[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
teach me how to make sounds /mu/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1_main.jpg (114 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
1_main.jpg
114 KB, 800x567
Hey /mu/, i have some spare time for the next weeks and i would like to learn a new skill i want to make a hobby. i really love watching tutorials making music, but if i start something, i come fast to the point where it just gets frustrating. i don´t want to replicate that sounds given, i want to create them myself. can you teach me /mu/?
my equipment just consists of the mikro maschine, so i have acces to a lot of emotionless sounds, massive and all the free vst synth´s available
>>
easiest way is watching someone on yt design a synth and then try it yourself so you can familiarize yourself with what everything does
>>
>>63231042
what channel would you recommend?
>>
>>63230997
I get really frustrated too, I have hundreds of songs I'll never finish
>>
>>63230997

whelp, sound design is the bane of a beginning producer.
since you have a lot of choice in vst's i'd suggest picking one, and learning that.

massive is quite expansive, and often does not do what you'd expect. i have a lot of trouble with the filters in massive.
Serum has more visual on the waveform you're using, so that helps... maybe try that out.

just fuck around with some vst's. you'll be making tens or hundreds of little projects and you'll be learning a lot on the go.

tutorials are fine, but i think you just forget what they say way too fast. you're making music. you're not reproducing stuff.
and i think tutorials are often oddly specific on things you don't necessarily need.
that said, i found a vid on the grain delay, and it can create some really cool stuff...

uhm... i'm being vague.
>>
>>63231816
me

so i often just start playing a chord or two and listen to what kind of sound i want.
maybe i want something elektro and stabby, maybe i want a big pad.
so i work towards something. then i select the octaves and semi's for the three oscilators and i'm still using the original wavetable at this point. on the go i'll tweak the intensity a little cause damn, it can get pretty harsh.

next up is randomly selecting wavetables and messing with position and intensity till i find a texture that i like.
playing chords i will also adjust the fine pitch for width of sound.

now i enjoy evolving sounds so often there's an LFO stuck on the amp in the wavetables and i mix these up so the three oscillators work in conjunction and give eachother space. often in the effects i will give the cuttof some lfo or envelope as well.

basically mess around with the envelopes and lfo's till i'm satisfied with whatever basic synth i got. then off to writing melodies or chords and then mashing effects over it.

if you didn't get any of that i suggest learning what all that means before trying out making stuff yourself.
however, reading your post, i think you have done some research already.

tl;dr just fuck about with the wibbles and wobbles and polish the knobs.
>>
>>63231446
busy works beats
>>
>>63232068
thanks for the read. so there is no real instruction or basic knowledge how to learn this? well i didn´t hoped for that answer.

what´s if i try it with the goal to create a specific sound, like a bell. how do i know i take the right soundwave and frequencie? could i create a bell out of a sawwave?
>>
>>63230997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4
>>
>>63232753

you can do whatever the fuck u wanna do, consequently there's a billion ways to do everything, EXCEPT that particular thing that everyone does in [whichever] genre. that's real fucking specific

start from finished product first and reverse engineer.

any tutorials are going to be genre-specific.

the "basic knowledge" like subtractive synthesis, is good to know, but don't dwell on it (unless you get real real into it, then do what you want).

a perfectly valid thing to do is to go through presets, and then tweak them until they're doing something you like better, and then saving them as your own sound. you don't need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of sound to make sound.
>>
>>63232753

here we go, you like physics? i teach that stuff.
a bell you say.

what makes a bell a bell? well first off it has a short peak in amplitude which slowly dies off as the bell resonates.
also it has a lot of higher harmonics in the sound.
(crash course harmonics: specific frequencies can only ring if the length of the vibrating object can fit a whole wavelength perfectly. of course octaves can fit twice, then another frequency fits three times exactly, those higher frequencies/ shorter wavelengths are higher harmonics)

so a bell often has a few higher harmonics bt how do we make those? well that pretty much depends on the wavetable you use.
if you use Ableton, you should look into using operator. i'd be willing to do a little video crash course on that if you want. cause writing it out is a pain and harder to visualize.
>>
>>63232936

also, this.
>>
I'm always hesitant about youtube tutorials. They're normally made by struggle soundcloud EDM/hip hop producers who are themselves boring and lacking in vision
>>
>>63234292
hesitant is the correct term i guess.
however basics should be the same across the board. knowing your way around a vst or DAW is a necessity if you wanna make any sound.
these video's don't tell you how to make your music. they don't tell you what lead to use with that pad, cause if they do, they're morons.
music is a creative flow that you have to find and grasp for yourself.
some might think a lowpass cutoff lfo is instant dubstep wobblebass and won't do it any other way, others view it as just the sound evolving and might lfo the lfo, or that twice over.

it's learning the basics and then applying that knowledge in creative and new ways that signature your sound.

luckily an endeavor of a lifetime and an awesome hobby.
>>
>>63234457
yeah man you've hit it pretty well there. I've got the basics at the moment and I'm gonna really delve into production when I got some free time in the summer.
>>
>>63234520

production can be a real blast, but takes up a lot of time. i had a week off last week, and all my time went into it because i just had a good flow.
when stuff doesn't turn out how you like it, it gets a little frustrating.
>>
>>63230997
Also, dude. i. want. a. maschine.
those things make me diamonds
>>
>>63234594
yeah I've experienced the excitement of creation and the frustration of getting nowhere, and I can barely produce.
>>
>>63230997
learn to play an instrument like a normal person
>>
File: c70.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
c70.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>63234902
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.