[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the front half of this so boring? It's just these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg (64 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg
64 KB, 300x300
Why is the front half of this so boring? It's just these vast, empty medium-high tempo bland pop band soundscapes with nothing interesting to hear and not any realistically danceable tempos. The second half has easily discernible song structures, and generally doesn't sound as unforgivably without variation throughout each song. Nothing happens in the first three tracks, they sound exactly the same at the end as they did in the beginning, you could listen to 15 seconds of it and basically have heard each song. The second half is still kinda like that, but at least they give you things to listen to.
>>
i take it you're a virgin OP?
>>
>>63136683
0/10 bait
>>
>>63136714
you're actually joking, right
>>
>>63136683
>not any realistically danceable tempos
Drunk and high me would beg to differ OP, parties have gone from everyone lounging around to everyone up dancing within a minute of the first track being on
>>
>>63136750
well i'll admit, i guess i really only meant that about tracks 2 and 3, but yeah the point is that to me danceability is like the last bastion for musical appeal, and so I really don't hear anything in those two tracks that one might find appealing. what do people hear in them?
>>
Maybe it isn't meant to be danced to. Is that you're meter for the merit of music? If you can dance to it? This must be bait
>>
>>63136849
I guess its the hypnotic rhythms that I love, the constantly building intensity. The melodies interlock brilliantly. I'd say track 2 is the weakest for me on the first side, but its still stellar, track 3 is the ultimate climax, the gradual rise in speed from 1 and 2.
>>
>>63136903
no
>>63136849
i don't even like much dancey music, the point is that I don't see anything else good in it, so the way i figure is that people must like it because it's easy to dance to. i mean, thats pretty much how pop music works, nobody listens to katy perry or drake because it's interesting, they listen to it because it makes them want to dance
>>
>>63136683
Wait, what? Do you mean back end? The first three songs increase in tempo and are the most "danceable" on the album.

I have the opposite opinion. I love the way the album is paced, it builds over the first three songs and then slowly mellows out afterwards. The only improvement I can think of is if the tempo picked up again towards the end but it kinda tapers off too much.
>>
File: SpongeBab.png (219 KB, 500x547) Image search: [Google]
SpongeBab.png
219 KB, 500x547
>>63136683
If you don't find the first 5 tracks of this album danceable at all there's something wrong with you.
>>
>>63136958
It's not pop (in the genre sense, not in the classification sense), it's new wave, post punk, art punk etc. And there's a lot of good btw.
>>
>>63137021
not him, but I used to agree with you. Now I think Seen and Not Seen is the best track on the record, its the perfect mix of the frantic funk it starts with, and the downtempo end. those keyboards make me MOIST
>>
Why is the front half of this so OPINIONS? It's just these OPINIONS with OPINIONS and OPINIONS. The second half has OPINIONS, and generally OPINIONS. OPINIONS happen in the first three tracks, they sound OPINIONS, you could listen to 15 seconds of it and basically have OPINIONS. The second half s still kinda like that, but at least they give you OPINIONS.
>>
>>63136958
>"people must like it because it's easy to dance to. i mean, thats how pop music works"

>this is actually OP's assessment

If you're going to call one of the 20th century's most important albums "boring" I would expect you to at least know what genre it is ffs

>>63137136
>le zany shapeshifting lyrics

..put me off that track a little bit. I much prefer the existential cry of "AND YOU MAY ASK YOURSELF.."
>>
>>63137186
>>le zany shapeshifting lyrics
Why would that put you off? Its just an absurd look on how we try to mould ourself to society. The lyrics are inconsequential
>>
>>63137257
in the sense that on a certified 10/10 record I have to start nitpicking. Cool lyrics but I get into the other lyrics more
>>
>>63137283
Thats fair enough.

My personal least favourite is Houses in Motion, its a little too busy, no particular rhythm is accented. the instrumental breaks are cool though
>>
>>63136958
Not trying to be a dick, but just a little tip: I used to engage with music in a shallow way like that as well. Now I research, give multiple listens to, think carefully about and critically listen to albums, and I enjoy music so much more. It's the only way you'll be able to develop genuinely considered opinions, that opinion is a train wreck
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.