[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
march 8th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: hanna-306-1378408387.jpg (98 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
hanna-306-1378408387.jpg
98 KB, 306x306
ITT: music by women for women. or by man for women.

Do you have a favorite female musician? pic related
>>
Yea

Lisa Germano
Cat power
Joanna newsom
mary margaret o'hara
Edith frost
Heather duby
Julia holter
Shannon wright
Julianna barwick
juliana hatfield
Sara Lund

Just to name a few
>>
File: .jpg (227 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
227 KB, 683x1024
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNVlyUigrk
>>
>Antony Hegarty

but also

Nico
Laura Nyro
Lisa Gerrard
Terre Thaemlitz
Elysia Crampton
Fatima Al-Quadiri
Lio
Tujiko Noriko
Luzmila Carpio
Dionne Warwick
Chlotilde
Julee Cruise
Ronnie Spector
Dusty Springfield
Yma Sumac
Ike Reiko
Meiko Kaijji
Judee Sill
>>
>>63158025
I recognize nearly no one on that list. Congratulations.
>>
File: natalie 13.png (188 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
natalie 13.png
188 KB, 500x376
From current faves:
>pic related
>Hilary Hahn
>Emika
>Bjork
>Janine Jansen
>Maria Callas
>the list goes on

>>63158025
>Ike Reiko
lmao. I should relisten to her album. Check out Miki Sawaguchi for the patrician JAV pop star.
>>
File: col1.jpg (218 KB, 448x596) Image search: [Google]
col1.jpg
218 KB, 448x596
>Do you have a favorite female musician?
yes
colleen kinsella, of big blood/fire on fire/cerberus shoal/some other stuff

i also love lisa germano, jenny hval, bianca casady, grouper, nico, kate bush, dawn mccarthy, marissa nadler, the list just goes on and on

>>63158036
most of them are quite bad honestly
most of the ones i recognize, anyway, which admittedly is only like half of them, but still

>>63158088
is that natalie rose lebrecht
i've been meaning to go back and relisten to warraw, i listened to it once several years ago and it just seemed like an insubstantial soupy mess of half-baked ideas, but people i actually respect have recently told me that its the kind of album that rewards repeated listens
>>
>>63158189
>i've been meaning to go back and relisten to warraw, i listened to it once several years ago and it just seemed like an insubstantial soupy mess of half-baked ideas, but people i actually respect have recently told me that its the kind of album that rewards repeated listens
It clicked for me instantly and was one of the most notable musical discoveries during a certain 3-year music dry spell. I suggest going to some other Natalie album and giving Warraw a try eventually. Try Daymares And Nightdreams or Imagining Weather before returning to Warraw.
>>
>>63158189
>
Are you telling me someone on /mu/ would just go and list obscure artists and ignore their actual talent?

I am shocked.
>>
Gotta admit, I never actively sought out musicians from a particular gender, ethnicity, country or whatever but when I look at my favourite artists, about 90-95% are male. Not because women are worse by any means, but they just seem less numerous except in pop music.

Lately I've been enjoying the work of:

Mette Henriette (ECM jazz)
Aurora Halal (techno)
Jana Winderen (field recordings)
Isnaj Dui (electroacoustic)
Sarah Davachi (drone)
Éliane Radigue (drone)
Julia Holter (chamber pop)
Jun Togawa (not sure what genre she is, "art pop"?)
Grimes (pop)
Cibo Matto (shibuya-kei with some trip-hop influence)
>>
Miss Bork and Chan Marshall
>>
>>63158189
>>63158320
>artists I don't know are bad
>artists I don't like are talentless
sure buddy
>>
File: petecampbell[1].jpg (29 KB, 461x343) Image search: [Google]
petecampbell[1].jpg
29 KB, 461x343
>>63158341
>Not because women are worse by any means
>>
>>63158591
yeah man you're totally right, nobody on /mu/ has ever heard of dionne warwick
or ronnie spector
or dusty springfield
or lisa gerrard
or laura nyro
or judee sill
those aren't well-known names at all you've totally out-obscured all of us

no but in all seriousness, what kind of argument is that
>>
U.S. Girls
>>
st.vincent
grimes
joanna robertson
that noise chick Pharmakon even though she is a fraud.
jenny hval
inga copeland
liz phair
yoko ono
jana winderen
>>
>>63158591

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>63156928
I'm an Alpha male FCJ.

And girls want to fuck alpha males. Let it piss you off as much as you want, but you know it's completely true. That girl you like who is kinda cute in a weird way, but is totally sweet and you have the biggest crush on? The one who keeps going back to guys who treat her wrong for reasons you don't understand? The one who calls you up at 1 am to cry about how her boyfriend hasn't called her in 3 days, and no matter how long you listen to her, she'll never think of you as anything other than asexual? The one who will curl up next to you on the couch, hug you close, kiss you on the cheek, and never let you fucking touch her beyond that?

Yeah, I'm fucking her.

The hot girl who won't even look at you when you nod at them and smile? The one who laughs when you trip in the hallway and drop your stuff? The one who comes up and coyly asks for your help with her homework, and then pretends you don't exist once you finish?

Yeah, I'm fucking her too, even harder.

The geeky girl you think might be enough like you that you have a chance with her? She plays warcraft on your server, and watches anime, and reads comics? She's so incredible and you just love her so much but you still haven't worked up the courage to tell her how you feel about her?

Guess who just sucked me off and told me they'll always love me?
>>
>>63160555
>the light of internet pop culture reaches
lmfao. Interesting pasta.
>>
>>63156928
SJWs pls
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.