[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /mu/sicians I come again with a question regarding what scale
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: headhunters.jpg (274 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
headhunters.jpg
274 KB, 1000x1000
Hi /mu/sicians

I come again with a question regarding what scale to use. I'm trying to figure out which scale to use for improvising on Green Dolphin Street. This is what I have:
A section:
First two bars - C major scale
Next two bars : C minor scale
That's when it gets complicated, can I just play D major and Db major over the chords respectively? And how can I link them in a nice way.

B- section:
I see it as two times 2-5-1, first in C major and then in Eb. So I play these major scales.

Thanks for helping out guys
>>
The one that sounds good
>>
>>63227022
Just take it outside nigga
>>
Chromatic scale all day, every day
>>
>>63227022
How about you just follow the chords and use passing tones. Playing scales all the time is goofy.
>>
>>63227022
my jazz coach would be able to tell you exactly what you're looking for, unfortunately for you and me, I don't have as much knowledge as to what to play over certain changes, how to connect them, etc. what I will tell you is, sit at the piano, play the chord and play that d major and db major scale over them and listen to how it sounds. play diminished scales over them too, play every scale you can think of over that one c major/minor and get a sense of what colors work where and how you can piece them together. obviously you do this at a piano.
>>
>>63228133
also don't just play the scales up and down, use variations going up and down within the scale of course like
CDECDEFDEFGEFGAFGAB etc etc
>>
Allright thanks, I guess I'm going to take my time and figure out what sounds good. I'm just trying to find some kind of base from which I can start. I'm gonna try and incorporate elements of the melody in the improvisation aswell.
>>
One more thing, if I want to play some modal scales.. As the song is in the key of C, do I play different (modal) scales in C for the whole tune?
>>
>>63228250
Well, yes that is one approach. In the 2-5-1 chord progression you could use the different modes derived from the C Ionian, so with this Progression ; Dm7-G7-Cmaj(7), you could use three different modes (D Dorian, G mixolydian, and C ionian, all basically in the key of C) to improvise.
>>
That's not exactly what I meant.
Could I use modes of C in the whole tune. So for the A section,
C -> C Ionian
Cm -> C Dorian
D7 -> C Lydian maybe
Db -> C Phrygian
And back to C.

Does this make any sense?
>>
>>63228595
As long as the modes contain the chord tones you should be fine, though I would use C Locrian over the Db chord, as C phrygian is missing the fifth degree of Db
>>
>>63228978

Allright thanks!
>>
>>63228978

I'm just thinking out loud now.. Would it also be possible to play the tune in certain modes to create a certain vibe. For example only using Dorian and Aeolian for each chord.
>>
>>63227022
>That's when it gets complicated, can I just play D major and Db major over the chords respectively? And how can I link them in a nice way.

I don't the chords and the style of the ?standard but it's feasible just introduce a chromatism to go from D to Db

B section looks totally okay

Also this >>63228978

>>63229256
If i remember my theory correctly yeah
>>
>>63229288

Cool, I'm trying to find scales I can use over multiple chords but have some sort of edge to them. I'm looking into some kind of "scale universe" maybe
>>
>>63228113
I agree more with this approach. Scales might be an interesting way to open up more ideas but your foundation should always be in playing around the chords themselves and then feeling out suspensions and dissonances you like the sound of
>>
>>63227022
Think in terms of intervals, not scales IMO
That, combined with the fact that you're never going to be more than a full step chord tone, means you can really
Improv without getting stuck on licks or scales
>>
>>63229691
*Full step from a chord tone
I mean, your theory and everything seems tight, but I'm just giving advice
>>
>>63229727

Thanks guys!
>>
>>63227022
first two chords you got right.

i would go

>D/C - C lydian

>Db/C - C dim with a semitone first

B section you got right
>>
Hey guys what song is this?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ix7exwOt2i
>>
>>63230930

This sounds great!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.