[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quoting musicians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 840x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 840x640
Post your favorite musician quote.
>>
>doing technical work
>>
>>63164742
what the fuck is that supposed to mean? does she not want to be called a woman? or does she imply she's doing a mans job? what the fuck
>>
>>63164742
Now I'm imagining Grimes as a scientist scientically engineering music.
>>
PUSSY MONEY WEED TIS ALL A NIGGA NEED
>>
>>63164779
It's how people attribute her more as a female than as a musician.
They look at her gender first and foremost, where with men it's just a "default" and they look past that. Like a news article will focus on what she wore to a concert than how she performed.

I don't really like grimes though but has a point.
>>
>>63164814
well maybe if her popularity was based on her music and not on her looks people would label her a musician more than a girl
>>
>>63164742
this went downhill really really quickly
>>
File: grimes-onset_nlzdxd.jpg (104 KB, 1024x533) Image search: [Google]
grimes-onset_nlzdxd.jpg
104 KB, 1024x533
>I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

#Blessed
>>
>>63164838
/thread
>>
>>63164838
I think she initially tried to be unappealing visually so people wouldn't, and it backfired in a special snowflake "she's so untraditional i want her' kind of way as you saw on /mu/
>>
>>63164891
that's not how it fucking works though, it's her own fault
>>
this is a quote from isaac brock, he sometimes would just tack it on last minute to trailer trash, but it's misattributed to jesse lacey sometimes I think because he consistently keeps it in his covers of trailer trash.
>>
>>63164742
"Fuck the police!" - all black rappers.
>>
>>63164742
If she simply didn't answer questions relating to her gender maybe she wouldn't get so many. But I guess you have to relate everything to being a woman even when you hate when others do it.
>>
>>63164974
that's like mopping a flooding bathroom instead of turning off the sink.
>>
>>63164944
Preach my brother!
>>
She definitely has a point.

That being said, I truly wonder what musicians in general mean when they say things like "I wish interviewers asked about my music"... do they want interviews to go like this:

Q: I noticed you used a C-major in this part of the song. Why the major instead of the minor?

A: Well I wanted it to sound more uplifting, and less dark. So I went with the major.

Q: Ah, cool. So what about the tempo? I notice you tend to work around 100 bpm. Why that choice, musically?

A: Well I find that the genres I play around with hover around that tempo range, plus or minus. So it's always a good starting point.

I mean I guess that's not much worse than how musician interviews are now, but still.
>>
>>63165025
Do YOU even know what you were trying to say?

If she made it a point to not answer any questions that judge her based on gender then interviewers would have to ask other questions. Unless you honestly think any publication would love wasting money on awkward silence and wasted interviews.
>>
>>63165128
that's...
Actually something I'd prefer.
Like in some of my own stuff I do some (imo) interesting things like trying to seamlessly use odd time signatures like 19/16 without being cliche proggy or anything.
I try to do it subtly and don't blast it around, and it'd be cool to get some questions asked about the music on a deeper level like that.
>>
>>63165135
You think that if you refuse to answer questions on a certain subject in 2016 that journalists are just going to go "oh, sorry, I won't ask about that again" and move on to the next question?

I think it would be more likely that the journalist would just harp on that question and on why Grimes wouldn't answer it to the point of harassment and then title the piece "Rude Grimes Rants at Polite, Innocent Do-Gooder Journalist"
>>
>>63165222
nice trips
>>
>>63165222

that's not a deep level at all, though. 'i try to blend non-4/4 with 4/4'

whoa man

you're like, way out there. definitely something i'd love to read your thoughts on
>>
>>63165227
Actually yes, because this is how a professional deals with people who try too hard to probe to get "SHOCKING REVELATIONS" from an artist. If you are the slackjawed teenager I think you are you simply don't understand that artists don't owe anything to interviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ER_q0B1-I
>>
File: swift nazi.jpg (99 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
swift nazi.jpg
99 KB, 600x600
>>
>>63165297
... Well a fan would be interested lol?
In a make believe world where I have them of course.
It's not about being deep, it's about being deeper, actually talking about music in itself.

No need to get all insecure
"SOMEONE'S DEVALUING WHAT I CONSIDER DEEP, TO THE RESCUE I COME TO SAVE THINE NAME FROM TARNISHING"
>>
>rolling off random frequencies in an EQ graph
>technical work

lmao tbqh

ps. maybe if you stopped taking tryhard artsy photos all day people would ask you about your shit music idk

someone post some thugger quotes itt
>>
>>63165366

>actually talking about music in itself

is not a skill i think most musicians have in any interesting way. musicians are truly awful at talking about theory and sound. if you don't believe me, go get five fellow musicians and try to come up with song concepts without any reference sounds or tracks--no instruments or music or humming, just talk about the music with your words. it will be a shit show of mutual unintelligibility unless you're all classically trained, in which case you might all have the terminology to understand each other, but the conversation would not really be interesting IMO to anyone who is not actively participating in it
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 750x740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 750x740
>>63164742
Wow Claire is really smart girl I wonder what is her IQ probably between 120-140. Here's another one of her quotes.
>>
>"Slowdive are literally worse than Hitler"
by Richey James Edwards
>>
>>63165306

Where did I say at all that an artist owes an interviewer anything? Quote me.

You're misreading me.
>>
File: the beatles 6.png (911 KB, 1282x914) Image search: [Google]
the beatles 6.png
911 KB, 1282x914
>>
>>63164742
I don't believe she said that.
>>
File: charles mingus.gif (62 KB, 500x416) Image search: [Google]
charles mingus.gif
62 KB, 500x416
>>
File: 1449959406474.jpg (64 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1449959406474.jpg
64 KB, 850x400
>>
File: 1289u32982.jpg (45 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1289u32982.jpg
45 KB, 800x800
>>
"They told me I couldn't make my guitar sound like a building collapsing. They were wrong." -Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
>>
>>63166744
more like this, nice dubs btw
>>
>>63165976
Diggin this one
>>
Can someone find me that FKA Twigs quote about lady gaga and how twigs is on some cool "hipster" shit. Blow it up against a backdrop to smear.
>>
>>63164742
fucking hell sounds like a fucking idiot. If someone said that to me the very first thing I would think is that they must be a fucking hack as producer.
>>
>>63164814

>It's how people attribute her more as a female than as a musician.
>They look at her gender first and foremost, where with men it's just a "default" and they look past that.

Who does what? I'm getting sick of this 'if people say/do x about some girl that's because she's a girl'. I don't believe the vast majority of people gives a fuck about an artist being male or female while judging that artist's music.

Now, for sure, people might prefer male or female voices because they sound different. But I don't really care if the producer or the drummer is a girl or not.

>Like a news article will focus on what she wore to a concert than how she performed.

That's because she wears weird stuff, not because she's a girl. And the visual aspects of a concert are part of the performance.

I'm pretty sure people writte about what the guy from Die Antwoord wears to concerts as well.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.