[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I like this album more than Aeroplane. Aeroplane is great,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: On_avery_island_album_cover.jpg (35 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
On_avery_island_album_cover.jpg
35 KB, 299x300
I think I like this album more than Aeroplane. Aeroplane is great, but I think this just feels and sounds better. Songs like Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone and April 8th are my favorite.

Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is retarded, though.
>>
File: rage.jpg (196 KB, 570x432) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
196 KB, 570x432
>>63252261
>Pree Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is retarded
>>
>tfw THE GARDENHEEAAAAD
KNOOOOWWWS MYYYYY NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEE

it's a great album, 9/10 if not for Pree Sisters too imo
>>
>>63252261
i felt similarly.
congratulations, you'll grow out of nmh completely within the year.
>>
i can definitely understand why ITAOTS is more acclaimed, it's pretty hard to match in terms of thematic consistency and general cohesiveness
OAI is a much stronger collection of songs though
however strong ITAOTS might be as a whole, it doesn't have any individual tracks that come close to tracks like Naomi or Where You'll Find Me Now or Gardenhead imo
>>
>>63253440
I meant 10/10 if not for Pree Sisters

>>63253559
>growing out of bands
maybe you don't listen to NMH that much as before but I fail to see you "not being into it anymore", anon
>>
>implying pree sisters is not one of the best nmh track
>>
>>63253559
i'll have listened to their entire discography a billion times by then
>>
>>63253715
This
>>
>>63253715
>implying you actually think that 14 minutes of garbage is actually good
>>
>>63253715
you can like it as much as you want, but thinking it is one of the best turns you into a complete autist
you don't listen to NMH for le experimentalism

desu I'd like Pree Sisters if it wasn't 15 fucking minutes long, but 5. heck, even 8 minutes would be okay.
but 15 minutes? wtf is this supposed to reflect insanity? because I'd rather be an insane than listen to "the sounds of insanity"
so deep dude
>>
>>63253799
It's just a nice drone-ish track man. A lot of elephant six stuff is somewhat experimental
>>
>>63253799
who fucking cares if nmh made it, it's a solid noise/drone track
>>
>>63253891
>>63253900
>listening to untuned, meaning-less noise/drone is better than listening to mangum sing
you guys beat me with this music taste but okay
that way you go
>>
this band fucking sucks and i hate this stupid meme shit you are all little kids and i hate you all
>>
>>63252261

the album without pree sisters is a stronger album than aeroplane, i just like some of the songs off of aeroplane better than some of the songs off of avery island.
>>
File: das.jpg (52 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
das.jpg
52 KB, 540x540
>>63253959
bruh are you serious
>>
>>63253957
I never said it was better, I just said it was good. I think it's a great closer

>>63253959
You've let /mu/ memes infect your mind. It's fine if you don't like it, but you cited memes as a reason why
>>
>>63253970
OP here, yeah, I agree with that to a degree. My favorite song(s) from NMH are Two Headed Boy part one and two, I just think that as a whole, Avery Island feels more complete. ITAOTS is in no way a lackluster album, though.
>>
>>63254026
I should have separated my reply
you didn't say drone was better, but the other guy did
>>
>>63253646
deleted the albums years ago mate. i guess i could get the urge to listen to them in 20 years when i'm on a nostalgia trip or something. but listening to it now would do nothing for me. anyway, didn't mean to shit up the thread. enjoy your music. peace.
>>
Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is the Moonchild of On Avery Island
if you think the album is better without it, you are a certified pleb
>>
>>63253799
>>63252261

Jeff mangum wrote the track as a reflection of death; a long, horrible anguish that slowly fades. Texturally it's one of the best tracks on the album too.
>>
File: 12728951.jpg (58 KB, 466x442) Image search: [Google]
12728951.jpg
58 KB, 466x442
>>63254133
>Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is the Moonchild of On Avery Island
>the shittiest track and the only one that delivers no message or meaning at all
yeah, pretty much
>>
File: 1455722717163.jpg (390 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
1455722717163.jpg
390 KB, 1632x1224
>>63254266
>music has to have a message
>>
>>63254247

i guess the meaning's okay, and the song would be fine, but it is way too fucking long. yes, oh comely is a long song, but it is also an actual song, not just noise.
>>
>>63254247
>Jeff mangum wrote the track as a reflection of death; a long, horrible anguish that slowly fades.
so, basically, 2deep4u
I don't mean to meme/shit up the thread, but all in all you can't "reflect on death" if you haven't died
or maybe I lack the context here in order to understand his 15-minute drones jam
did he watch someone die or something?

>>63254280
music is a form of expression
if the musician expresses nothing his music is shit
>>
File: 1447645639509.png (1 MB, 922x781) Image search: [Google]
1447645639509.png
1 MB, 922x781
>>63254266
>delivers no message or meaning at all
>>
File: 1455212137762.jpg (66 KB, 640x641) Image search: [Google]
1455212137762.jpg
66 KB, 640x641
>>63254324
you think you're cultured or smart for "getting the message" behind this long sound mess that is Pree Sisters?
>constanza
hmm
>>
>>63254315
>a clear cut message is the only form of expression
a track that you think is "meaningless" could stir up raw emotion in someone who actually listens.
>>
>>63254247
[citation needed]
>>
>>63254315
It's important to remember that just like Aeroplane, OAI is also a collection of intertwined stories. The death of the Pree sisters is foreshadowed in Three Peaches with some dark imagery
>You're in the bathroom carving holiday designs into yourself
>Hoping no one will find you, but they found you
>And they took you, and you somehow survived

>There is no dream, so wake up
>And if the holidays don't hollow out your eyes
>Then press yourself against whatever you find to be beautiful and trembling with life
>Because I'm so happy that you didn't die

The conclusion of the album being that one of the sisters lost each other and had to see the process unfold. It might have come from a real life experience but i doubt it.

>>63254292
I didn't enjoy the track when i first listened to it four years. I didn't even enjoy most of the album then but it's definitely a grower so I'm sure you'll come around soon enough.
>>
>>63254374
>>63254266
music doesn't have to have a message you dolt
>>
>>63254431
>OAI is also a collection of intertwined stories
[citation needed]
>The death of the Pree sisters is foreshadowed in Three Peaches with some dark imagery
lol
>>
>>63254381
unfortunately, Pree Sisters does not do that

>a clear cut message is the only form of expression
that's not what I said, and it is not what I think either

>>63254431
I get that, but Pree Sisters seriously is a plain bad execution of the idea of death
maybe a coma would fit better
there's also the possibility that the song is so horrifying I'm not mentally ready to enjoy it

in which case,
>>63254459
enjoy your untuned depressive music
>>
>>63254408
a number of RYM reviews mention it. I can't speak objectively but contextually following April 8th's lyrics, it's safe to say the widow in the track is reflecting on the death of their loved one.
>>
>>63254497
>[citation needed]
You can't make your own inferences? You need someone to tell you what the music is about?
>>
>>63254549
>a number of RYM reviews mention it
No an actual citation
>>63254553
>You can't make your own inferences?
Not how it works.
>You need someone to tell you what the music is about?
No, the artist alreday said what it was about. I was wondering if you and him were aware?
>>
>>63254533
It does do that, but you aren't listening. I'm assuming you don't listen to any sort of drone music, or maybe even music with no lyrics. I'd recommend you do that and then come back to Pree Sisters
>>
>>63254598
i'm pretty interested to read about the meaning, could you provide a source?
>>
>>63254497
Yeah, Song Against Sex sets the theme for that immediately with the mentioning of multiple characters
>And the first one tore a picture

>>63254533
>there's also the possibility that the song is so horrifying I'm not mentally ready to enjoy it
that's an incredibly mature thing to say and i think it's not a bad take on a track you don't enjoy. i wish i could be more like this sometimes.
>>
>>63254598
well yeah, i already said i can't speak objectively but if Jeff wrote about the meaning already then i'd be stoked to read it
>>
>>63254598
>not how it works
Why? Because you decided that's not how it works? Do you just take everything that you ever hear is a song or read in a book at face value?
>>
>>63254600
>I'm assuming you don't listen to any sort of drone music
you are right, although I have listened to The Tired Sounds of Stars of The Lid, three times
I found it dragging and boring, just excuse to put some background music while you reflect on life
it had no meaning by itself

I also have listened to that Sunn O and Ulver album Terrestrials, and Boris' Feedbacker
both twice, and they were much more interesting
and I did enjoy them
>>
>>63254374
hello rato

no spam pls
>>
>>63254631
>Yeah, Song Against Sex sets the theme for that immediately with the mentioning of multiple characters
That have nothing to do with the rest of the album.
>>63254657
>Why? Because you decided that's not how it works?
Aren't we discussing art?
>Do you just take everything that you ever hear is a song or read in a book at face value?
Do you ignore artist intent so you can be a part of a process you otherwise wouldn't be a part of?
>>63254648
>Jeff: It's more like a story than a concept in the sense that concepts can be overly done. I'm not conceptual in the full sense of the word. It's not supposed to be a book where the opening is page one and it works up to the end. There is definitely a story, but at the same time, there's not a rigid structure. Do you understand?
>Jeff: Well, although there's a story, I have no idea what it's about. Any explanation I've come up with is by virtue of just making something up in order to find something.
>Jeff: I write lots of songs that relate to each other and some of them end up being released and others don't so it's an ongoing thing where the same story is continued in many songs . . . I just keep writing until it's finished and they get cut up into different parts. Because people are going to relate to songs and relate them to their lives, it's not just a one-sided, either you get it or you don't, story.
>>
>>63254728
intertwined was a poor word to say on my end. i just meant that it's a collection of stories that weave in and out of each other (Pree Sisters have two tracks named after them and are fairly distant in the track listing too so i feel safe in assuming this.)

>>63254728
interesting. where did he say this, in the album liner notes?
>>
>>63254728
Yes we are discussing art. But the meaning of art is subjective. That's why there are entire fields of study surrounding it. The fact that you think I'm trying to interject on and artists process is grasping at straws. I'm only examining the final result. You're just asking the artist what it's about, rather than thinking and figuring it out for yourself
>>
>>63254801
>interesting. where did he say this, in the album liner notes?
I'm not the same guy, but look up the pitchfork interview (it's pre-ITAOTS)
>>
>>63254801
>i just meant that it's a collection of stories that weave in and out of each other
They don't weave in and out.
>(Pree Sisters have two tracks
The first "Pree Track" is about a friend of Jeff's how had an abortion. There are no sisters. Thus, they are unrelated, only but a Dadaist title that he probably mad up off the top of his head for a 20 minute instrumental drone track.
>interesting. where did he say this, in the album liner notes?
Don't you have the album? Open the booklet and check
>>63254802
>But the meaning of art is subjective
Not if the artist specifically tells you.
>I'm only examining the final result
Are you intentionally missing a giant puzzle piece then?
>You're just asking the artist what it's about, rather than thinking and figuring it out for yourself
Oh wow, it's been working great so far!
>>
>>63255065
Has Jeff specifically told anyone? That's a genuine question. And I haven't even posted my thoughts on the album. I think you have me mixed up with someone else
>>
>>63255110
Jeff: "'Gardenhead' was written right before the sun came up one morning in Athens. I was sort of hallucinating because I hadn't slept in a long time and I was dying to go to sleep but I kept telling myself that I needed to finish this song first. Finally I finished it and collapsed asleep with exhaustion. I woke up next day, sang it again and there it was."
>>
>>63255065
unfortunately i don't have the album but the other anon was nice enough to post the interview where he mentioned it. looks like you were right.
>>
>>63255217
Of course I'm right

>"The song 'You've Passed' was actually written for my grandmother who passed away right after we left Seattle. I happened to call my Mom while were in Washington state and she told me that my grandmother had died, and I didn't even get to go to the funeral. So that song was written for her when I was living in a sort of boiler room connected to a friend's apartment in Denver. The room housed the boiler and all the pipes and stuff and when the maintenance people would come I'd have to run and hide my bedding and pretend I wasn't living there. Actually, I wrote a lot of songs in there. I have nice memories of that little room. All of my songs are life, you know? I have a little dream world in my head and I just sing about it. I don't really understand it either, or understand it in a way that I could express verbally."
>>
>>63255374
very nice. God bless you Jeffy
>>
File: jeffmagnum.jpg (494 KB, 600x496) Image search: [Google]
jeffmagnum.jpg
494 KB, 600x496
>>63254247
I saw it as birth, all the noises are the hospital and people speaking, but you can interpret them so it just sounds like eldritch noise
>>
Why is /mu/ even still talking about this fucking band outside of dead-meme-filled shitposts
>>
File: Burger.jpg (39 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Burger.jpg
39 KB, 630x420
>>63255702
you are the reason /mu/ is so shit
>>
>>63255702
>/mu/
>discussing music
so weird, right?
>>
>>63252261
April 8th without the fade into pree sisters isnt april 8th though.
>>
>>63254133
The difference is moonchild is actually good
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.