[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you decide what albums are your favorite? Most emotional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1430273686286.jpg (183 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1430273686286.jpg
183 KB, 1124x1024
How do you decide what albums are your favorite? Most emotional response? How many times you've listened to them? What you believe the "quality" is?
>>
duration
>>
>>63269235
Mostly emotional response. One of my favorite albums is subjectively mediocre to most, but I love it for the nostalgia factor.
>>
you feel it in your heart
>>
The third one. I've found a common trend in my favorite albums is that

1. They effectively blur the line line between "pop" music and "experimental" music. They're rarely just one. Although I do like plenty in both sides, they're rarely my absolute favorites
2. I don't listen to them often. Listening to anything too much can ruin your perception of it
3. Either detailed music with lots of nuances, variety and ideas or based on one addicting idea that simply never gets old.
4. The first two rules are totally thrown out to window when it comes to instrumental music. I tend to love really dark, urgent, upbeat, and detailed instrumental music in particular. My taste in instrumental music leans entirely towards experimentation combined with emotion most of the time

Oh and me being able to dance or being able to connect it to certain real or theoretical memories helps too. Of course there are exceptions since my mind isn't a linear machine, but this is the guideline I default to when trying to find new music.
>>
>>63269515
>I don't listen to them often. Listening to anything too much can ruin your perception of it
How many times have you listened to your favorites? Isn't it hard to tell if you like something if you haven't memorized it?
>>
>>63269235
If I like the way they sound better than the way that other albums sound.
>>
The ones I enjoy listening to the most
>>
File: avril-lavigne-press-650b.jpg (64 KB, 636x421) Image search: [Google]
avril-lavigne-press-650b.jpg
64 KB, 636x421
>>63269559
Well obviously I listen to it enough to memorize and know that it's my favorite, I'm just saying I don't listen to it every day. Hell, even every week can get a little overwhelming. Sometimes I can go 6 months without hearing one of my favorite albums simply because I've been too busy listening to new music and good albums where I lose less if I end up listening to them too much.
>>
>>63269717
Do you start with a period of very frequent listening or do you listen to something once and decide to preserve it?
>>
The ones that are the least popular/mainstream
>>
>>63270058
The latter. I can usually tell within two or three listens (I go via a certain ritual when listening to music for the first time. 1st time is background music while doing something else. 2nd time I actively listen doing nothing else. 3rd time is the same thing only this time with the context of both positive and negative reviews) that a certain record is going to be my favorite because I actively listen. After those, I listen to periodically for half a week to a week and a half and I put it on hiatus.
>>
>>63269235
I know that i like an album when on the third or fourth listen, i cant make up my mind about which song is my favorite on the album
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.