[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it retarded to ask permission for samples if you're an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: smackdown-080814-dean-ambrose.jpg (129 KB, 687x522) Image search: [Google]
smackdown-080814-dean-ambrose.jpg
129 KB, 687x522
Is it retarded to ask permission for samples if you're an independent rapper with no following?
I don't want to get sued if I ever blow up.
>>
File: 1451031978005.gif (982 KB, 247x336) Image search: [Google]
1451031978005.gif
982 KB, 247x336
>>63219352
just don't sell for money the shit you sample
>>
Yes. Until youre selling like 500 or more of physical copies no one gives a shit, especially if its obscure
>>
>>63219352
Mac Miller never asked
>>
Another note: the sample is from a nintendo game.
I probably shouldn't worry too much but nintendo tend to be copyright nazis.
>>
Who the fuck cares
Don't blatantly use the song and be creative about it, have your creative vision be your priority and have all other associated factors be secondary, no exceptions.
>>
>>63219509
>>
>>63219352
yes

no one is going to sue you over a soundcloud mixtape
>>
>>63219352
>Is it retarded to show you have honesty and integrity
Oh wait you are a rapper so...
>>
>>63220339
Same here
>>
>>63219509
>be creative about it
If he was really creative he wouldn't have needed the sample in the first place.
>>
Let's say the track ends up getting a million or so views on youtube.
Would I still likely be fine?
>>
>>63220462
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_NJg-xoeE
This track prominently uses samples from Super Mario Bros. (1:02 and onward) and has 4 million views with no trouble. I seriously don't think you'll have any problems, even if you're sampling more.
>>
>>63220629
Perfect. Thanks m8.
>>
>>63220411
i'm sure this is bait but most music being put out today has some sort of sample or interpolation intentional or not
>>
>>63220745
What a coincidence people complain recent music is not very creative!
>>
>>63220745
if you listen to pleb shit sure
>>
>>63220790
you gotta be fucking kidding me
>>
>>63220808
Must boggle your mind that someone in 2016 plays an instrument, huh?
>>
>>63220829
go to bed dad
>>
>>63220829
please point me to these instrument guys who are creating new notes that no one has ever used before
>>
>>63220940
Anyone who plays a guitar is playing any note differently than another person.
>>
>>63220745
I feel like we're starting to actually achieve postmodernism. The historical record for music and movies is now large and long enough that it's difficult to create something truly original.
>>
>>63219352
what kinda cold nigga would blow you up and THEN sue you
>>
>>63221253
If you thought of it yourself, it's original.

If you just copied someone's work directly, then it's not.

It's really that simple. Not sure why idiot millennials don't get it.
>>
>>63221312
yeah that's not how it works. if i learn what the color green is and think that trees are green that doesn't make it an "original" thought
>>
>>63221312
>he thinks ideas can be treated like personal property

nice buzzword, btw. artists have been appropriating previous works in their own artworks since the days of homer.
>>
>>63221013
yeah cause there's totally infinite strumming + picking patterns
>>
>>63221367
>if i learn what the color green is and think that trees are green that doesn't make it an "original" thought
Obviously we are talking about artistic expression you goofus.
You will perceive and express your green in a work differently than anyone else because you are a unique individual.
>>63221385
>what is copyrighting intilectual property
>g idk lol
Also
>appropriating
Nice buzzword
>>
>>63221396
Each player will perform them differently with subtle nuance variation. Maybe you just aren't trained to hear it.
>>
>>63221418
>what is copyrighting intilectual property

a mistake as far as art is concerned.

>nice buzzword
lmao, you're reaching. not at all a buzzword in that context.
>>
>>63221312
I agree with the sentiment. But it's not original. It's definitely still creative, and an original creation, but it's not a completely new construct. I'm just saying that 300 years from now, if we keep recording everything...you'll always be able to find something that sounds like something else.

Last thing I want to say is that some of the most creative things I've ever listened to were comprised completely of samples or inspired emulation of style. i.e. Kid Koala
>>
>>63221491
>a mistake as far as art is concerned.
Oh you are a non-artist. i see
>lmao, you're reaching. not at all a buzzword in that context.
Ooops you quoted the wrong post! You meant to quote >>63221385 Sorry about that!
>>
>>63221525
>sounds like
Define "sounds like". There are people who think all electronic music sounds alike.
>Last thing I want to say is that some of the most creative things I've ever listened to were comprised completely of samples or inspired emulation of style
But it wasn't necessary, was it?
>>
>>63221436
so is it really better for musicians to play "original" compositions with minute differences than to sample to create something that can't be achieved with instruments?
>>
>>63221583
>can't be achieved with instruments?
Of course it can.
>>
It couldn't hurt bro, I'd recommend it
>>
>>63219411
Is there a full video of this?
>>
>>63219352
you should really be worrying about your match at Roadblock, Dean.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.