[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone listen to Jambands on /mu/? Anyone see any good bands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: jonfishman1.jpg (39 KB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
jonfishman1.jpg
39 KB, 400x307
Does anyone listen to Jambands on /mu/? Anyone see any good bands or listen to them?
Along the lines of Phish, Snarky Puppy, STS9, Widespread Panic, Lettuce, Tea Leaf Green, Vulfpek, Ween?
>>
Jam bands piss me off. They seems to be the definition of shallow.
>>
Twiddle, Dispatch, Rubblebucket and Lettuce are pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCZjie3QVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjoFGlgxFas
>>
>>63138307
How? Playing a concert is a group experience and jam bands have some tight and excited crowds.
>>
>>63138324
Yeah Twiddle is always a fun time. I remember stumbling into a rubblebucket show a few years ago and really enjoying it
>>
File: VistaPoint.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
VistaPoint.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
YAWNING MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4e5ySJVNic
>>
>>63138307
I could see how they could piss someone off, but I'm trying to figure out the whole shallow thing.
>>
>>63138391
Rubblebucket got me into jam bands when I stumbled to a show on my campus stoned out of my mind for 4/20.
>>
>>63138134
I've listened to a couple of Snarky Puppy live performances. It's a cool experience, but not a thing I do a lot.
>>
>>63138391
Soil and the Sun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBBx6exD7ow
>>
>>63138456
Good stuff man!
>>63138443
Yeah never seen them live yet, but I find myself listening to their live sets more and more. They're coming to chicago in a few weeks, so hopefully I can see them then.
>>
>>63138134
There hasn't been a great jam band since Phish really. Most of the new ones try to sound like Phish.
>>
>>63138583
I'm glad you like it man, this one is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg9Vd-TDxoo
>>
>>63138351
jam bands are mostly indulgent. they don't play to the crowd, they play for themselves. solos overstay their welcome, grooves are usually tired, and they either favor technicality over songwriting or just the wankery of improvisation over arriving at anything worthwhile.

hippies are stupid so jam bands get away with it. it literally just sounds good while fucked up
>>
>>63138663
>jam bands are mostly indulgent.
The same logic could be applied to jazz as well as other genres of music, so this argument makes no sense.
>>
>>63138663
1. People who go to jam band shows know what they're in for
2. If you actually played in a band you'd know that jamming on songs is more natural to do then strict beginnings and endings
3. "wanking and improvisation" is called doing a live show where you're not a human group jukebox and you actually play as a band to show your skills.

Just don't go to shows with jam bands if you don't like their style, that doesn't make them selfish, it means you don't get it.

I hope you don't think you have some kind of elite music taste because what you have said is the epitome of basic bitch.
>>
>>63138663
Wouldn't you rather a band play around and experiment rather than playing to the crowds? I sorta understand where you are coming from, but at the same time I would rather see a band go on the stage and try to do something they have never tried before, instead of playing a cookie cutter set.
I think the draw for the dumb hippies is that there are no two shows alike. Unlike most bands that are in and out, giving you an abbreviated version of their top hits.
I won't deny that their are a lot of stupid, fucked up people that go to these shows, but by in large, most of the people I have talked to are music nerds and like to see genuine creativity and improvisation on the stage.
>>
>>63138631
This was filmed pretty close by my house!
>>
>>63138758
>People who go to jam band shows know what they're in for
yeah, cause they're mindless idiots who go to get high or got lucky enough to attend a post-rock or electronica band that has jam elements

>If you actually played in a band you'd know that jamming on songs is more natural to do then strict beginnings and endings
I have played in 3 bands and while jamming feels good, it offers nothing I actually want to give to an audience. In fact, it gets tiresome by the time you're a talented enough musician to make a real song in your spare time.

>"wanking and improvisation" is called doing a live show where you're not a human group jukebox and you actually play as a band to show your skills.
so they should play at a talent show, not call themselves musical artists. it's on the same tier as people that can paint a mona lisa in 20 seconds or drum on buckets at street festivals
>>
Check out earthless
They're some psych-stoner rock trio with some really good grooves and soloing
>>
String Cheese Incident are pretty good
>>
File: mhmm.jpg (16 KB, 268x280) Image search: [Google]
mhmm.jpg
16 KB, 268x280
>>63138910
>this is what non-musicians actually believe
>>
>>63138684
jazz appreciates form. its meanderings aren't nonsensical, they arrive and shift. jam bands are the opposite, they're almost unintentionally predictable by being "unpredictable." time for a solo, time for an interlude, time for a crescendo...
>>
>>63139120
This makes no sense. You're just trying to justify liking jazz, but hating jam bands because MUH DIRTY HIPPIES.
Jazz uses similar forms. The great players follow crescendo forms all the time. Example: Wayne Shorter's solo on Aja.
>>
Motorpsycho has great jams live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ywzo5Gc-E
>>
>>63139279
that's jazz rock. note how it sounds different than Moe or Umphrey's McGee
>>
File: 1410196068788.png (9 KB, 576x544) Image search: [Google]
1410196068788.png
9 KB, 576x544
>>63139425
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.