[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Get me into bebop you faggots.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
Get me into bebop you faggots.
>>
listen to it and decide if you like it or not you fucking retard
>>
learn to play an instrument you faggot
>>
>>63195954
he's asking to get him into bebop not yourself
>>
this thread is fucking retarded because you already know that charlie parker and dizzie gilespie were the two best bebop musicians there were so just download some compilations of theirs and shut the fuck up god i had jazz plebs making stupid shitty posts on /mu/
>>
>>63195928
Well, I mean, going through all of the essentials is going to be easiest.

Try either:

>Parker With Strings (easy and accessible while still possessing bebop roots)
>Saxophone Colossus (same reason as above)
>Starting from post-bop and working back (Jackie McLean's Destination Out! should work for post-bop)
>>
>>63196131
This helps too

>>63196140
I realized that after I typed it lel
I should read things more closely
>>
>>63196207
I play bass, trombone, and piano actually, and have dabbled on double bass.
>>
>>63196142
Someone a little butthurt?
>>
>>63196262
Ok then
I would just start transcribing solos and standards of the genre then
When you get a technical grasp on the intricacies of the music, it becomes much more enjoyable and easier to really pick apart and enjoy IMO

Did you ever play in any jazz bands or orchestras?
>>
>>63195928
Get into drugs fgt
>>
>>63196298
Well I know quite a bit of the intricacies. My piano teacher was very much into jazz, and my bass teacher was a metal head. I probably couldn't transcribe them to be honest, it'd be stupidly difficult. I haven't played in an orchestra since high school.

I should say that I am much much more into classical than I am jazz, and have been to a few jazz shows live (Loston Harris was the last one).
>>
>>63195928
Bud Powell is a good place to start
>>
>>63196406
thread
>>
>>63196413
>I probably couldn't transcribe them to be honest, it'd be stupidly difficult

It's difficult but I would say it's super rewarding, especially given your musical background. What really got me into jazz and its language was transcribing the solo to Donna Lee when I was 14-15, and I think it helped me grasp the genius of those records that my dad played that I always enjoyed but never really understood.

And if you want to know something, sometimes it helps to pretend you're in the band and you're playing that solo. I don't usually advocate roleplay or escapism but it's good fun

And if you're coming from classical, try starting with Ellington and then moving forward to bebop. Duke's more composed yet still improvisational/busy style is a good segue
>>
>>63196470
you forgot your "/"
>>
>>63195928
bebop is cokeheads
cool is alcos
post-bop is potheads
free is heroin junkies
spiritual is lsd/trippers
fusion is crackheads

if you want into bebop, you know what to do
>>
>>63196634
wildly inaccurate
>>
>>63196527
Holy shit someone actually recommended me an Ellington record at the record store today.
>>
>>63196944
I would give "Live At Newport" a shot, and if you can't be bothered to sit through the whole thing, just give this a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgow060zOg
>>
File: cowboybebop.jpg (244 KB, 1146x786) Image search: [Google]
cowboybebop.jpg
244 KB, 1146x786
>>63195928
Start with episode 1
>>
>>63197049
>Watched it

Retarded ending, bad character development of Julia, not enough clarification of Spike's backstory, and the climax battle between Spike and Vicious was lacklustre.
>>
>>63197020
Guy handed me Ellington's Indigos. Didn't have the cash to get it at the time since I had to blow a stupid amount for Radiohead's Kid A and Daft Punk Alive (2007).

I did pick up Miles Davis though.
>>
>>63197203
Indigos is great too
If you're looking to get into jazz as a whole Davis is a good point but I plead for you to not get stuck there
>>
>>63196872
look im in a jazz quartet, we researched this and its true so take a hike
>>
>>63197251
I won't believe me, whenever I am exploring a genre I tend to go balls deep. I'll probably go to Ellington and Parker next.
>>
>>63197287
Nice

Also, check out Ellington- Roach- Mingus- Money Jungle
Definitely also a good point to get into that whole sound
>>
>>63196634
actually all jazz is for heroin junkies
>>
>>63197365
Oh okay gotcha.

Also I was going to pick up Webster meets Peterson buuuut I dropped it. Am I going to regret it?
>>
>>63197464
That's a great release but you can pick it up later, it's not essential for getting your foot in the door
>>
>>63197266
the whole thing should be heroin, especially bebop
>>
Look up the album Bird & Diz. The first track, Bloomdido, is one of the better bebop tunes in my opinion. It shows a lot about the genre.
Also the standard Groovin' High.
>>
>>63197151
faggot
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.