[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yeezus was avant garde, TLOP is post-modern.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: tlop.jpg (78 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
tlop.jpg
78 KB, 650x650
TLOP is post-modern not only in terms of production, it takes the current "trap" sound and puts a new spin on it. "FSMH 1" takes a post-modern approach to sampling, combining elements of Ye's old sound with the current "trap" style. Then out of nowhere it switches to the almost Yeezus-like instrumentation on the verse, accompanied with the popular auto tune effect, which could in itself be considered post-modern. Waves kicks in with the sample and then combines elements of RnB with trap and hiphop. indicating the undeniable fusion that is happening between these genres (TRAPSOUL). This trend continues on the almost rock-tinged FML and again on the house/soul/avantgarde "Fade". Cant forget abt Ultralightbeam and its implementation of gospel. Post-modern in the way lyrics and the way that they are used, the controversial bleached asshole line (think Thugger-esque). These are just a few examples of how this album brings a post-modern approach to the table. TLOP is a conglomerate of multiple different genres and sounds making it one of the most versatile albums in a while, very post-modern in the way that it incorporates sounds of many modern genres. This album is genius and people will catch up to it within a few years (like Yeezus).

Bottom line, Kanye is continually progressing, sometimes way faster than people can comprehend which is why many people didnt understand Yeezus, and now the same people do not get TLOP.
>>
TLOP is easily in his top 3
>>
>>63190759
>overanalyzing a downright mediocre album
as a Kanye fan, let me say it's over familia.
Yeezy is Jay-Z tier now
>>
>>63190759
progression of creativity in a field with a shitty cultural foundation is ultimately useless, if not that then a flawed method for creating good art
>>
>>63190759
Why do people feel compelled to write idiot pseudo-essays like this garbage? If you're trying to make a point, flesh it out a bit more instead of spitting this stream of consciousness pap at us. Obvious questions arise.

Like, I get the album is "postmodern", but why does this make it good? What exactly is 'avant-garde' about "Fade", by the way? And why use words like 'conglomerate' in the context you did? I get you're trying to be creative, but it certainly doesn't make your words read any better, and it sure as hell isn't an original or significant use of the word.

Kanye is progressing, I agree, and I think TLOP is his best album since 808s, but this post is embarrassing trash you should be ashamed of.

>>63190941
Tripfaggot, leave. Blacks have historically been the primary musical innovators of America. Hip-hop is extremely difficult, and poetically very dense. If you're not familiar with the dictates of the form, you're not going to be able to understand its appeal. Questions like "Why do rappers only talk about sex, guns, and money?" are like asking "Why does a haiku tend to have five, then seven, then five syllables?". Sex, violence, and wealth are extremely rich topics whose value for artistic inspiration will never be exhausted.
>>
>>63190759

you're literally just pointing out a bunch of disparate shit and calling it post-modern. Post-modernism can mean a whole host of different things depending both upon which discipline you're talking about (literary? art theory? hell, even within sociology there are like 10 definitions), but also upon which notion of modernity is being superceded.

Saying 'WOW HE COMBINED TWO THINGS!" = postmodern reveals that you're 17.

Also, album was p shit.
>>
>>63191093
>>63190759
Give me a functioning definition of "post-modern". Otherwise both of your points are null due to sheer idiocy.
>>
>>63191093
>Why do people feel compelled to write idiot pseudo-essays like this garbage?
Doing it about Kanye is a meme
>>
>>63190759
>>>>>>>post modern

>>63191093
>>>>>>>post modern

POST FUCKING MODERN

WHY ARE KANYE FAGS SO FUCKING RETARDED NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 223x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 223x270
Kanye can't even fucking read, how do you expect him to know what postmodernism is?
>>
>>63191138 ,
>>63191093 here.
I don't have one because it's so vague as to be pretty much meaningless.
>>
>>63191747
post modern is a made up term you fucking idiot. it means literally nothing
>>
>>63191771
How is what you're saying different from what I am.
Postmodernism is a phrase used in so many different contexts in different ways that use of it in this context is meaningless, as I said before.
>>
The entire genre of hip-hop is a meme, as it's objectively inferior/cheaper music.

We've tried to make ourselves believe rap is an "essential" genre and that if you don't like it you must be close minded. That's why this music has no staying power. All of rap is just a sub-genre of top-40 pop, with a "urban" paint job.

This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why rappers are discussed about like fashion. Image/fashion/numbers sold are actually considered when talking about them.

Rap is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of rap beats are just stealing (MUHH "SAMPLING") another artist's music, looping it over a generic drumbeat while someone raps over it. The "technical aspects" of rapping are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old white girls on YouTube uploading themselves flowing with ease and speed, dropping multis like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a rapper, no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from backpacker shit (cLOUDDEAD, dalek) to the "golden days" to 90's, to "experimental" (Death Grips), etc.

All rap is meme rap. Rap is not quality music. It's more of a guilty pleasure, like fast food. I guess it can taste good for a little while, until you realize how cheap and unhealthy it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 308x308
>Yeezus was avant garde
>>
It's pop rap
>>
Yeezy season.
>>
>>63190759
Why are Kanye plebs even allowed on the internet? How do they even know how to work a computer?
>>
>>63192633
Yeezy taught me
>>
>>63191851
There are many amazing rap albums from the 90s and 00s (a decade which gave us many classics), but there's also a lot of amazing shit right now. People focus on it because it's new, and it's good. Lots of stuff has stayed the test of time, too, but hip-hop is a more creatively active genre than many others, so it makes sense to speak about the newest shit.
You're also straight up wrong about 'rap beats'.
>>
I think this post is typical of Kanye's success. He half-assed an album which he barely put any thought into whatsoever, but because of how much conviction he puts into things, his fans do mental gymnastics to ascribe some concept of high art to everything he does.

in a Kanye thread I criticised TLOP because I found the clash between the theme of religious worship and Kanye's inane raps about models n shit to be jarring, and some Kanye bot was actually trying to convince me that Kanye intentionally merged these two ideas as a meta critique of the concept of duality, as if he didn't just want to say dumb shit about models because he felt like it. I mean, really? I love his previous albums and kinda liked TLOP but it's *literally* just hip-hop made by an eccentric retard. OP get a hold of yourself, for god's sake
>>
>>63192898
I know that's a contradiction when I said he half assed it with conviction. I mean because he's confident, heralded as a genius etc. any time he puts something out people strain to intellectualise it and try to find artistic intention behind things where there just isnt any. he's great but he's given too much credit
>>
>>63190759
Shit. It's like Pitchfork met /r/iamverysmart, had sex, raised the kid on Fantano videos and kicked him in the balls whenever he had a coherent argument.
>>
>>63191851
>That's why this music has no staying power.

good burn. Everything Kanye puts out gets played at a club I go to for approx 2 weeks... then... swooosh... it's gone.
>>
>>63192994
>Actually taking the bait copy pasta seriously
>>
TLDR: They both trash
>>
>>63192898
What do you think about the album cover? The family picture and contrasting with the ass shot, and "WHICH / ONE"

I understand not feeling this from the album but Kanye clearly wanted some kind of dual-theme in the album, one being religious/introspective and the other being sex, disgusting and childish lyrics, braggadocio I'm not saying he pulled it off well, I'm saying the intention is there.
>>
>>63193100

I remember when this was his album cover
>>
>>63190963
do you have a snapchat?

people are blasting this constantly
>>
>>63193206
>people are blasting this constantly

Wait approx 1 month. Beyonce has more staying power than Kanye.
>>
>>63193297
lol no way. beyonce has about 4 good singles in her entire career and is famous because she's a black feminist with an ass
>>
>>63190759
I don't think you understand what post-modern means

TLOP also just isn't that great
>>
mfw mu isn't even into metamodernism yet
>>
>>63190759
jesus christ is this a fucking troll post?
>>
>>63192898
The contrasting lyrics and soul samples paint a message that is easier to see. Why do you think road signs are black and yellow? Because they're contrasting and are therefore easier to see
>>
>>63193731
woooaaaaahhhhhh duuuuuuudeeeeeee

this post is still dumb as fuck and the album is mediocre
>>
would i call the album itself genius? no. it's just a fun album with some really glossy beats. kanye himself has said it's barbecue music.

but fun kanye is good, this is him turning a page slowly into the self-aware, married, mature kanye
>>
>>63192744
>You're also straight up wrong about 'rap beats'.
How's he wrong? 99% of all beats are a straight 909 beat + sampled unaltered instrumental, looped carelessly. Few will go beyond this and actually get creative with pitchshifting, rearranging the samples, etc. Even fewer will produce instrumentals of their own. I'm not bashing sampling, the method, but rather its usage in rap, that's most of the time lazy and amateur.
>>
>>63193793
>mature

did you miss the bleached asshole line?
>>
>>63194074
It's abrasive and immature outside of context because it's illustrating his struggle as a Christian man to avoid self-destructive temptations such as pleasures of the flesh; TLOP as a whole is a gospel album. Look at the bigger picture.
>>
>>63193731
I never thought of it that way. Makes the album a lot clearer to me... thanks!
>>
>>63190759
People never talk about yeezus anymore, the albums are shit.
Nice b8 though
Here is a bump
>>
>>63190759
it's not groundbreaking or even that good. you are riding Kanye's little dick, aren't willing to explore other artists, but you want to be patrish
>>
>>63190759
kanye is a producer, not a artist
>>
>>63190759
it's postmodern, and it's shit
>>
File: Ye's Wild Ride.png (43 KB, 647x349) Image search: [Google]
Ye's Wild Ride.png
43 KB, 647x349
ATTENTION

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LMAO
>>
File: rejoice.png (11 KB, 99x56) Image search: [Google]
rejoice.png
11 KB, 99x56
>>63197350
There is a God.
>>
>>63197350
So let me get this straight

Yeezy puts on a crazy man persona and throws his album up, his album plays into his persona, and y'all start your Tidal trials to listen for free like you outsmarted Yeezy. One month later and now he's acting normal and is gearing up to drop the biggest fucking album of 2016 and you're going to pay for it. Kanye played y'all once again LMAO
>>
>>63197350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY
>>
>>63197350
excited
>>
>>63197350
Its gonna come out after the 14th when everyone's free Tidal trial runs out.
>>
File: 1455505310733.jpg (20 KB, 657x410) Image search: [Google]
1455505310733.jpg
20 KB, 657x410
>>63197350
>he's gonna finish wolves
he better put vic mensa and sia back on it and remove or at least rewrite/rerecord his verse, holy fuck he destroyed it so badly but actually has a chance to make up for it.
keep frank at the end though.
>>
Copying threads from KTT
>>
>>63191851
>This music doesn't stand the test of time

Stopped reading here. Nas' illmatic and Wu-Tangs 36 chamber are classics that still sound amazing today.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.