[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't /mu/ talk about Steve Earle? He's arguably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: imgres.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
Why doesn't /mu/ talk about Steve Earle? He's arguably one of the best Americana songwriters since Springsteen
>>
Really? Nobody? I guess he's not a flavor of the month rap act hyped up by pitchfork so you guys don't care (though p4k has given him high scores I do believe).
>>
I didn't like that last season of The Wire.
>>
I love Steve Earle but he's kind of a gnarlier poor man's Townes Van Zandt which I think he'd readily acknowledge
>>
File: steve earle townes2.jpg (160 KB, 487x489) Image search: [Google]
steve earle townes2.jpg
160 KB, 487x489
Adult Alternative is not a popular genre amongst 4chan's disaffected youth. That said Steve's been on autopilot (creatively) since Washington Square Serenade, Maybe his recent divorce will rekindle his muse. His Townes tribute album was pretty tite tho. And Copperhead Road is shitkicker Country at it's finest. Glad /mu/ hasn't turned it into a meme ...yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBvdyQqpyc
>>
>>63258153
I think that's true, but I feel at least among the outlaw country crowd TVZ has finally gotten his due as a cult hero.

>>63258223
Yeah, I got to say Guitar Town, Exit 0, Copperhead Road, Train a Comin', I Feel Alright, El Corazon, and Transcendental Blues are all really solid albums, but he's not as creatively inspired as he used to be when it comes to his newer output.
>>
>>63256948
I like him as a country artist but /mu/ never talks about him.
>>
>>63256948
He's good. Nice guy too apparently.

>>63258153
>>63258223
Townes van zandt and guy clarke have a nice live album with him clled "together at the bluebird cafe", but Earle is my least favourite of the three.
>>
I always forget that he was in The Wire
>>
I listened to "Transcendental Blues" and the production was so shitty and bland and the songs were really boring and the entire thing was a waste of time but he has so much acclaim that i'm willing to give him another try if you guys tell me what album of his is good while also being NOTHING like that one
>>
>>63259227
That's the album I usually rec to people just starting out on Steve. If you like straightforward Country, Guitar Town and Copperhead Road are good. If you like alt-country El Corazon your best bet
>>
>>63259473
Copperhead Road is also like a country/hard rock hybrid as well.
>>
>>63259498
i think i really disliked the hard rock elements in Transcendental Blues a lot, and I felt the alt-rock production was doing a HUGE disservice to the material. I want something more tasteful and personal, so would El Corazon be a good album for that vibe?
>>
>>63259628
Probably. It's a lot less dated than his late 80s/early 90s forays into harder rock imo and lyrically is probably one of his most creative records.
>>
I really love his song "Someday". More like that?
>>
Copperhead Road is a dope song
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.