architects first album is essential mathcore.

Everything after that isn't the greatest
>>
File: tumblr_o3ok8tPSaZ1r8sv83o1_1280.jpg (199 KB, 1280x954) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3ok8tPSaZ1r8sv83o1_1280.jpg
199 KB, 1280x954
What your average Converge fans look like
>>
>>63278441
I wish
>>
>Still into metalcore
>2016

Why aren't you into atmoblack like all the cool kids are
>>
Literally LITERALLY how has nobody mentioned nails yet ffs
>>
>>63278328
>>63278337

It reminds me more of how emo was considered a few years ago. Rather than bands like Moss Icon or Indian Summer, people were all under the impression that emo consisted of awful scenecore bands and dismissed the whole thing.
>>
Better question, how long until post-hardcore gets separated from the metalcore scene completely and realizes it's full potential as a genre?
>>
>>63275897
I'd recommend everything from the old Bremen hardcore scene; Acme, Systral, Carol, Shikari, Zann are all reall good
>>
>>63278532
When metalheads stop thinking post-hardcore is metalcore with clean vocals
>>
>>63278494

see >>63277584

>>63278497
luckily everyone knows now that REAL emo is American Football and Sunny Day Real Estate!!
>>
>>63278532
post-hardcore was a thing before metalcore. what are you even talking about?
>>
>>63278596
The scenes are pretty much one and the same at this point.
>>
>>63277832
Rucktion are jokes, I remember my mate saying a Six Ft Ditch pit was basically a giant fight, which he only realised because it continued after the music had stopped.
Knuckledust are fucking fantastic, the other bands on the roster don't particularly stir me.
I like what they do for the London scene, but it's not my thing.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.