[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think things would have been different were this released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: smile.jpg (176 KB, 719x713) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
176 KB, 719x713
How do you think things would have been different were this released in 1967 like it was supposed to be? Do you think it would have affected the Beatles mindset going into their next album? Would the entire album have been as successful as Good Vibrations as a single, or would it prove to be another album ahead of it's time like Pet Sounds was? Supposedly the initial response to Heroes and Villains as a single was lukewarm, although someone not enjoying that masterwork is still a mystery to me.
>>
it'd chart at like 30 something

the beach boys were drifting towards irrelevancy in the mainstream by this point anyway. the new thing was psychedelic rock/liberal hippies from SF and the beach boys were seen as conservative 50s surf squares from the bygone era

It'd be influential and critically acclaimed but wouldn't sell that much.
>>
>>63244321
>50s surf squares
you may not be wrong, but they were formed in '61
>>
>>63244321
were they not viewed as more experimental after Pet Sounds? I mean Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and Friends all had a pretty lo-fi psych vibe to them.
>>
>>63244282
there would be an argument similar to OKC vs KID A between the US and UK of Smile vs SGT Peppers
>>
>>63245237
we all know it's SMiLE, though. despite being 40 years too late.
>>
>>63244282
vega-tables would be a gigantic meme by now
>>
I think if Smile had been released when it was supposed to be, and i people hadn't judged The Beach Boys so harshly because of their earlier style of music, this album would've given Sgt Pepper a good run for it's money, and would be praised in the same breathe.
>>
>>63246583
Implying it isn't one now
>>
>>63245994
disagree, respectfully
>>
>>63244282
If it all went to plan and he made it to its full potential it probably would have been the best album of all time. The beach boys would have started to really rival the Beatles, it should have been the start of a good period
>>
>>63248508
It's not even at its full potential and is already the best album of all time.
>>
this album is a legitimate 10/10 for me, why doesn't it get charted on here more?
>>
>>63248686
>>63248508
>>63249266
These. I've been listening to this album non-stop for about three weeks now. It still takes me breath away.

Like, I can't get into Sgt.Pepper's but The Smile Sessions are absolutely mental, I realise it isn't a finished product but it works so well, end to end, that it's hard to imagine anything better coming from those sessions at this point.
>>
what's more important is the question of how a successful 1967 smile release would've altered the course of brian wilson's life. he basically caved into himself after that and nothing was ever the same. i think he'd have gone on to much greater things than smile, greater than what actually came after it for sure.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.