[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/albinicore/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: cover.jpg (71 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
71 KB, 700x700
What do you prefer? Big Black, Rapeman or Shellac?
Favourite Albini Album?
Know of any similar artists?
>>
>>63196596
Rapeman > Shellac >> Big Black
>>
>>63196596
Big Black is best. Shellac is pretty good, but can be a mixed bag (especially the later albums, At Action Park is godly). Rapeman is meh.
>>
Albini used to be a big favourite of mine but looking back his shit is pretty boring, best thing he did was Atomizer

every single artist he's engineered except Peter Sotos sounds like Shellac so check who he's worked with

>>63196619
le contrarian face
>>
File: folder.jpg (50 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
50 KB, 350x350
>>63196629
Yeah, I only enjoyed At Action Park and 1000 Hurts was pretty alright too (+LIve in Tokyo if you count that) whereas I enjoyed most, if not all, of Big Black.
>>
>Not including Jesus Lizard and Slint
>>
>>63199355
Spiderland wasn't enigineered by Albini and that's the only release that matters
>>
File: 1433303764666.jpg (36 KB, 581x608) Image search: [Google]
1433303764666.jpg
36 KB, 581x608
>>63199355
Including them in what? The list of bands he was in?
>>
I think Rapeman is the most melodic, and personal favourite. Big Black the most confronting
>>
>>63196596
BECAUSE THEY WERE SQUIRRELS!
>>
>>63199466
REAL SQUIRRELS!
>>
why is it impossible to find a CD version of that album?
>>
>>63199688
AND THERE WERE THOUSANDS

>>63199716
It's on the "Rich Man's Eight Track Tape" comp.
>>
>>63199716
>>63199745
I don't think Albini likes CDs as a format either ("Rich Man's Eight Track Tape") and prefers to release on vinyl.
>>
>>63196596
Rapeman had the best record with Nuns

Big black was more consistent

Shellac were hit and miss,
Solid but worst
>>
Personally, I think Shellac and Rapeman are tied for best, maybe Shellac being a bit better.
Big Black had a fantastic concept, but the songwriting was pretty poor and that didn't allow for the ideas to developed properly. Steve works best with a solid three piece set up, and an actual drummer. With Big Black there was too much going on in the mix, and it felt like the members weren't reigned in and cooperating with each other.
The biggest flaw of Rapeman is that David Sims was really underutilized to give more focus to Albini's guitarwork.
Shellac's strength is that Albini takes a backseat approach to his guitar playing and lets Todd and Bob's musicianship shine.

>>63199798
Yup. Also why Shellac's record "Dude Incredible" comes with a free CD of the album, thrown inside the sleeve without care and without art printed on it. I don't know if the other Shellac records do that, though.
>>
>>63200022
are you >>63196619
>>
>>63200060
No, I'm >>63199745

Don't get me wrong, though, I love all of them.
>>
>>63200022
>I don't know if the other Shellac records do that, though.

He did the same with the vinyl versions of 1000 Hurts and Excellent Italian Greyhound too.
>>
Excellent Italian Greyhound got shit on so bad, I never even bothered listening to it or giving it a chance. What do you nerds think of it?
>>
>>63199745
>It's on the "Rich Man's Eight Track Tape" comp.

Minus a song, "Strange things".
>>
File: 093887w498u093.jpg (182 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
093887w498u093.jpg
182 KB, 900x900
>>
>>63196596

That's a tough one.
In his career he managed to do 3 masterpieces with 3 different bands:
Atomizer
Two Nuns and a Pack Mule
At Action Park

Shellac haven't been able to go anywhere near that level again, Rapeman was a short-lived project, so I'd choose Big Black as his best band.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.