[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This nigga plays no instrument, yet is more talented than most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (563 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
563 KB, 1136x640
This nigga plays no instrument, yet is more talented than most bands out there
How does that work?
>>
>>63132811
He mumbles stupid shit about his grandma washing his ass overtop of beats produced by other people using samples created by people who has the basic ability to play an instrument.

And you think he's "talented", basically you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>63132811
this mentality is exactly why he gets bandwagoned all the fucking time. I could make a killer rap album if I had the money to hire pfunk and flylo to do my instrumentals
>>
>>63132839
What wrong about grandma whipping your ass?
>>
>>63132839
/thread
>>
>>63132839
>white person detected
>>
>>63132859
Go back to your Twitter memes f.a.m
>>
>>63132890
Your post is a meme
>>
>>63132811

because his approach to music humble and sincere + original
>>
>>63132909
Your reply is a meme
>>
>>63132931
Fuck you
>>
>>63132928
Kek
>>
>>63132890
>>63132909
>>63132931
>>63132950
wew lads
>>
>>63132950
Not in the mood right now, maybe later.
>>
>>63132811
Its called having great producers.

I mean, he's a great poet and has great flow, but if it weren't for the production on his albums I probably wouldn't listen to him.
>>
>>63132968
But I love you.....
>>
because knowing how to play an instrument and having talent have zero correlation
>>
>>63132969
>great poet

His lyrics are fucking stupid shit.

>great flow

He mumbles like a retard.
>>
>>63132845
i bet you can't rap though

and if you can, i bet kendrick would run rings around you

and we haven't even gotten into the whole writing lyrics part yet
>>
>>63132989
gr8 b8 m8 take it to a youtube comment section not here thx
>>
>>63132989
>Reply
lmao rap is crap am i rite more like retards attempting poetry lmao
>>
>>63133042
Some rap is amazing brilliant stuff, some other hip hop is just fun bangers. Kendrick is bottom of the barrel shit.
>>
>>63133050
please enlighten me, what hiphop records would you recommend?
>>
>>63133062
Anything that isn't Kendrick is a step up.
>>
>>63133096
lmao ok, obv you dont know wtf youre talking about. Get back to me when youve actually listened to some hip hop
>>
>>63133096
Atleast pick somthing For your bait.
>>
>>63133096
Lel
>>
>>63132811
Talent does not equal being able to play an instrument, being able to play an instrument is just being skilled and for talented people a way of expressing their talent. Being good at playing an instrument doesn't make you a good artist and vice versa. An instrument is nothing more than a way of expressing your artistic talent, like a pen for a writer or a brush for a painter, but if you don't have any, your playing will remain soulless. Talent exists independently of the ability to use an instrument. I believe there are a lot of people that have the artistic predetermination, but go completely unnoticed because they have no means of expressing their artistry.

Modern album making is imho very comparable to filmmaking. A director has to hire a whole fucking army to realize his vision, yet in the end it is still his vision, even if he is not directly responsible for the cinematography, the camera, the mise-en-scene, etc. Yet looking at a director's filmography, one often notices a certain style that makes the film the director's film.
Kendrick is a good example for that, he does not play an instrument, and his rapping skills are not the best, although they are really good, which he proved with UU. Kendrick worked with an army of producers and instrumentalists on TPaB, yet he is the one that decides who he wants to work with and tells them what he wants of them. He may not play all the instruments, but the ideas and concepts are his, and that makes the album essentially his.
>>
>>63132845
Kendrick wasn't always famous, he worked himself up. If it really is that simple then you have no excuse for not having released the 4th best received album of all time yet.
>>
Kendrick is literally boo boo.
>>
>>63132811
I don't understand how people can shit on someone for "talking fast" over actual musicians and then turn around and listen to Slint or Gil-Scott Heron

Speaking of which, I don't think Kendrick has reached his full potential yet, but I love the idea of him utilizing his voice as an instrument and basically being the image of the classic "funk frontman"
>>
>>63134568

>Modern album making is imho very comparable to filmmaking. A director has to hire a whole fucking army to realize his vision

If you think this, you have no idea how music works. If someone needs to hire a small army of people to come up with the drivel Kendrick and his contemporaries are putting out, that's fucking sad.
>>
>>63135464
>Slint

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think they played their own instruments.
>>
>>63135508
I know, but Brian only does the vocal parts live, and everyone seems fine with that
He can't play the guitar and do the spoken word at the same time
>>
>>63135484
Nice counter arguments.
>>
>>63132969
yet an unmastered album of sparse jazz samples gets critically acclaimed
>>
>>63135535
I guess the argument might be that he had an equal part in arranging the music as the others (or at least it seemed that way in the documentary). I don't know how involved Kendrick is in the production of his albums, but I could see someone criticising him for relegating all the 'real' work to his producers.
>>
>>63135484
It's just a different way of making music, not better nor less than other ways, just different. Besides, being a musician and being an artist are two different notions. Many famous musicians are far from being good artists, take ACDC for example, they are all good skilled musicians, but their music today sounds exactly the same as the music they made 30 years ago.
Kendrick is the creative mind behind his projects, he knows what he wants the music to sound like, so he gets someone to play it. That is not sad, there is just no other way of making his music.
>>
>>63132811
Because Kendrick's talent is in writing hard hitting rap lyrics.
>>
t. Rock fan
>>
>>63135622
That could be said, I guess, but given how involved he is during many performances, as well as how much seeming creative control he has, I doubt that the producers are the ones doing the only "real work"
>>
>>63135658
this is why the "high art" criticism of kanye is not bullshit.

all flylo needs is a computer and a bassist to realize his vision. but is flylo high art? kendrick sounds better with an entire army of people around him. that's in part because of precedents like MBDTF. the storytelling of kendrick has precedents of Stankonia. the instrumentation has precedents of Tribe.

Kendrick's making really forward-looking stuff by making a new thing out of old things. sure, you can make great art with a rapper and a guy on a laptop. but kendrick doesn't do that, so why does it matter what he does when his influences and goals are so clearly defined?
>>
>>63132859
If you need to be black to understand an album it means it's an end in itself and doesn’t deserve to be listened
>>
>>63136227
if you can't understand an album it means you shouldn't be posting in a thread about it
>>
>>63132839
I fucking hate rockism
>>
>>63132839
One day this is going to end up in a cringe thread.
>>
>>63136603
I fucking hate people with shit taste

>>63135658
>but their music today sounds exactly the same as the music they made 30 years ago.
no it doesn't fuckhead.
>>
>>63136749
>no it doesn't fuckhead.

There's only so many ways you can play an instrument. Sampling is the way forward
>>
>>63132839
His talent is primarily based on vocal skills and emotional delivery of his lyrics though
>>
File: 1452817244259.jpg (25 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
1452817244259.jpg
25 KB, 575x323
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_cBEP4PEg
>comes with written to freestyle battle
>>
>>63136783
>Sampling is the way forward

>come back to /mu/
>see comments this incredibly retarded
>leave and never come back
>>
>>63136887
See you later :^)
>>
>>63136783

>Sampling is the way forward

Yes, but hip-hop "producer"'s usage of sampling certainly isn't
>>
>>63136922
>I have never listened to madlib
>I have never listened to DJ shadow
lol
>>
>>63133062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvheiYH1L4
now sit down son
>>
>>63136783
Over glorified 'pressing play' is now considered moving forward. What the fuck is wrong is Millennials?
>>
>>63136749
>no it doesn't fuckhead.
Sorry but Rock n Roll train sounds like a song they could have come up with for one of their first albums.
>>
>>63136783
>>63136749
>if the artist isn't playing live instruments that means all music is bad

Get a load of these hotheads
>>
>>63137194
>millennials
People have been doing this since the mid-80s
>>
>>63136843
Lmao so true. Heard this verse like 3 times
>>
>>63137578

You mean when music started its death spiral??
>>
>>63136783
Sampling was the way forward 30 years ago. What's the ACTUAL way forward?
>>
File: 981651.jpg (47 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
981651.jpg
47 KB, 366x488
This nigga played no instrument, yet was more talented than most bands out there.

How does that work?
>>
>>63137608
Oh boy. Buddy the Dadrock is was cool but you don't have to cling on so hard
>>
>>63137618
OP's just retarded ignore him. But he had a more creative mind than Chart Topping rock artists
>>
>>63137627

I don't even give a fuck about "dadrock", music has just been getting objectively worse for the last 30 years. The kind of lyrics that are in the mainstream have gotten measurably dumber. The variation in dynamics and chords and melodies and harmonies has decreased. The average listener doesn't even understand what music is anymore.
>>
>guaranteedreplies.gif
>>
>>63137663
>The kind of lyrics that are in the mainstream have gotten measurably dumber.

That's why you listen to Hip Hop for dem deep lyrics. You don't get deep lyrics in dadrock shit.
>>
>>63137663
Lol you realize you don't make any sense. How can "chords and melodies" get dumber, that's nonsensical drivel.

And you don't need to "understand" music to enjoy it, don't get all pretentious with Music Theory and all that garbage.

I would agree the masses are dumb and flock to any top40 chart topping songs they care more about popularity than actual craft. That's how labels like it nowadays
>>
>>63137805
>>63137663
correction
>variations in dynamics, chords, melodies and harmonies have decreased*

A change in sound doesn't mean it's "worse" like what if in 40 years we're using longer chords does that mean we're getting smarter or something?
>>
>>63137663
be honest, how new are you
>>
>>63137663
I feel dumber after reading this.
>>
>>63137805

Chords and melodies get dumber by being less interesting. Watered down. Using simple chord progressions with simple chords. I'm not saying everything needs to be Giant Steps, but holy shit most pop music is literally 3 major chords. Hip hop is usually one.

>>63137832

>using longer chords
...longer...chords?
>>
>>63137987
>3 chords
>only music today
>>
>the voice is not an instrument
>>
>>63138140

The voice isn't used primarily as a melodic instrument in rap. It's more like a snare drum, which gets really fucking old.
>>
>>63133062
Endtroducing, Liquid Swords, the Money store, MBDTF, It takes a nation of millions, clouddead
>>
>>63138237
u 4got donuts mt man
>>
>>63132811
Because he has a good ear, good ideas and a coherent vision. Anyone can learn to play guitar, it's not necessarily harder than rapping. Beyond that you have to actually be creative to make music, and learning an instrument won't make you creative.
>>
>>63138435
The truth.
>>
All ya niggas bo bo
>>
>>63132811
different kind of talent how many great pianist can't write a half decent song to save their life
>>
File: V7WxR.jpg (43 KB, 600x544) Image search: [Google]
V7WxR.jpg
43 KB, 600x544
>>63134568
>>63135658
>>63136100
Just want to say thank you for making smart well thought out remarks that help me to clarify my thoughts I had in my head. Today mu was not shit
>>
Thanks for being the only one that's not replying like an asshole, i agree with you>>63134568
>>
>>63139101
Thanks, people like you are why I post here. Discussions on /mu/ are never really about convincing someone else, I just post because I hope that someone is lurking that gains something from my points.
>>
OP here
Is everybody friends?:)
>>
>>63139525
Yes, Kendrick taught us how. :)
>>
>>63132989
so is no one gonna talk about his rhyme schemes,
his word play,
his ability to collaborate with a vast variety with different artists (i.e it takes skill to deal with other artists' bullshit, don't you fucking tell me it doesn't),
his ability to perform live, and how his performances are directed?
his on-air freestyles,
his use of philosophy on his background appealing to youth culture,
voice inflection, in addition to the multitude of flows he's used over the years,
his ear for good production, and his albums consistently displaying experimentation?

honestly he's not my favorite artist but goddamn, you must be so brilliant that you expect people to pay you off before you actually use your fucking brain before you make statements
>>
>>63134568
Filmmaking=Composition

Actually Kendrick with Flylo at the studio
>is this beat good enough, Kendrick?
>no, less white stupid nigga
>>
>>63139767
Meanwhile Inarritu and Lubezki on the set
>This take good enough Alejandro?
>No make it longer amigo
>>
File: UH OH.png (14 KB, 652x158) Image search: [Google]
UH OH.png
14 KB, 652x158
it's happening
it's happening
>>
>>63139702
not the guy you responded too but I just want to say I am pretty musically illiterate I like things but often don't have the ability to express why I think someone is good or bad
>>
File: 1407977375994.jpg (72 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1407977375994.jpg
72 KB, 305x196
>>63139922
>metacritic
>>
>>63139946
it's tied with Blackstar at an 84 on AOTY too
Kendrick 2stronk
>>
>>63139976
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he released that collab project with J.cole this year as well as a victory lap.
>>
>>63140039
J Cole is garbage, so Kendrick will be dragged down by him.
>>
>>63140061
Honestly? lyrically he's not too great.
But over J.cole beats Kendrick could do some really good slow jams
>>
>>63139946
>metacritic

i agree. just about every album gets a good average. it's completely useless/meaningless for music.
>>
>>63140094
>aggregates of all critics are meaningless
>relying on a single source for how good a record is
>>
>>63140094
Those type of sites are useless because uneducated 14yr olds can come and rate an album based solely off of hype and word of mouth rather than form their own opinion.
>>
Posting what I posted in similiar thread because I think it's correct and people don't understand it.

He probably knows a bit how to work a keyboard. Maybe not very skillfully but I imagine he knows a bit. But being a good instrumentalist doesn't says much about writing ability because as long as you have creativity, vision, and a good hear you are set to write good music. Many composers (such as stravinsky and wagner) weren't very good instrumentalists either. Being a musician is MUCH MUCH more than being an instrumentalist.
>>
Simply because majority of casuals enjoy listening to the Top 40 hits because they want to feel cultured and cool and into the newest song-memes rather than finding music that they actually like or even taking music seriously
>>
>>63140124
That's why you look at the aggregates of what critics rank something and not the user score.
>>
I agree that you can't judge hip hop the same way as other genres, and there are lots of really talented rappers. But this thread and threads like it are just fucking pathetic. The arguments of literally everyone defending Kendrick in this thread can be summed up to: "originality is a stupid, rockist, white people idea", "music theory is a supid, rockist, white people idea" and "innovation is a stupid, rockist, white people idea".
I agree that Kendrick Lamar is an artistic genius, but no, he is not on par with classical composers, because he's involved in only a fraction of his final product - none of which requires vast technical understanding of music, and really hasn't done anything that hasn't been done before. The only counterarguments any of you guys can think of, aside from making ignorant, ad-hominem driven remarks, is that innovation, technical ability, intellectual ability, originality, and sometimes even creative ability are unnecessary and are considered only by "musical elitists" who are too involved in other genres and can't understand hip hop. That's stupid, and you're stupid.
Once again, I have nothing against hip hop in and of itself, but this anti-intellectual culture it creates is nauseating.
>>
>>63140459
I bet you think Music Theory is mandatory to enjoy music.
>>
>>63140848
>>63140459
Want to point out I don't even think Kendrick is good but the people saying things like sampling in hiphop isn't original can neck themselves. that's like saying if you use one of 3 chords another band has used then it's not original
>>
He does play instruments you idiot
>>
>>63140848
I'd bet you thought that was a clever retort and that you weren't just proving my point again
>>
File: giphy.gif (1 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1 MB, 384x216
THIS DICK AINT FREEEE
>>
>>63132811
Obviously he's not talentless, but >more talented than most bands out there?
come on senpai i hope you don't actually believe that
>>
Rap stars are like pop stars. A bunch of rich people got in a room, and chose the next guy they wanted to throw money at to make more money.

Suddenly 100 people are working on this album, and Kendrick has to come in once in a while and rap.
>>
>>63140956
On any of his songs, you retard.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.