[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Pet Sounds and SMiLE the only Beach Boys albums worth listening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: the_beach_boys_884_497[1].jpg (97 KB, 884x497) Image search: [Google]
the_beach_boys_884_497[1].jpg
97 KB, 884x497
Are Pet Sounds and SMiLE the only Beach Boys albums worth listening to?
>>
those aren't the beach boys
>>
>>63133985
it's the beach MEN
>>
>>63133985
that doesn't answer my question you fucking idiot get out of this thread immediately
>>
>>63133973
No, every album '65-'71 is worth listening to. But only those
>inb4 Love You
The synthesizers suck dick and Brian sounds like a toad on the songs he sings
>>
>>63133973
Friends is a masterpiece. It's on the level of magical mystery tour if not better. Surf's Up and Today are pretty great too.
>>
>>63134041
>makes meme thread
>expects serious answers

Fuck off
>>
>>63133999
>Brian wanted to rename them The Beach
>Mike wouldn't let him
Imagine if they had been the Beach Boys and then released SMiLE as The Beach in 1967, would've been legendary
>>
>>63134083
is this true? got sources up? first time i'm hearing bout this.
>>
>>63134092
>In early 1969, Brian proposed that the group change their name from "the Beach Boys" to "the Beach", reasoning that the band members were now grown men. Going to the effort of acquiring a contract that would declare a five-way agreement to officially rename the group, Stephen Desper reported, "They all just kind of shrugged and said, 'Aw, come on, Brian, we don't wanna do that. That's how the public knows us, man. And that was it. He put the paper on the piano and it stayed there until I picked it up and took it away."

Wikipedia cited from Catch a Wave by Peter Carlin
>>
Surfs up is arguably my favorite
>>
>>63134121
poor brian... everyone were dismissing his ideas. I wish he was just a bit stronger mentally to leave them to become a solo artist. That way he could've done whatever he wanted without those meddling kids (boys). Just imagine Brian leaving the beach boys after pet sounds to make goat solo albums. fuck that would've been good.
>>
>>63134048
Holland bitch thats a great album. also fuck you Love You is great and you know it
>>
>>63133973
GOD-TIER
Pet Sounds
Smile Sessions
Summer in Paradise

GREAT-TIER
Sunflower
Today!
Surf's Up
Smiley Smile
Friends
Summer Days and Summer Nights

GOOD-TIER
Wild Honey
Love You
20/20
Holland
All Summer Long

everything else is not really worth listening to
>>
Is this the right tracklisting? It felt very disjointed.
>>
>>63134152
I thought everyone was supportive of what he was doing.
>>
File: 1404821385604.png (110 KB, 562x1302) Image search: [Google]
1404821385604.png
110 KB, 562x1302
>>63134497
>>
>>63135657
Not in SMiLE
>>
>>63134140
The lyrics are atrocious.
>>
Everything from 62-78 is worth listening to eventually.
>>
>>63136127
THERE'S A RIOOOOOT GOING ONNNNNNN *WEWEWEWEWEWEWEW*
>>
>>63136127
The lyrics are ok senpai
>>
>>63134497
this a serious answer to a non-serious post

i'd only switch Wild Honey and Friends but this is p accurate
>>
>>63133973
>tfw you want to listen to their other stuff but you're scared you'll just be further disappointed after realising Pet Sounds has nothing on the Smile Sessions.
>>
>>63136127
get out mike
>>
File: image.png (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
14 KB, 500x500
>>63133985
>>
>>63134497
this, although there are good songs scattered throughout the other albums
>>
File: Surf's_Up_Score.jpg (64 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Surf's_Up_Score.jpg
64 KB, 350x350
>>63133973

>Surf's up is their best album
>All summer long
>Surfin USA

Also I don't recognize anyone from that picture? I think that guy in the glasses is from the beegees but I can't be sure.
>>
>>63139294
your shitty joke is not funny retard
>>
>>63139458

But your spazzy reply is 10/10 right bro
>>
>>63135918
idk what u tryna say here
>>
Surf rock beach boys is pretty good tier beach boys faggots

I love surfer girl, surfin' usa and even surfin' safari at times

but yeah: pet sounds, smiley smile, smile tapes, friends and even 20/20 are god tier
>>
I listened to Pet Sounds a few weeks ago and I can't get enough of it. It's just so good. But I've tried listening to Smile a few times and I really couldn't get into it. What's wrong with me?
>>
>>63134083
I always dream of a parallel universe where that happened and SMiLE became one of the most important albums ever
>>63134152
As a fellow musician I feel so much pity for him, that his perhaps most important project never became what is was meant to and lack of support from his band. I feel more sad about that than the time I lost 22 mins of music I've been working on
>>
>>63134497
This but Surf's Up god tier for me and I haven't heard Summer in Paradise
>>
>>63143071
Summer in Paradise is the best album since old boots new dirt
>>
Summer Days and Summer Nights, along with Sunflower are often overlooked gems. So is A Beach Boys Party, even though it really wasn't recorded in somebody's living room, like the listener is lead to believe. (And the re-issue deleted all the "Party" sounds in between songs) And if you can find a singles collection, get that. The 45 version of Be True to Your School is great. (Especially if you're a Green Bay Packers fan)
>>
>>63136127
take a load of your feet, PETE
>>
>>63134083
Wouldn't have guessed brian was such a bitch..
>>
>>63143025
Fuck, man. Losing that much material is harsh. I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel though, like, Smile blows my mind now, imagine how people would have reacted back then, at the peak of 'psych-pop'. I don't think it can be understated how much of a cultural loss that was for the sessions to go unreleased.

>>63142072
For whatever reason, I felt the same about Smile when I first heard it. In fact, I left it for a year before deciding to bother spinning it again, now it's easily one of my favourite of all time, like, without being too autistic about it, I rank it higher than I'd previously ranked Pet Sounds.
>>
>>63142072
Smile makes look Pet Sounds like a beatles album.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.