[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
for the people out there who's favorite album is trout mask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (2 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1136x640
for the people out there who's favorite album is trout mask replica, 10/10, A+, Ect.
I have a question for you.
Why?
>>
It's his best album
>>
>>63133173
Why?
>>
Not my #1 favorite album anymore, but was for quite some time, and the main reasons are (in no particular order):
-its a great example that American rock does not have to be made for the radio
-great, groundbreaking production
-excellent lyricism masked behind silly titles
-one of the greatest exmaples of "authentic" music, meaning there was no attempt for harmonies, melodies, or any traditional music structures, making it feel very organic juxtaposed against a lot of manufactured pop-rock groups of the 1960s that were trying to steal some radio time from the Beatles.
-complex to the point of insanity, where you wonder if these guys know how to play music at all, but then you quickly get reminded of its glory
-a great example of a band taking influence from many different musical genres and art styles at the time and melding them very well (combining rock with folk, what would be known as psychedelic music, free jazz, avant garde jazz, with spoken word poetics and beatnik styled writings)
-its also a really fun album. You can tell that Beefheart, Zappa, and his band were having fun a lot of the time and it reflects in the music.
-Ive discovered something new every time I listened to it, which helps it feel like a fresh album even after 50 or 60 listens.
>>
>>63133184
Dadaism n shit
>>
>>63133271
>You can tell that Beefheart, Zappa, and his band were having fun a lot of the time and it reflects in the music
Didn't Beefheart force them to play for him or something like that? I agree with everything else
>>
>>63133301
I doubt the people at the studio would allow someone to be held against their will to play music
>>
Beefheart is a dick
When I was a kid
I thought he was black
>>
>>63133301
>>63133318
You know how you might have cried about having to go to kindergarten the first day but you might have had a good time even though you were forced to be there? I imagine it would be like that if someone enjoyed going to school for the magic band
>>
>>63133336
nice poem
>>
>>63133341
Shut up
HOBO CHAMMMM BABBABABABABA
>>
>>63133318
Look it up, the Wikipedia page for the album talks about it
>>
Zappa fell asleep in the studio while trout mask was being recorded
>>
>>63133318

He allegedly drudged his band mates and physically assault them if they would make mistakes
>>
Trout Mask Replica is a monumental experiment in irregularity and an impressive catalog of vocal acrobatics. Raucousness, gargling, heavy breathing, whispering, falsetto, etc. are needed in order to dismantle the art of singing and transform it in a degraded emission of beastly verses. The dominant instrument is the clarinet that pops up everywhere in a "hit and run" guerrilla mode.
The overall meaning of the pandemonium in Trout Mask Replica is not only playfulness, or the negation of a meaning. The allegorical messages of Van Vliet's masterpiece are multiple, hidden by layers of abstractions that allow a cosmic-metaphysical interpretation, despite the author's pretense of illiteracy. These interpretations redirect the listener toward a form of apology for madness, to the primordial stages, and to chaos, counterposed against the monolithic order of technocratic society.
Beefheart uses the Delta blues as a pretext, but dismembers its structure, rhythm, harmony, tonality and melody, and then reassembles the pieces randomly, injecting it with free-jazz and casual improvisation.
The work is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing , vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms.
>>
>>63134150
Is this scruff
>>
>>63133648
>physically assault them if they would make mistakes
>mistakes
how did they even make it out alive?
>>
>>63134318
I want captains bee fizz jizz in my mouth
>>
>>63133169
cause Scaruffi said so
>>
>>63133169
i dont know. if youre into this wacky rhythmed offbeat weirdo shit i would think you would go for lick my decals off baby instead. its definately much tighter instrument-wise. also beefheart actually did the vocal overdubs with headphones this time so the vox are tighter too.

also listen to dancing in your head by ornette coleman if you like this kind of strange shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23QVY94tAj0
>>
>>63133648
the story i heard is that don threw john french down the stairs when they got in an argument. presumably because john french was fed up with transcribing hours of beefhearts personal demo tape into songs and threatened to leave. don got pissed and threw him down the stairs.

those guys were there because they wanted to be there. no one forces you to spend six-months in a cabin in the woods rehearsing 40 some odd minutes of overtly complex music. those guys were there because they wanted to be a part of it
>>
>>63135646
>40 odd minutes
That album is 78 minutes long, anon
>>
>>63135718
my mistake i forgot that one was a double.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.