[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slint discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
I finally listened to pic related and it was absolutely gorgeous, is there anything like it?

What's your opinions on the album?
Favourite songs?

General discussion
>>
Ever since I first heard Spiderland about ten years ago it's been one of my favorite albums. I absolutely adore it. Tweez and the EP are very good too, albeit different.

>Favourite songs?
Washer

Rusty by the band Rodan is kind of similar I guess. That's definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
>>
>>63247325
Yeah I'll check it out now, I've listened to this album 3 times this morning and it just gets better with every listen

>favourite song
Don, Aman

The stories are beautiful
>>
>>63247249

It's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Good Morning, Captain, Washer, and Breadcrumb Trail are favorites.

The closest you'll get to something extremely similar is A Minor Forest's Flemish Altruism. But even that's a WHOLLY different beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-z5IDPGDg

The projects of fellow Louiseville residents Jeff Mueller and Jason Noble fall in the same vein as Slint but going in different directions as well, including Rusty by the band Rodan, All of June of 44's albums except Anahata, and Shipping News' first album, save everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPnuAxOyP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NKtGTstVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2CmkdTIgE
>>
>>63247596

I'd like to note Shipping News' second album, Very Soon And In Pleasant Company, is a far more wholesome project than save everything, but far and away from Slint-core. It's a very, very slow album, but much more cohesive and wholesome than save everything.
>>
>it's a don steps outside episode
>>
File: 01wi8y.jpg (114 KB, 434x640) Image search: [Google]
01wi8y.jpg
114 KB, 434x640
Why does /mu/ never talk about how good this is?
>>
File: Math Rock.png (3 MB, 2000x1495) Image search: [Google]
Math Rock.png
3 MB, 2000x1495
>>63247641

Forgot this, but I'd go through the recs in this thread first. This chart doesn't even mention Shipping News, June of 44, or Rusty.
>>
I feel you mate. I was just about to post something about this album.
>>
File: radiohead-pablo-honey.jpg (101 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
radiohead-pablo-honey.jpg
101 KB, 500x500
I am daring enough to say: This album isn`t shit.
>>
There is nothing like this album. I spent many years trying to find similar things. You are wasting your time.
>>
>>63247677
They're all fairly obvious if you like Slint.
>>
>>63247641
I'm surprised not to see more about Shipping News around here, there one of my favourite bands from that whole Louisville scene. Actual Blood and How to Draw Horses are both full of feels.
>>
Spiderland is undoubtedly the greatest album of all time.

Best song? Breadcrumb Trail

What the fuck is that weird sparkly sound from the guitars during the buildup of Don Aman? After all these years I still can't figure it out
>>
>liking flint
mama mia
>>
>>63247676
Is it worth watching?
>>
>>63247988
yeah. It will change you image you have about them. If you think they are emo, wrist cuting, lonely people? you're in for a surprise
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 95x132) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 95x132
>>63247953
>flint
>>
Heard it for the first time, like 8-9 years ago. Has been one of my favorite album since.
Have never found anything like Spinderland since.

Favorite songs: Don, Aman and Breadcrumb Trail.

Why they have no made another album is beyond me.
>>
>>63247249
One of the few albums I would consider a genuine 10/10. Quite honestly every song has been a favourite at some stage.
>>
>>63247930
The asian guy or whatever he is tried to kill himself, I remember.

Saw his suicide note on his website, because someone posted it here when he wrote it.

His wife fucked him over and took his money and children, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>63247249
I will never understands /mu/s obsession with this and Soundtracks for the Blind
>>
>>63248107
They got pissed off at each other or something, who knows
>>
>>63247988
It's very interesting.
>>
>>63248134
There is nothing to understand. It's just music. Stop finding meaning in everything.
>>
File: quartercentury.jpg (28 KB, 265x292) Image search: [Google]
quartercentury.jpg
28 KB, 265x292
Its the albums 25th birthday in a couple of weeks. How's everyone gonna celebrate?

>tfw this album is a few months older than I am.
>>
>>63247677
>no toe
OK kid
>>
>>63248134
they're just some really, really good albums
>>
>>63248152
>>63248170
They are both fairly average in their respective genres.
>>
Check out Low maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSVkb_XLt4
>>
>>63248138
the one guy in the band, cant remember who. but he sounded like a complete autist.

baked erotic cakes and shit, wanted to suddenly become a dish washer. cant remember it if was bullshit or not.

been a while since i saw the documentary
>>
>>63248156
Been thinking of ordering a vinyl Spiderland and their other releases on vinyl for a while.

Guess I have to do it now!
>>
>>63248173
Provide some non average albums in these "respective genres" please.
>>63248188
I think that's Brian. Yeah, from what I remember from the documentary he just sort of wanted to stop.
>>
>>63248156
I am 22 days older. March 5th here. Fucking birthday sucked though kinda hoped for a quarter century something dope would go on but my grandfather is in hospice dying slowly, my ex is talking to another dude now, I am fighting addiction, and no one called on my bday.

This month sucks donkey dick.
>>
>>63248156
>mfw i'm older than this album by 9 days

>>63248199
If you can still get the box set they released a while back do it, the photobook is pretty rad and the extra demos are good
>>
>>63248225
Just go listen to Spiderland bro. Take the fortune teller's hand and fly away.
>>
>>63247930
It's a guitar pick slanted on the side so it kind of scrapes the strings.
>>
>>63248173
spiderland combines 3 genres, the album can't really be judged against math rock albums, or post rock albums, or post hardcore albums. Very few albums have combined those three well, spiderland mastered it on the first try
>>
>>63248227
I found it a while ago, but the price doubled when I placed an order to Europe. Cant afford that right now.

Maybe Ill find the photobook online at least, there are so many cool slint pictures.
>>
>>63248264
for me spiderland it's just post-rock. just because there isn't absolutely nothing like it before it's release.
Yes you can identify some of their influences, but there is nothing like it.
>>
>>63248251
I can't get the same sound out of it, it sounds somewhat similar but it isn't quite right.
And isn't that song fingerpicked?
>>
>>63248173
Name us some above average albums "in their respective genres" then.
>>
>>63247988
just found it online going to watch it,
>>
>>63247249
Can someone please explain the impact that this album actually left on music, I get the feeling that it is a far more influential album than many publications give it credit for.
>>
>>63249020
>I get the feeling that it is a far more influential album than many publications give it credit for.
Are you serious?
>>
>>63247249
This is one of those albums I've always put off listening to thinking I wouldn't like it for whatever reason. I've never really listened to any Post-Hardcore. What should I expect?
>>
>>63247249
Try Codeine. Despite what most /mu/tants would like to believe, Slint never were Post-Rock, but rather slowcore. So first wave slowcore bands should be your answer.
>>
>>63249562
>slint were slowcore
Well aren't you the stupid one
Like, Breadcrumb Trail and Nosferatu Man are totally slowcore
>>
>>63249562
the song structure has all the formula for post rock. theyre not normal indie rock songs played slowly.
>>
>>63249708
>formula for post-rock
You realize that there is no formula right?
That's why all the first and second wavers all sound so different
>>
>>63249041
I don't think you've actually never listened to any post-hardcore. Anyway, Spiderland just has post-hardcore roots, but they fuse it with what can be called post-rock and definitely math rock at the time of its release. It's just a really special record.
>>
>>63248225
Happy birthday anon
>>
>>63249729
Post rock and math rock both have one characteristic that other rock genres dont have
Hint: time signatures
>>
>>63249708
>the song structure has all the formula for post rock. theyre not normal indie rock songs played slowly.

I do not try to start a flame or anything, but that's major BS. Prior the comments of GYBE and Mogwai nobody (as NOBODY) consider Slinter post-rock prior those comments about having spiderland be one of their influences. All those "formulas" you're thinking of, started about a year prior, by Codeine. Yet still, nobody consider Codeine to be post-rock for a solid reason. They're not post-rock and they "founded" slowcore.
Furthermore, Bark Psychosis and Talking Heads predate Slint for several years, for being the forerunners of post-rock.
>>
>>63247249
This was one of the cases of an album/band I'd heard talked about a lot and had a feeling would be my kind of thing. That said, I didn't really know what to expect on first listen (sometimes better to surprise yourself).
Needless to say I was blown away.

>Favourite songs?
Washer or Breadcrumb trail
>>
>>63250228
>all post-rock has weird time signatures
What in the fuck? So Talk Talk and Sigur Ros play math now?
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 172x83) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 172x83
>>63250292
>slinter
>talking heads
>>
>>63250292
>Talking Heads
You meant Talk Talk, right?
>>
>>63247988
Yes
>>
>>63247249
It's one of my all-time favourite albums, but I can only listen to it when I'm alone in my bed, because it's really depressing for me.

Favourite Song: Washer
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.