[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What age should you grow out of music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: Turny on the wheels of steel.jpg (116 KB, 1150x595) Image search: [Google]
Turny on the wheels of steel.jpg
116 KB, 1150x595
What age should you grow out of music?
>>
im 77 and still havent
>>
38, foad
>>
>>
late 20's
earlier if you actually make music
>>
Never. If you love music you should never stop your journey of discovery. However at 40 you are no longer expected to keep up with what is new and trendy. Your path is entirely your own and by then your peers have done all they can to show you how to find new music.

Never out grow music.
To do so would be to say that every moment you spent with music was nothing more than masturbating over someone else's life rather than learning from it.

Never out grow music, Anon.
>>
Late 20s, music becomes boring as fuck if you've been listening for years. Soundtracks are always good though as they remind me of the show/movie/game they're from.
>>
You can't. You can stop liking music, but you can't grow out it. You can't mature beyond the most universal form of art, created and shared by every culture. You don't move beyond it. You don't reach the surface and break away. You just don't like it anymore.
>>
Is it just me or is there a very huge double standard between music and movies?

everyone looks at me like I have ten fucking heads when I tell them I follow new releases but no one would bat an eye if I saw a couple dozen movies that came out this year

unfortunately it seems like the majority of music fans are absolutely fucking obsessed with their special snowflake genre bullshit but as I recall from movie fan communities the genre obsessed fans are in the minority like horror buffs. Sure people have their preferences but weirdos who have a gigantic collection of 100% only horror films are in the fringe whereas if someone has a gigantic collection of 100% punk or whatever no one bats an eye

and on and on

Is it just me? there is some weird huge and seemingly very arbitrary double standard.
>>
>>63132306
oh yeah thats the other one the very topic of this thread

has anyone ever even fucking asked this question of movies? seems bizarre right?
>>
>People take this question seriously
Kek
>>
>>63132402
ok but do you not feel a double standard between music and movies?
>>
>>63132393
Yeah

People don't seem to have a problem with comedies, or films that don't take themselves too seriously, but for some reason self-aware, or comedy music is off-limits. Why does music have to be so serious all the time?
>>
>>63132422
ah interesting good point. I'm certainly not immune to the double standards. I have to admit I kinda turn my nose up to it and certainly dont seek it out. However in my defense I dont seek anything out. I try to hear anything that comes my way but I can't say I gave weird al's newest one much of a chance. That was two years ago though so I like to think I've changed some.
>>
I know this may sound crazy but

music is very ancient and I mean literally

think about that. I'm talking weird fucking babylonian shit and even older like much older.

I think someone feels threatened by it and I'm pretty damn sure there's a long history of that.

maybe I just listen to too much metal
>>
>>63132468
*and not even just history but the context. the entrenched context

religious context
>>
uh oh guys I just thought of something

and it aint good

What does music do?
>>
>>63132217
Elliott Carter wrote his last work when he was 111 years old so I'd say never
>>
>>63132661
shit, meant 103 years
>>
Swap vidya for music at 12yo
Swap music for literature at 21yo
>>
>>63132626
if you're asking after the purpose of art you need to think a lot more friend

just lock yourself in a room for a week and keep asking yourself why things are the way they are, and when you think you have come up with an answer, ask yourself why that is the case, and then when you have come up with a validation, ask yourself why it validates it, and so on

do this until you have a headache
>>
>>63132930
>not listening to patrician instrumentals while reading ancient babylonian papyrus scrolls
i shiggy
>>
>>63132958
no its a riddle

What is something that music is famous for doing?
>>
>>63132976
making music
>>
>>63133023
i mean making other people make music
>>
>>63132964
>reading scrolls
>not clay tablets written in a lanugage humans have forgotten
shiggy
>>
>>63133023
no that would be musicians

I'll give you a hint. It's related to why "someone" might feel threatened by music much more than by movies.
>>
>>63133035
dance?
protest?
perform?
>>
I'm 38 and still haven't. If anything, my tastes get more and more diverse as time goes by. Though I still have trouble getting into jazz.
>>
>>63133045
close

and I think those certainly do qualify especially dance because of how music is different from movies.
>>
>>63133035
cause it tries to appeal to youth or what
>>
>>63133060
be loud
>>
>>63133063
>>63133069
no dance is closer although those are definitely not incorrect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Congreve#Famous_lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV64ogkkwmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nLiys-TqY
>>
>>63132422
Because decades of marketing have made music all about the artistic statements of a tortured soul and all that crap. Just see how negatively rock critics react to happy music nowadays. It's just marketing brainwashing everyone.
>>
>>63133063
and after watching the last video I posted this was an interesting coincidence and also you may even be more right than I am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin

I dont know whats going on but I've been suspicious for awhile
>>
>>63133116
*oh shit and I didnt even realize it applies to the explorers clip too
>>
>>63132271
I already don't keep up with what's new and trendy. I just search for music that interests me. If it happens to be new, so be it, but IDC.
>>
>>63133104
>brainwashing
which reminds me of another effect music can have which unrelated to this was said earlier yesterday on one of those sunday morning mee the press shows sorry I forgot this guys name

"You cannot reason someone out of something he or she was not reasoned into."

although apparently that guy just stole the fucking quote although maybe thats common knowledge.
>>
>>63133181
apparently Jonathan Swift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Swift
>>
>>63133181
Jesus shut the fuck up kid
Your pseudo logic is fucking painful to read, you're not a genius for being able to correlate things
>>
>>63133204
ok fine I'll just leave with one last thing

movies have more importance to youth than music does because of verbal language. music does not require that. If someone is threatened more by music than movies then its because of this. the ability to communicate without language.
>>
>>63132217
Like others have said you shouldn't grow out of listening to music, but I do think there comes a time when it is acceptable to stop searching for new things and instead cut down the diamond so to speak.
>>
File: IMG_8154.png (456 KB, 542x458) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8154.png
456 KB, 542x458
>>63133225
>>
>>63132217
Never, bitch. Stop being ageist, it's just as bad as racism.
>>
>>63132217
Fuck music, it's just a fucking waste of time. I only come here for Jason Aldean anymore.
>>
is this /r/music
>>
>>63133639
/r/music worships music, people here are at least trying to take control of their lives and not just sucking Dave Grohl's dick
>>
>>63132930
kys
>>
>>63132217
Whatever age you are when there's no music you like made by people older than you.
>>
>>63132217
Who is Turny? I can't find shit on Discogs.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.