[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Giles Corey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: GCST-Cover.jpg (724 KB, 1113x1503) Image search: [Google]
GCST-Cover.jpg
724 KB, 1113x1503
What is the appeal of this album?

The vocals are trash, the "singer" sounds like some whiny faggot who's sad because his mommy didn't let him go to his green day concert or some shit.

The music itself isn't complex or even very innovative.

The only thing about this album that has any merit is the unique production, but you don't listen to an album just because you find the production interesting.

Red pill me on Giles Corey, /mu/.
>>
>>63256855
people like Dan's voice and melodies and harmony layering and the general depressing vibes the songs have

they just sound cool
>>
>>63256880
nah
>>
>>63256880
Is that it? Their personal taste? There's nothing objectively good about it?
>>
>you don't listen to music just because you find the production interesting

well, you don't anyway
i like giles corey, cool album with some great moments on it
>>
I WANNA FEEEEEEEEEEEEL LIKE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL WHEN I'M ASLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
>>
>>63256899
was written by one man with ACTUAL depression so it feels much more sincere
>>
>>63256855
More than likely you just don't understand depression, and that's fine. Just means it might not be for you. Is it just this album you can't get into? Are you into Have a Nice Life? What about slowcore or shoegaze?
>>
>>63256855
so you only listen to the music because its "objectively" good and "complex"?

you should get "red pill"ed on art
>>
>>63256934
>>63256957

I have had ACTUAL depression, diagnosed, and I still just think the guy is redundant in his sadboy factor. For me the annoyance and lack of interest outweighs any appeal the record would otherwise have. I like some HANL stuff but I have never really been able to truly get into shoegaze or slowcore, no. I try every once in a while and it just never clicks with me.
>>
>The music itself isn't complex or even very innovative.

*tips fedora* hello fellow classy gent of refined taste. I take it you are a fan of classical just like me? Would you happen to know where I could find more bands such as Queen or The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble?
>>
>isn't very complex or innovative

I guarantee whatever you listen to isn't either
>>
>>63256899
There's nothing "objectively good" about any album.
>>
as someone with actual depression, this album was only good before depression really hit me. now it seems pretentious as fuck and i just feel disinterested. it's a good album, some cool sounds, but idk it just feels like pretentious pseudo-depression-core...
>>
>>63256855
none, it's what you think depression feel like if you've never actually been depressed

it's the same appeal as "depressive suicidal black metal"
>>
>>63257021
Interesting. Just curious since I've been recently diagnosed as well and I listen to a lot of HANL and shoegaze and I can see the appeal of Giles Corey. How are you doing now? Has your taste changed since you started treatment?
>>
>>63257008
>>63257028
>>63257080

No, not at all. I listen to music if I enjoy it, and I just don't enjoy this record and don't really understand why it's regarded so highly in some circles. I'm a big fan of a lot of black metal bands, goth rock bands, ambient (often minimalist ambient), indie, prog, practically everything except for rap and country.
Most of the stuff I listen to is not complex, but it has other redeeming qualities that bring me to enjoy it. There are other groups (like, say, the Residents) that I don't enjoy a great deal but can appreciate their innovativeness or technical skill. Giles Corey is an enigma to me because I don't see much of anything redeemable in it.
>>
File: 4892848464.gif (2 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
4892848464.gif
2 MB, 250x187
>>63257181
>practically everything except for rap and country.
>>
>>63257181
>practically everything except for rap and country
>>
>>63257128
you're aware that Dan Barrett is a husband and father that attempted suicide, yes?

but no I'm sure your teen angst lets you see this for the poser tripe it really is
>>
>>63257179
Well the doc said the cause of my depression was severe vitamin d deficiency after he got my blood test results back, last winter or two winters ago now. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder so I'm only depressed around half the year and if I just take my little vitamin d pills everyday it improves my state slightly. But I assure you it's no less intense than other depression disorders, just more predictable I guess.

Anyways, yeah I started listening to a binch of metal and sad post-punk after having experienced depression and I still enjoy them, if to a lesser degree than before. To answer you directly yes my tastes changed, I just don't like shoegaze all that much.

>>63257250
>>63257275
Yeah I know guys, I'm a meme. Hilarious and original comments, both of you.
>>
>>63257181
Come on man, you were at least believable before. Don't include the rap and country line next time
>>
>>63257343
not saying he wasn't depressed far worse than myself, doesn't mean music accurately depicts everything.
>>
The music isn't complex in any way because Dan wrote all of Deathconsciousness and Giles Corey without any formal music training/education.
>>
>>63257351
maybe you just don't get it
>lack of vitamin d makes me depressed
go outside then faggot.
>>
>>63257369
Newfag here, can you explain to me what's wrong with not enjoying rap music or country music? Where does this meme come from?
>>
File: 1387161538200.jpg (18 KB, 271x389) Image search: [Google]
1387161538200.jpg
18 KB, 271x389
>>63257181
decent bait up until rap and country
>>
>>63257470
pretty much every normie, pleb, cute girl, that claims to listen to music usually say "i listen to everything but country and rap" when in reality they haven't listened to anything but top 40 radio "pop" or "alternative" shit.
>>
>>63256855
It's the exact same as AnCo except it's sadboys edition. anco is a mee and so is this album.
>>
>>63257470
don't worry about it. just give it a few years and you'll realize that what you just said is retarded. it's a phase that you'll grow out of if you keep trying to find new music
>>
>>63257343

>depression is a competition

When will this meme end?
>>
File: image.gif (93 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
93 KB, 576x720
>>63257181
>he listens to The Wacky Meme Eyeball Band Like So Weird XD
>>
>>63257181
Found the underage
>>
>>63257543
you realize the post preceding that one is literally "this music isn't about REAL depression like mine specifically"
>>
>>63257433
It's well established that it does make people depressed, and yeah I do go outside more now to avoid depression.

>>63257516
I have tried everything, including country and rap. The entire genre of rap is a meme and country just has FEW artists that I like. I can still listen to Cash and Neil Young. :^)

Just because there is still music that I don't enjoy it makes my opinion invalid? Fuck off with your meme anti-argument.

>>63257569
I said I don't like them but that I can appreciate their originality.

>>63257593
Found the gay nerd
>>
>>63257602
I never said it wasn't about real depression. i am just saying i don't think the music does a great job at accurately depicting depression, despite dan's experiences and ability
>>
>>63257737
sorry lad, you went in too deep. you're going to have to make the bait more subtle next time.
>>
>>63257737
what's your favorite dream pop band? Favorite shoegaze album?
>>
>>63257470
>what's wrong with not enjoying rap music or country music
Nothing necessarily, but it's usually the reasoning that irks people. A large majority of people who say they listen to everything except country and hip hop are teenagers and manchildren that have only listened to the bottom-of-the-barrel mainstream equivalent of it. They've made no attempt at venturing outside of their tiny bubble of music appreciation, even though they think they have, but will pretend as if they understand all they need to know about those genres. They're on the same as the "born in the wrong generation" crowd.

>>63257768
No, it just doesn't accurately depict your version of it.
>>
>>63257843
Slowdive. Deathconsciousness. Then again, I barely listen to it.

>>63257841
It's not bait, I'm just a sperg.

>>63257879
I'll admit that I haven't ventured very far into country, but I used to like rap and I hate it now. Worst musical genre.
>>
I hate that album, but the Hinterkaifeck EP is pretty good.
>>
>>63256899
Objectively good literally doesn't exist. Everything is personal taste.
>>
>>63257963
how many albums have you listened to total?
>>
>>63258288
Overall or just shoegaze?
>>
>>63258357
overall. by genre if you can be bothered to remember
>>
>>63257021
>I'M MORE SAD THAN THIS GUY LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I'M THE TRUEST SADBOY OF THEM ALL

You sound like a fucking faggot anon, everyone handles their own shit in their own fucking ways, Dan is not you and you are not Dan, you have no idea how his mind works, and he has no idea how your mind works, you are two different fucking people.

Please kill yourself.
>>
>>63258427
You kill yourself you braindead mongoloid fuckwit, I was just letting the guy know that I'm not a self-diagnosing attention whore, so that he knew I have been depressed and that me not having depression was not why I didn't like the album. I caps'd "actual" because one of the anons I replied to did.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>63258395
Fuck, let me think.. over 400 probably. Why?
>>
>>63258500
k fag
>>
>>63258568
WEW LAD
>>
>>63258631
What? WHAT?
>>
>>63258568
wew lad
>>
>>63258568
>>63258686
Are you aware that you've listened to jack shit?
>>
File: cake.png (871 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
cake.png
871 KB, 1360x768
>>63258686
I say again, wew lad

I have been rused for long enough. good day to you sir
>>
File: 1451352457382.gif (1 MB, 370x288) Image search: [Google]
1451352457382.gif
1 MB, 370x288
>>63258568
WEW LAD ;)
>>
>>63258802
>>63258742
>>63258728
>>63258725
>>63258631
Fug. How many is respectable, so I know?
>>
>>63258568
is this the epic new meme of 2016?
>>
>>63258850
Thousands.
>>
>>63258970
How many thousands?
>>
>>63258568
cringe ;) me by eighth grade
>>
>>63257021
If you've had actual serious depression/suicidal tendencies, you'd understand this album and Deathconiousness. No matter how "whiny" you think this album is, it perfectly fits the atmosphere of what it's like to be on the bathroom floor at 4 A.M. going through psychosis/anxiety attacks/thoughts of suicide/etc.
>>
>>63259018
I don't think anyone would fault you for having listened to only a thousand albums, but you might want several under your belt on your death bed.
>>
>>63259133
>If you've had actual serious depression/suicidal tendencies, you'd understand this album and Deathconiousness.
SHUT THE FUCK UP SHUT THE FUCK UP SHUT THE FUCK UP SHUT THE FUCK UP

HOLY SHIT YOU ARE LITERALLY RETARDED

I don't like Deathconciousness too much, and I fit your depression-elitisism criteria. People don't magically start liking ALL artistic expressions of depression once they get diagnosed.
>>
>>63256855
every reason you stated is exactly why I like this album.
>>
>>63259515
>thinking understanding an album and liking an album is the same thing
>calling someone retarded while acting like a retard

Actually end yourself
>>
>>63258568
are you still here, sperg-chan? what hip hop have you heard?
>>
>>63258850
Currently I have about 2,300. Don't actively seek out collecting albums just to listen to them though, just try and expand so you can more easily know what you do and don't like.

I just think people got upset with you because you were making some pretty big and broad claims about different genres.
>>
>>63257179
i have depression and i tend to avoid most sad music
i can get around daily with low mood but sad stuff just makes me wallow which i fucking hate
>>
>>63260243
You're doing it right. In order to get out of depression it has to actively suck, you can't just let it devour you and wash life over you.

Are you getting help?
>>
>>63257343
Dan was neither of those things when he worked on most of the stuff on Giles Corey and early HANL..
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.