[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
Kawaii anime girls edition

>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
>http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>http://youtu.be/umY5NBKg5AA?list=PLcm7Ag6Q-OkZAmlY6dAhS2ZL9TUMeRZdI

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods+Cab+1.3.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM+RECTO+V30+L2.wav

Free VST downloads (amps and effects simulators):
>http://www.vst4free.com/

ASIO drivers (essential to use VSTs while playing):
>http://www.asio4all.com/

JACK Tutorial for Linux audio production
>http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/demystifying-jack-%E2%80%93-beginners-guide-getting-started-jack

>Advancing Guitarist Mick Goodrick
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Last thread: >>63206131
>>
i wish i had a telecaster but they cost more than my rent
>>
>>63224533
Just save up real hard for one, you'll get there eventually
>>
Sauce?
>>
File: Guitar Collage.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Guitar Collage.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
xth for awake and dead inside

should I pull the trigger on a 50W Orange bass combo?
>>
>>63224699
How many glued together pieces of wood are in that P-Bass body?
>>
File: _DSC0042.jpg (1 MB, 2151x3226) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0042.jpg
1 MB, 2151x3226
>>63224755
>>
>>63224533
Get a classic vibe
>>
>>63224699
Hey NZbro, what particular orange amp do you have in mind?
>>
File: deluxe-memory-man.png (1005 KB, 751x640) Image search: [Google]
deluxe-memory-man.png
1005 KB, 751x640
Need some pedal advice.

I'm thinking about getting a delay and a pitch shifter to go with my fuzz factory and bass guitar. Is there anything better than a Deluxe Memory Man for delays around $200? what about the Electro Harmonix POG2 for a pitch shifter ($230)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFxaIAP5mjA
what sort of sounds do you think i could get with a wah and this set up? i want to make loud noise rock.
>>
>>63225608
Line 6 DL4 and an EHX Pitchfork is what I would get, way cheaper if you buy used.
>>
>>63225608
> delays around $200
I'd aso consider the TC flashback and the MXR carbon copy. There are a lot of high quality delays in that price range.

I don't know shit about pitch shifters, sorry.
>>
>>63224533
My advice is to eat nothing but gruel and to collect the savings made and put it towards the guitar. If prisoners of war can do, you can do it!
>>
>tfw want to change my Jazzmaster's color to Pelham blue with black pickguard
>>
>>63225914
What's stopping you? Refinishing is easy as fuck if you don't strip the guitar down to the bare wood.
>>
File: no cure for GAS.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
no cure for GAS.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>63224533
Does your local music store do lay-by/lay-away?

Great way to get expensive gear if you find something you really like and don't have all the cash.
>>
Well I finally got one. That was much harder than it should have been
>>
>>63226410
Yeah it's hard to get over the fact you're a faggot and finally give in to your inner gay
>>
i cant get good
>>
>>63226457
You don't like jaguars?
>>
File: DSC07710.jpg (257 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
DSC07710.jpg
257 KB, 450x800
>>63224533

Go local customs builder. They're not exactly hard to make.

>One Piece Swamp Ash
>SD 52' Broadcaster
>Stainless Steel Frets
>Edlred Wired
>$850.

Bob Logan made this one, but there are a billion tele builders.
>>
File: 1448980655499.jpg (10 KB, 241x249) Image search: [Google]
1448980655499.jpg
10 KB, 241x249
Asking Anons who practices here.

Why is chromatic 1234 exercises shoved down in everyone throat? I can't stand that fucking sound, why waste on pointless picking, or fretting hand coordination exercise ( which really doesn't benefit) when you can practice scale, scale fingerings with same precision and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, you practice coordination, and picking

Even Vai in his 10 hour work out has segment for chromatic nonsense and even Guthrie.

Can someone shred some light on it?
>>
>>63226617
Is that one swamp ash? Looks nice homie.
>>
>>63227324
It's far easier to focus on coordination on something as basic as 1234 as opposed to a scale where you have to know your notes.
They're exercises anyways, they're not made to sound good.
>>
If any of you guys play keyboard and guitar, how do you manage going between both?

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years. Whenever I hop on a keyboard or piano I feel stuck, like my creativity is robbed. Then when I go back to guitar I feel worse for not being able to strike it out a bit.
>>
>>63227724
Learning theory gives a better understanding of piano, since the white keys are just a C major scale.
You're also taking the role of both lead and rythm, if you're playing alone, which sort of makes it harder.

I've played guitar for two years and never played anything else but keyboards aren't really harder imo. Save for Seaboards, I tried one in a shop and it's really weird.
The instrument I'm the worst at is probably either drums or brass/winds, since I've got no endurence.
>>
>>63227724
>how do you manage going between both?
pretty easily, I have no clue what I'm doing on either one
>>
>>63226410
I'm jealous as fuck did you find it online or in stores?

I've been looking for a lefty jaguar/jazzmaster for so long but the only ones I've seen have either been way overpriced or the Kurt Cobain jags
>>
Anyone uses EVO fretwire on their guitars? I got them on my guitar and I have to say they are pretty good.
>>
File: 20160305_215116.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160305_215116.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
R8 my shitty tender Surrender cover.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RnvOkc06SC
>>
>>63228861
if thats doubled sided tape then i feel sorry for you bro
>>
>>63228948

It's what happen when it's too late to grab painter tape, but you still want to polish your frets.
>>
>>63229009
b-but the gunk, anon
>>
Has anyone played any Puresalem guitars? I heard the owners shitty but the guitars are alright
>>
>>63228861
i used to do the tape-the-whole-fretboard thing when i used to use steel wool to polish my frets

just get a thin box and cut it, then cut a little hole in it so the fret fits in between it. it saves a lot of time, plus not possibility of sticky tape residue

the only thing you'll need to tape off is the pickups
>>
>>63224517
i have tiny fingers and want to play typical indie rock like pic related.

what squier should i get? telecaster, stratocaster or jaguar ?
>>
>>63229043

Lemon oil got rid of that pretty quick.
>>
File: 4L_wnmuxq35.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_wnmuxq35.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>63224533
A CV Squier is just as good as a MIM.

Also,
>tfw you forget you've bought something and it turns up in the post
>>
>>63228861
I like it mate, sounds good and I didn't notice any major mistakes but I'm not a huge Vai fan.
>2016
>Vocaroo
Use clyp.it for better quality :^)
>>
>>63227324
This >>63227397 is pretty accurate. I don't know that it's necessarily "shoved down anyone's throat" so much as it is universally recognized as a great exercise in dexterity and right-left coordination. I would also add that as a 4-note-per-string pattern it is useful for getting all four fingers on the fretting hand working, since most people don't play scales in 4-notes-per-string patterns. It's also a way to move through the fretboard that is intuitive for most guitars players since we tend to view the notes on the neck as going low-to-high and construct scales, riffs, solos accordingly.

If do want a great exercise in finger dexterity and pick hand coordination that uses actual scales, play a major scale that skips intervals throughout. For example, play C major while skipping every second interval, or ascending in thirds, through two octaves and you'll get this: C-E-G-B-D-F-A, which has a really different melodic feel (and gets even weirder when you start ascending by sixths and sevenths) to the standard 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 shape and also requires a bit of thought with regards to finger placement and picking the first couple times through.
>>
>>63229156
use lighter fluid or naphtha to clean the gunk off, then use lemon oil after to rehydrate it

works better, lemon oil won't get all the gunk off
>>
File: 20160312_011325.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160312_011325.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>63229233

The double sided tape was weak as fuck to begin with, so it actually didn't leave much gunk behind. But it did tear off the paint on the pickup cover. Now it looks rad as fuck.

>>63229182

Thanks senpai. I will use clyp.it next time.
>>
>>63228861
P good, dude, you've got it down to the point where all you really need to do is clean up a few small errors here and there. It would have been nice to hear an actual clean tone at the beginning instead of a turned-down overdriven guitar but otherwise great job. Funny that you posted this because yesterday I was watching a Guthrie Govan video where he breaks this solo down.

Vai is god.
>>
>>63225608
At that price range, I'd go with an independent builder. Maybe EQD or something. Also buy used. You can get a memory man with hazarai for like 120 which i believe has a tap tempo. Also POGs are great, but like i said, check out used stuff and indie stuff.
>>
>>63229311
Thanks man. Yeah I just set my volume knob on 3 for this one, on the record Vai manages to get this super smooth transition between his drive and clean tones. Wonder how he does it.
>>
Just ordered this guy the other day, waiting for it to come in. What should I expect?
>>
>>63229371
expect to receive a guitar

>>63229367
coil splitting or just his middle single coil I guess
>>
>>63229407
Nigga i meant in terms of quality, have you owned or played one before?
>>
>>63229367
Probably a few different amps on stage, the one he uses on "Surrender" is probably a dedicated clean amp.

Who can say, really? Vai is so RIDICULOUSLY is touch with the guitar it's heartbreaking. I don't think it's something anyone fully appreciates until they've been playing for quite some time because Vai isn't the world's FASTEST NPS SHREDDER EVER but he probably knows more applied theory than the best of them.
>>
>>63229407

It actually kinda sounds like position 2 on a typical HSH I think. Very quacky.

>>63229466

Yeah man, I know many people dismiss him as a shredder who plays with no soul and stuff, but he does write interesting lines to me.
>>
>>63229131
on electric guitars - bodies, shape, materials or anything like that don't matter at all.
an electric guitar's sound comes only from the amps and pickups. NO ONE can hear a sound from a guitar and immediately jump up and say, "hey, that's the sound of a Les Paul Standard 2016!"
buy a guitar that feels comfortable and then get a decent amp. wattage doesn't matter much, neither does solid state amps VS tubes.
>>
>>63229673
>wattage doesn't matter much, neither does solid state amps VS tubes

You were doing so well
>>
>>63229131

Listen to this guy
>>63229673

but ignore everything he said about amps.
>>
>>63229131
I would just pick a guitar player you like and get roughly what they have or whatever you like aesthetically the most. This is assuming you don't already play guitar, then you just get what you like. Go to guitar center and try a bunch of squiers and choose what feels the most comfortable and looks the coolest to you. The more you like how a guitar looks, the more you'll play it, the better you'll get. It seems silly to place importance on that but it really does make a difference.
>>
>>63229819
The difference wattage makes is logarithmic, meaning the difference in volume between 30 watt and 50 watt is bigger than the difference between 200 and 220.
The main difference would be headroom, but then again headroom past a certain point may be useless since bigger venues will have their own PA system.
Wattage does matter, but only until a certain point, and then again, volume may also depend on how the amp is built, I've heard about how some of the higher wattage Behringers aren't so loud.

I'm not even going to bother arguing about the SS vs Tubes. Just look at the Jazz Chorus or the old SS Sunn
>>
>>63229162

>CV squirt just as good as a MIM

I wish this meme would end. CVs are solid guitars and very competitive in the 300$ish price bracket. They aren't as good as MIMs as far as fretwork consistency, hardware/electronics quality, overall fit and finish, and don't hold resale like MIMs will. Also, if you don't like laquer on your necks, they feel like toys. Part of me is a bit suspicious of the finishing quality of their necks just because of how much fucking laquer they pour on those things; it's ridiculous.
>>
>>63229930
But SS vs Tube does make a difference because even though both of those are great amps, they sound like a solid state amp. People like Sunn solid states because the way they break up doesn't sound like a tube amp and they have their own unique quality to them.
>>
>practice alone
Improvise and change between keys flawlessly, keep rhythm going, even slide all the way up to the neck without losing the groove.
>playing with a drummer
Play entirely out of key, out of rhythm so I stick to playing root notes and focusing on staying on it so much I can't notice when the chord changes.

I've been just playing for a month but I'm practicing so fucking much and still can't keep a song going if its just me and a drummer. The blisters are also making my index weaker so I sound double as shitty, how do I become good at bass?
>>
>>63229819
no one can tell the difference between tube amps and SS. listen to any album and try to pick out which amp they are using. you can't.
you only ever hear people talk about how awesome tube amps are when they already know that the current song has a tube amp in it.
>>
>>63230156

Experience.

You've only been playing for a month? Well no wonder stuff is going wrong. You will make mistakes when learning a new skill.

To get better when playing with a drummer you just need to do it more till it isn't as scary/intimidating. Even if you say you're not scared, you are. You don't want him judging you for being bad. It'll come with time.
>>
File: PB 2016 Progress.jpg (2 MB, 2252x911) Image search: [Google]
PB 2016 Progress.jpg
2 MB, 2252x911
>>63225608
>delays around $200
Catalinbread are honestly full of shitty smug people, despite their founder having just passed away and for that I send my condolences.

That being said, the Catalinbread Belle Epoch is a pretty great delay and I'd recommend that. I used to have one.
>>
File: 017.jpg (139 KB, 521x608) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
139 KB, 521x608
my local music shop sells the Miku pedal, guys.
... should i?
>>
>>63230068
Not that anon, but what do you make of MIM's vs Americans then? Are Americans better for the extra 500 euros or is that "It's the same guitar, made by Mexicans on different countries." meme true?
>>
File: $_35.jpg (7 KB, 300x109) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
7 KB, 300x109
About to pull a trigger on an Epiphone Riviera P93 Custom. Too broke to afford a Gibson. Would this be a quality purchase?
>>
>>63230593
How much
>>
>>63230593
How much are they? They sound useless but fun as hell nonetheless
>>
>>63230593
yes, regardless of price
>>
>>63230670
>>63230652
it wasn't much more expensive than the other pedals. i'm in Norway, though. so it's hard to state an equivalent price for you americlaps.
>>
File: 20160203_224452.jpg (534 KB, 700x1198) Image search: [Google]
20160203_224452.jpg
534 KB, 700x1198
Had our bassist's guitar tech do a full service on my new SG to combat the massive tuning issues I was having. Turns out, not very surprisingly, that all of the tuning issues were originating at the nut. It came from the factory quite poorly cut, even .09 gauge strings were catching. Had it re-filed for .11s, lubed up (saddles included), action reset, intonated, and checked up on the electronics for peace of mind. Tuning is rock solid now even with frequent trem use. I'm very glad it didn't come down to swapping out the Lyre trem because it's absolutely gorgeous. Huge relief, plays as great as it looks now.
>>
>>63230593
absolutely

>>63230645
do iy
>>
>>63229332
How do i go about finding some good independent manufacturers? Im kind of new.
>>
>>63230645
Beautiful looking guitar, hopefully it plays and sounds as good. I love gold hardware on dark finishes.
>>
>>63230754
Catalinbread was already mentioned, they're great. Earthquaker is another very popular one. I'll list a few more but not sure what they all have in terms of delays: Dwarfcraft, Abominable, fuzzrocious, lone wolf.
>>
>>63230827
oh, and the mr. black delay might be good. I have their Supermoon reverb and it's not bad
>>
>>63230755
>>63230745
Thank you kindly anons
>>
>>63226410
Offsets look mental left handed.

>>63230740
NICE BLOG
>>
>>63230720
The problem with that pedal is that it doesn't track very well. I wonder if it would work better with a bass
>>
File: 1454614403556.jpg (33 KB, 559x405) Image search: [Google]
1454614403556.jpg
33 KB, 559x405
>>63224517
Source on the OP image?
>>
>>63231013
Boku no Jazzmaster
>>
>>63229673
>it's only amps and pickups

W R O N G A S F U C K

also holy shit you know nothing about amplifiers. were you that guy that said the 5150 sounds like the SLO 100 because they have the same tone stack in another /mu/ thread? My god
>>
>>63230621

eh, Id personally go to a shop and AB them. the american models have nicer quality hardware(waaay better trem systems on the american stuff if that matters to you) and higher output Pickups, as well as rolled fret edges (some people love this, some dont really notice). You get more options as far as finishes and PU configurations go in the american range as well. The actual build quality is pretty similar though.

I personally decided to buy a MIM strat due to the fact that the hardware upgrades werent worth the extra money for me. If youre gigging, it might be worth it to drop the extra dosh though.
>>
>>63231088
Makes sense. Thanks a lot.
>>
File: tabs.png (6 KB, 353x369) Image search: [Google]
tabs.png
6 KB, 353x369
how am i supposed to read this?
the song is is bury me in smoke if anyone is wondering
>>
Hey, /gg/, what are your practice routines? I just seem to be running up and down chromatically and practicing various ways to alt-pick, and it seems I'm going nowhere. I'm not sure if my bend-game is up to snuff, seems alright, I have average legato... I just don't know what to actually practice. I know I need to challenge myself, so I up the tempo on the metronome or practice more difficult patterns to alt pick, but what else should I do? I also try to train my ear couple days of the week, learn a riff or two from a song I like.

Any other practice ideas?

I also like learning hyper-technical songs from tab, since they're way too quick from my ear, but are fun for the fingers.
>>
>>63231478
seems like the guy has tried to write the pentatonic scale with numbers instead of note names, which is retarded as fuck.
>>
File: 1457203882017.jpg (43 KB, 495x480) Image search: [Google]
1457203882017.jpg
43 KB, 495x480
>>63231033
No really what is it, it looks interesting
>>
>>63230740

>lubed up

Hurm.

>>63231478

This is a representation of your fretboard, not a traditional tab. Start at 1 and work your way along till you get to 1 again.
>>
>>63230163
Of course, its fucking hard to notice those things with another instruments playing together.
>>
>>63231478
This is position one and two of the pentatonic shapes. The numbers go 1-5 and repeat again because there are only 5 notes on a pentatonic scale.

If that's B Minor pentatonic, each 1 you see is a B, 2 is D, 3 is E, 4 is F# and 5 is A.

Go google it. It's as basic as it gets.
>>
File: IMG_20160311_204135959.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160311_204135959.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>63224517
Second day of owning a fretless, I did a thing in D-minor, if someone could check it out that would be great: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0REd98FEBDj
Intonation is probably complete shit, so my question is how do I actually set intonation on the bridge if I'm not consistent with it?
And lastly, I made some fret markers on the side with nail varnish, a bit silly but it works.
>>
>>63230068

>meme

Not sure I'd call it a meme anon.

I probably should have said that in my opinion they are just as good though. I tried both and swithered over which to buy for a long time. In the two models I tried in store I could find no glaring differences in fretwork or external build quality. Maybe I just had a good CV next to a shoddy MIM though, who knows.

I guess the vintage style tuners and saddles aren't for everyone and electronics could well be of a higher quality on the MIM but for me the CV turned out to be the better (and considerably cheaper) option.
>>
>>63231719
I guess you've got to find the 12th inexistant fret to set the intonation by measuring half the string's length from the nut or bridge
>>
>>63231846
I usually just find the 12th fret harmonic and adjust the intonation until it lines with the fret marker
>>
>>63231875
Yeah that works too
>>
>>63231846
afaik you just press down directly on the 12th fret to set intonation, but I'm really not sure if that would even work with me being as inaccurate as I am at the moment.
>>63231875
12th fret harmonic is very close to the 12th line on all 4 strings for me, I'm just not sure how close I can get it or how important that is. I know that you do fine intonation by ear if you're good enough, I just want to sound decent while following the lines. Could you also check out the vocaroo link I posted and tell me how my intonation is on that? That would be super nice.
>>
>>63224533
Same here, love the look, love the sound of it.
>>
>>63231967
You sound a little sharp in places but its not too bad
>>
>>63232200
Okay, cool. Thank you, I guess that's from pressing down harder with the finger or just being a bit off.
>>
>>63231967
>Could you also check out the vocaroo link I posted and tell me how my intonation is on that?
Even with a good ear, no one's gonna be able to tell you that.
>>
>>63232266
Having perfect pitch helps you know
>>
I posted the OP image from a screencap and I can't remember the manga anymore, sorry guys. It really sucked though so don't worry about it. Pretty much had nothing to do with guitar apart from that scene too.
>>
File: 20111207174341ed9.jpg (100 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
20111207174341ed9.jpg
100 KB, 800x600
http://strawpoll.me/7054083

Please respond.
>>
>>63232314
>Having perfect pitch helps you know
Only 0.05% of the population has a perfect pitch.

But that's not even relevant to what you were asking. You're asking us to tell you if your intonation is right by hearing a random recorded bassline on a fretless. Since you also told us that you were also inaccurate in your playing, I'd say that's impossible to do
>>
>>63232437
I'm not actually the guy who asked, but I just took his question to mean was his by ear intonation in playing
>>
>>63232522
>I just took his question to mean was his by ear intonation in playing
English is not my native language but I'm almost sure that this sentence makes no sense. I understood what you meant though.
>>
>>63229371
I have a Reverend Double Agent OG
awesome guitar.
super high attention to detail/quality all over, awesome neck/frets. Locking tuners, graphite nut. Guitar stays in tune amazingly well. Only have to tweak things a couple of cents bout once a week. Only thing I didn't like was the humbucker was a bit midrange heavy. Bass roll off knob is way more useful than a normal tone control.
>>
>>63232622
Yeah sorry I don't speak English well either
>>
File: C-leste-Boursier-Mougenot-001.jpg (53 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
C-leste-Boursier-Mougenot-001.jpg
53 KB, 620x372
>>63232622
>>63232791
We /int/ now.
>>
>>63230068
you retard
part of the reason why they're good for 350 is because they have fender mexico hardware.
I have a CV tele and some MIM Fenders, the CV is just as good in terms of quality.

They don't have lacquer on the neck either you dipshit, its poly, like 99% of all guitars. Some MIM have a special line of lacquer run guitars, fender has some, but they are exceptions to the norm.
>>
So I want to get a third guitar just for C standard so I don't have to keep adjusting my D standard back and forth.

Besides a 25.5" scale length, what are some good things to consider for a guitar tuned that low down? Prefer ESP/Jackson and their subsidiaries because I have smaller hands and prefer thinner/smaller necks.
>>
>>63232847
Nah m8. Even at its worst, /gg/ is never that bad.
>>
only 2 month's shipping, not bad for 3 picks that were supposed to come in "5-6 business days"
>>
>>63232920
lol what

where did you order from?
>>
File: 20140010_0065.jpg (123 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
20140010_0065.jpg
123 KB, 1600x1066
>>63232847
I always enjoy your qtbirds, anon.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-12+at+10.00.32).jpg (151 KB, 947x496) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-12+at+10.00.32).jpg
151 KB, 947x496
>>63225544
>>
>>63224699
please dont kill yourself, i think you're a nice chap
>>
>>63231719
Sounds good considering it's your second day of owning a fretless. Your intonation isn't that bad, better than a lot of people actually (including mine). Gary Willis wrote some article on his website about setting up intonation on fretless. Just google it and it should come up. I would probably trust his advice considering he's an amazing fretless player and all that.
>>
File: 12_1.jpg (43 KB, 710x473) Image search: [Google]
12_1.jpg
43 KB, 710x473
>>63233143
The blooz birdies are lovely and photogenic as fuck
>>63232899
True, there are some decent folk here.
>>63233556
I agree, you need to look for some way to change your outlook in life. Maybe exercise?
Having suffered from depression I can relate to the struggle mate. We are all gonna make it.
>>63233647
Nice seven.
>>
>>63224699
Don't kill yourself man you have all those bootiful axes to live for :^)

Maybe buy a synth and try something new
>>
File: kurt cobain.jpg (74 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
kurt cobain.jpg
74 KB, 306x306
Does neck length matter?

I am a guitar noob and I have a stratocaster but if I were to buy a new guitar should I get a shorter length guitar (mustang or jaguar maybe) if I have small girl hands?
>>
>>63233732
Yes, it affects sound.
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_and_Instrument_Fretting_and_Fretw/Scale_Length_Explained.html

>if I have small girl hands
51.5072° N, 0.1275° W?
>>
>>63233732
Lots of people with small hands can play basses well but if you're just learning maybe get something with a shorter scale until you get a bit better.

I started with a strat copy then when I played a shorter scale it was so much easier
>>
What's a reasonable price for a used Ditto Looper?
>>
>>63229371
NOISE
>>
>>63230645
ive played it, very nice guitar especially for the price, if you can spend a bit more one of the similarly designed gretsch guitars are quite nice as well
>>
>>63234003
$40-50?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=ditto%20looper&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
>>
Do I get a Fender Jaguar or a Gretsch White Falcon type guitar for a jangly/surfy kind of tone? I like the fullness of the Gretsch's sound (and I prefer the tremolo system) but I feel like the Jaguars are more versatile.
>>
>>63234150
Gretsch guitars are a lot more versatile, but a White Falcon, and most of the GOAT Gretsches, cost beaucoup money compared to a Fender Jaguar.

I'd still get the Gretsch unless I had to get a guitar now and didn't have the money.
>>
>>63234150
The While Falcon is on an entirely different level.
>>
Can you haggle for used items in Guitar Center?
>>
>>63234290
>While

damn phone
>>
>>63234280
>>63234290
I don't mean a legit White Falcon. I meant one of the more expensive Electromatics. They're similar in price to the MIM Jaguars so that's why I asked.
>>
>>63228253
I bought it from reverb.com. There's a store called drum Russia with love run by a guy called Ivan who imports guitars from Japan. Looking at his sale history he's sold a fair amount of lefty jags and jms in the past but there are other sellers too.
>>
>>63234451
From Russia not drum Russia. Not sure what happened there
>>
>>63234369
In that case, I'd still get the Gretsch.
>>
>>63234568
This is the one I've been looking at. It's cheaper than the Jaguars so if it's better for me to go with the Gretsch then I'll happily do so. It's also fucking huge and that's great.
>>
>>63233065
amazon, retailer brook mays
>>
>>63234697
it's not huge at all, you're confusing it for another model
don't accidentally buy the wrong guitar anon I'll laugh
>>
what's a good baby's first Hendrix song? I think I could handle a few of his songs, but if anyone here has learned any I'd appreciate the guidance.
>>
>>63234369
I've had various electromatics over the years. The MIK ones made 5-10 years ago were really awesome. The more recent MIC ones are kinda meh, the more recent MIK ones are decent 700-900 dollar guitars. You could probably find something better in that price range but they sound ok and play ok and look awesome.

I'd say older MIK Electromatics were as good as the higher end MIM fenders, newer MIK a little below.
>>
>>63234846
Purple Haze maybe?. Fun to play for sure
>>
>>63234306
Please respond
>>
>>63234306
>>63234939
Not really. Used prices are set by corporate. They have to make twice what they pay to bring something in, and 99% of the time they start the price as low as possible so people will buy from them and not ebay.
>>
newbie here, what's the difference between a humbucker and a single coil?
>>
>>63233148
Its definitely a good amp but it's overpriced.
I'd advise you to check on the ashdown amps on musicplanet, they have a similar grain and the prices are much better.
>>
>>63235017
two pickups with opposite polarity in a humbucker
>>
>>63233641
Cool, thanks. I'll check that out. I know that the tune isn't anything special but I think I now know how to get that "mwah" going, doesn't sound too bad considering this is a defretted Squier IMO.
>>
>>63235017
humbucker characteristics
-usually higher output
-usually flatter EQ, midrange becomes more apparent
-more sustain (?)
-thicker more powerful/focused sound
-less 60 cycle hum

single coils
-EQ more highend
-bell like quality
-chimey/jangly sounds
-more charismatic/nuanced sound with cleaner sounds
-more dynamics
>>
>>63235120
>two pickups
No, it's 2 rows of magnets, each with its own coil. And coils don't have a polarity either, you just wire them up in a way that has the signal going "clockwise" on one and "counterclockwise" on the other, effectively changing the phase 180° on one of them.
>>
and what about passive/active pickups?
>>
File: ultra realistic dog.jpg (52 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ultra realistic dog.jpg
52 KB, 640x640
whats the deal with telecasters? why are they considered so good and why are they so expensive?
it has a cheap design and nothing special about it
>>
>>63234809
I think I was confusing it with an actual White Falcon. The 5420s aren't too big either.

>>63234897
I'd really like something in that colour scheme but I'll look at some alternatives.
>>
>>63235426
All pickups are passive, "active" pickups or electronics in a guitar just boost the signal via a built-in pre-amp and sometimes allow you to EQ it before it hits the amp.
>>
>>63234846
purple haze definetely, most of his songs are easy to play if you have the patience to figure them out, but it takes a long time to memorize
>>
>>63235426
Oh and an active instrument needs a battery, passive guitars don't.
>>
>>63235449
Dude, that's kind of the point I think. Tele's are so versatile,and their sound differs rom Strats.
>>
>>63235309
each coil can function independently, they just don't. They're literally two pickups wired in series.
>>
>>63235583
still way too expensive for such a minimalistic guitar
>>
>>63235595
Yes, but you're talking to a newb. A soapbar Humbucker distinctly looks like 1 pickup, it's easier to explain that it houses 2 coils instead of saying that it's 2 pickups. Hell, we even refer to split coils as 1 pickup, so let's leave it at that.
>>
>>63235036
really? It all seems to be more expensive
>>
>>63235639
>minimalistic
So what? Price doesn't come from the fact that it's easier or harder to make, whether it took 100$ in parts or 500$ in parts to make it, price comes from what people are willing to pay for it. And people like telecasters and are willing to pay a lot for them.
>>
File: BzetWqLCQAAgXlW.jpg (12 KB, 444x298) Image search: [Google]
BzetWqLCQAAgXlW.jpg
12 KB, 444x298
>>63235779
it's a shit guitar
>>
>>63235861
That literally doesn't matter if people are willing to pay that much for a shit guitar. Look at how much people pay for terrible Gibsons.
>>
>>63235449
they're really not expensive at all.
>>
>>63233732
go to a store and play them both. I'm a girl too and a full scale neck has never given me problems. I actually prefer my Jazzmaster and Tele to my old Musicmaster. But go to a store and try for yourself.
>>
File: IMG_20160311_173702.jpg (194 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160311_173702.jpg
194 KB, 720x720
>1984 Squier Contemporary Stratocaster ST-331

>Late 70s Peavey Deuce 2×12

>EHX Micro Q Tron

>MXR Distortion+

The rig.
>>
File: ashdown.png (68 KB, 657x267) Image search: [Google]
ashdown.png
68 KB, 657x267
>>63235721
That's because ashdown is generally an expensive brand. But pic related is actually cheaper than in EU stores for exemple.
>>
>>63235449
they are good because they sound good, play well, are durable and simple

they are expensive because you are a faggot that sucks dick
>>
Oh boy here we go

guitars worth noting:
Ibanez grg 250DX. Heavily modified with invader pickups. I love thins guitar for no practical reason but its color scheme
Gibson SG 2010. My most expensive peace
various strat/tele knockoffs and a Jackson something i used tuned really low.

Strings: usually used 10/52s except for the Jackson witch has some funky ultra heavy set 13-60something i think.

Amps:
2 Peavey VK100 Heads and 2 matching 4x12 cabs. Was cheap when you buy in bulk xD
A orange tiny terror.
Some orange 30W head i got, but it was so beat up when i got it that I'm not sure witch one it is. Fixed it up and its my favorite, id like more orange stuff, but its so damn expensive :(
Marshall MG10 for practice in the small ass thin walled apartment i live in.

Pedals;
Various flavors of the boss rainbow, DS1,CS3,DD7,OD1,NS2,PH3... To be honest since i got a decent amp i only use the NS2 and even that just when i play live, since these small clubs get noisy really fast sometimes i just need a mute pedal.
Some other stuff includes a Dunlop wah, one of those fancy Whammy octavers digitech has, A Ibanez tubescremer made in japan.
A novelty AKG wireless guitar system. As well as a wireless monitoring system. These cost way too much considering i only used them a hand full of times :(.

Senhiser eSomething microphone set.
2 Shure sm57/58s.
A Yamaha 800W Mixer/Amplifier i use for monitor mixing and sometimes in practice spaces

A Casio midi keyboard i use for writing down my music. Its shitty and cheap but it gets the job done faster than clicking.

I have no active project at the time, but if i won't turn down a deal if it pays enough to cover at least the travel expenses.
I play a lot less than i did in my teens now. But i get payed a lot better since i started session work for old people. Hence i can afford these goodies. I also work full time as a guitar tech at a local music store witch pays most of my rent.
Will answer general questions
>>
help i accidentally learned to play Never Meant and now i cant stop playing it
>>
I'm building a jazzmaster and I had a squier bridge/trem and I'm definitely going to replace the bridge but does the tremolo matter as much? Like would it be worth it to upgrade that too or is it not a big deal?
>>
>>63236864
Well the squire trem/bridge is a bit higher than the jazzmaster trem. You could set it up as low as it will go but the intonation will be a mess. I would just buy the proper thing since it's like 25 bucks and your buying the bridge anyway.
>>
>>63237006
I've already decided on a different/better bridge, I just want to know if the tremolo itself would be alright or if I should replace that too
>>
>>63236864
no, the trem design is basically fool proof.
>>
>>63237093
>the trem design is basically fool proof.
Save for the fact it rattles when you play lighter strings.
>>
>you will never catch that ventriloquist
>>
>>63237127
That's your fault for setting it up all wrong.
>>
>>63237127
>>63237093
Oii so I should replace that too?
>>
>>63237168
I've played made in china crap that didn't rattle, and there are aftermarket jazzmaster bridges that don't rattle either, it's a design flaw, a bridge should accomodate to most normal gauge strings.
>>
>>63236408
>Ibanez GIO
>Pickups worth more than the guitar itself
Y tho? I get most of the tone comes from pickups and your amp, so no need for expensive guitars, still GIOs feel awful on your hand and the bridge sistem on them is infamous for being unstable. Looks cool but you couls have modded another superstrat like an RG 350 to look like it.
>>
I have a telecaster. What amp should I get to get good clean tones ala midwest emo?
>>
>>63237311
>midwest emo
a noose, or twin reverb, that'll break your twink spine.
>>
>>63237311
Fender SuperSonics are a start (American Football use them, both back in the 90s and now)
>>
>>63237253
sounds like a loose screw to me. There aren't many points of failure with that term design. I am talking about the design which is the same as Fender's.
>>
>>63237348
>wahhh you like music I don't like
>>
>>63237290
It's the first guitar i bought with money made from playing.
It's more of a sentimental thing. And I'm so used to it that it like coming home for apple pie. I did sink a lot of money in to it to make it sound less like shit, all the electornics have been ripped out a long time ago. And the bridge system isn't as shit as it seems, but I'm probably in denial.
>>
>>63237396
>waaah I can't just try some amps
>>
File: tremnotbridge.jpg (86 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
tremnotbridge.jpg
86 KB, 500x241
>>63237253
>>63237168
>>63237127
>>63237093
I'm not asking about the bridge here guys I'm just asking if there's a difference in quality between a Squier tremolo and a Fender or a mastery or something
>>
File: 1920x1080.jpg (281 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1920x1080.jpg
281 KB, 1920x1080
>>63237311
Roland JC-40 or higher
>>
>>63237421
The arm on my Squier one has gone completely floppy, maybe I'm too rough with it, maybe the metal is shit.
>>
>>63237420
Why would I try every single amp if I can ask for recommendations?

>>63237434
>>63237359
I will give these a look. Thanks
>>
>>63237453
you can order them online. Thats pretty normal though, if you use them a lot they'll definitely get worn out

So the trem itself is alright?
>>
am i wrong or does the squier version not have the tremlock?
>>
>>63237497
>every single amp
Surely you know something about amps.
>>
>>63237497
I highly recommend the roland jc series too, especially a higher one like the 90 or 120 :^)
>>
>>63237501
Yeah it's better than I expected, but

>>63237506
No lock, I think it would be worth having one.
>>
>>63237506
nah youre right, it's not a big deal imo though especially if that's the only difference
>>
Guys, I dont want to spend a gorillian dollars on a DAW. Are there any other ways to slow down music so that I can learn by ear much easier?
>>
>>63237822
Audacity you tit.
>>
>>63237403
I guess that's fair enough, no doubt, it must sound massive with those pups. I was just wondering why. I know what its like to fall in love with a guitar. I couldnt bring myself to get rid of my washburn X-40
>>
>>63237822
Its not that hard to pirate most daws even if you just get an older version, and if you want to be "moral" about it either buy it later anyway or just use trials until you can afford it.

If you just wanna slow stuff down just use audacity though
>>
>>63237822
Doesn't youtube have speed controls?
>>
>>63237860
>>63238008
>>63237982
Changes the pitch of songs when you do that
>>
>>63237420
Ur a lil bitch
>>
>>63237822
there's like 50 free daws choose one
>>
>>63238129
fite me kvnt
>>
>>63238113
slow it down and raise the pitch as much as you slowed it down so only the tempo changes

i havent used audacity in a while so i dont know the specifics but thats the gist of it
>>
>>63237860
Audacity doesn't have phrase training or time stretch you jackass.
>>
File: Gear area 3.jpg (3 MB, 3072x4608) Image search: [Google]
Gear area 3.jpg
3 MB, 3072x4608
bored and today is nice, any of you anons want me to take some photos of my stuff? also apparently my bass amp died while I was away so im limited to an amplug on my ric, rip
>>
>>63238232
Cry more.
>>
What gauge strings would I need to play super low like A# tuning shit. I play on a 6 string.
>>
>>63238211
never mind, just choose change tempo, not speed and it should stay the same pitch
>>
>>63238255
>any of you anons want me to take some photos of my stuff
Join a forum you boring cunt, and for fucks sake get a decent amp.
>>
>>63238232
>Audacity doesn't have phrase training or time stretch you jackass.
Update your Audacity. It got time stretch about eight years ago.
>>
Back when i was learning how to play we had a tape recorder that had a resisotr soldered to the electirc motor of the drive. So it would play back at roughly half the speed. And these cunts today cant even play an MP3 at half speed.
pitch adjustment lel
>>
>>63238275
Fair call, and working on it anon
>>
>>63238291
>back in my days kids didn't have shoes
Nobody cares m8.
>>>/oap/
>>
>>63238255
Pick of amp chassis, and if you have a soldering iron i can tell you how to fix it.
>>
>>63238325
boo hoo hoo, I cant play for shit and i need to slow it down to hear the super fast hipster ukulele solo.
>>
>>63238328
It's just not turning on, I don't have the first idea what could be broken. you want a pic of the inside?
>>
>>63238211
okay cool thanks it works.
>>
>>63238355
yes. The pick of the chasis. preferably one i can see the transformer and/or the unerside.
Chances are you blew a fuse. or have a burtn out cap in the power supply filters
>>
>>63238354
>implying that was me
old faggot pls
>>
File: 2016-03-12+14.03.11.jpg (3 MB, 2981x1676) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12+14.03.11.jpg
3 MB, 2981x1676
>>63238367
I think ill have to unscrew it
>>
>>63229819
>>63230133

Yeah..that solid state quality is very often liked in loud noise rock. So yeah. solid states vs. Tubes doesn't matter. Sound matters.. and the poster should just buy an amp he likes.
>>
>>63238262
pls help
>>
>>63238516
i'm afraid it's terminal djent you have to buy the 8 strings or face the consequences
>>
>>63238516
>>63238262
make sure you have the scale length to keep the intonation.
13-62s
>>
>>63238442
should I? I'm not sure I'm up to DIYing this thing
>>
>>63238442
Time to buy a new amp guy.
No tech will look at solid state stuff. And even if they do, they charge an arm and a dick. Usualy more than the amp is worth.
>>
>>63238634
I mean you could it's not rocket science, but I wont be around for longer than an hour to help
>>
>>63238594
what would the appropriate length be?
>>
>>63238232
I use Tuxguitar with full tabs. Obviously it's shitty midi, but at least you can slow down and incrementally speed up specific sequences with the learning mode.
>>63238255
get some cool pics of that cort
>>
>>63238516
why on earth would you want to play in a#
>>
>>63238694
I can't use tabs for the songs I want to be learning, it's sheet music or nothing and I'm far too late to be able to learn sheet music, i've already been playing music for 17 years
>>
>>63238694
mkay
>>63238638
>>63238661
I'm just not familiar with the stuff required, havent touched any electrical shit since I was like 12. I guess this gives me a reason to hurry up on choosing a new one?
>>
>>63238699
for dank tones
>>
>>63238699
For A it sould be 26in+
You might be able to get away with 25.5 if you have a very adjustable bridge.
>>
File: Tuxguitar_screenshot.png (99 KB, 1280x974) Image search: [Google]
Tuxguitar_screenshot.png
99 KB, 1280x974
>>63238721
It doesn't matter if you just want to slow down a song, just hit play and use your sheet.
Also Tuxguitar shows tabs AND sheet music.
>>
>>63235231
>>63224517
Wait a second, is that mwah on fretless basses partially from buzz against the finger board? It seems that way, should I eliminate the buzz or is that actually preferred on fretless? <-- confused.
>>
My rig, Sailor Moon wallet in photo for keks. I guess I'm a Peavey fanboy, w/e.

This rig is really doomy and lo-fi. Love the sounds I can get. Clean, it's sparkly as hell, the single pickup Squier is surprisingly diverse depending on how you dial the volume. I also have a couple late 70s Peavey cabs stashed elsewhere. I'm also a drummer. My friend, brother, and I are thinking of forming a psychedelic trio.
>>
Been playing guitar for almost 12 years now, and I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo bridge. But I'm really thinking about getting my first one soon.

I've been looking at different kinds and just trying to understand how they work, how to set them up and all that. Just trying to be prepared.

So, basically for me it's between a Floyd Rose, the Ibanez Edge and a Kahler.
What are the pros and cons? What do you guys use? What should I be aware of when buying one?
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (114 KB, 995x420) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
114 KB, 995x420
/gg/ I'm bored. Post your halo guitars
>>
Anybody have any tips for recording on a strict budget? Like, I'm living off of EBT strict?
>>
>>63239264
It should have rolling saddles
>>
>>63239344
Use a cellphone and compress audio with audacity
>>
Are Floyd Rose Specials really that much worse than Floyd Rose Originals?
>>
>>63239643
Yes.
>>
>>63239742

$100 worse?
>>
What scales should I know to play metal in the style of Black Sabbath other than the minor pentatonic/blues scale?

Any other tips would be great as well.
>>
>>63239851
Not worth having at all worse. Pay the extra for an OFR.
>>
>>63239902

What about the Floyd Rose 1000?
>>
Anybody here build their own pedals?

I built a Bronx Cheer that sounds kinda neat but you really have to rein in. I threw together a really simple Kay Tremolo on my breadboard and once I get the right potentiometer I'll throw that on a stripboard and get my enclosure drilled.

I also tried to follow a layout for the Danelectro French Fries on tagboardeffects, but to be honest I prefer to work from a schematic and then design my own layout, it's definitely less space efficient but those layouts don't transfer too well to the breadboard and I want to make sure I can test it before I do anything.

Apparently I've accumulated the parts to clone a Big Muff Pi, but it's a little daunting right now so I'll probably wait until I have some more experience. Maybe I'll just order a PCB for it. That kinda feels like cheating, but it's probably my best option.
>>
>>63239951
Just get an OFR or Original Edge. The special is made in Korea to save money.
>>
>>63240005
>The special is made in Korea to save money.

Saving money is what I'm trying to do.
>>
>>63240028
>Saving money is what I'm trying to do.
Then you shouldn't be looking at buying a Floyd. If you don't buy a good one it'll cause you endless problems.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.