[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody listening to Indian classical music here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: kishoriamonkar1.jpg (22 KB, 318x431) Image search: [Google]
kishoriamonkar1.jpg
22 KB, 318x431
Anybody listening to Indian classical music here?
>>
no lol
>>
>>63180396
what a tragedy
>>
>>63180384
poo
>>
File: 1450293053041.jpg (31 KB, 320x277) Image search: [Google]
1450293053041.jpg
31 KB, 320x277
Pajeet pls

Maybe when your country shows a semblance of civilization I'll listen to Hindustani classical.
>>
pajeet my son
>>
>>63180384
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>63180384
>implying Amerifats care about classical unless it makes them appear sophisticated
>>
poo in loo
>>
P O O
O
O
>>
I listen to Ravi Shankar, do sitar ragas count? Either way I'd love some suggestions.
>>
File: shankar.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
shankar.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
Does anyone know what sort of proportion of this type of music is improvised?
I know basically nothing about Hindustani classical but it doesn't seem that these entire pieces were pre-composed to my ears.
>>
>>63181073
I have an old "Music of India" record at home that describes Indian music as being in kind of two different sects, one is strictly composed and the other is basically all improv. The music on the album is all improvised, it actually sounds like the guy is playing the sitar like a guitar, it's pretty sick.
>>
>>63180384
D
>>
Nusrats the GOAT
>>
>>63181121
I suppose that's why a lot of westerners like myself who know nothing about this music tend to like it so much.
In my head, I was linking up a lot of the stuff he plays to how a jazz soloist would come at the music. Like obviously the scalic, rhythmic and harmonic approach is very different but the way he develops motifs and plays around with tempo and dynamics is like the sort of thing I think of a great modal player endeavoring to do.
>>
>>63180384
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mQT-fmWyA

this song doe. btw can anyone tell me what chords are played on the accordeon?
>>
DESIGNATED
POO
LOO
>>
>>63180384

I've been getting into a bit of Indian classical.

I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBkfzuuyUY&index=17&list=LL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q
>>
>>63181265
Well I mean a lot of guitar players in the 60's just picked up a sitar and just got the hang of it, like I think a lot of the unique theory stuff comes from the instrument itself but the way it's played isn't that dissimilar from more common instruments; like the overtones come from how the sitar is constructed whereas the playing style might be similar to like a guitar, so you get musical similarities even though the instruments are doing two very different things. Kind of like a synthesizer and piano, you know.
>>
>>63181385
Yeah, I guess when you've got instruments played with a similar technique, one is bound to find similarities. Even if they come from very different and unrelated musical traditions.
That said, a lot of the exotic stuff is pretty damn fascinating too. Like, on that second track, the way Shankar uses intonation as a means to play melodic lines (particularly towards the start) is just incredible. Bent notes and pitch variation obviously happen a lot in western music but I don't think I've ever heard it function so heavily as a melodic tool. Usually it's just there for ornamentation and articulation.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.