[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
6 degrees of eno
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4
File: delete.png (114 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
delete.png
114 KB, 500x502
Post an artist who was active in the 60s-70s-80s and others try to figure out how many collaborations/connections it takes to get to Brian Eno.

an easy example:
anon 1: Beatles
anon 2: lennon made "fame" with Bowie, who made the Berlin Trilogy with Eno.
>>
Hawkwind
>>
>>63128262
op btfo'd
>>
>>63128262
Lemmy also played for Motorhead, who toured with Alice Cooper, who worked with Zappa in his early years. Adrian Belew played for Zappa and Bowie. Bowie collaborated with Eno.

I'm sure there are other routes, this is just the first one that came to mind.
>>
>>63128262
Nik Turner worked with Psychic TV, whose Peter Christopherson was one of the 3 main dudes on Hipgnosis, which designed the first 3 peter gabriel albums, on which Robert Fripp plays guitar, and he made a bunch of shit with Eno
>>
Giorgio Moderer
>>
Big Star
>>
Kanye West
>>
>>63128428
Giorgio Moroder worked with Bowie on cat people, bowie made outside 8^y
>>
the shadow ring
>>
>>63128475
Kanye worked with Paul, who was in the beatles with john, who wrote fame with Bowie who worked with Eno
>>
Marc Almond
>>
Beach Boys
>>
Nick Drake
>>
>>63128606
That's an easy one. John Cale did instrumentation on Bryter Layter, and Cale has worked with Eno.
>>
>>63128441
Big Star's debut featured Terry Manning on electric keyboard, who engineered Led Zeppelin III. John Paul Jones made a song for Eno's Music for Films III.
>>
Hmmm I'm curious about Todd Rundgren?
>>
Big Bank Hank
>>
>>63128734
Eno worked Bowie's album Lodger, which also featured Roger Powell on synthesizer. Powell was previously in Rundgren's band Utopia
>>
>>63128734
he produced XTC's Skylarking. XTC's Drums and Wires was produced by Steve Lillywhite, who produced U2's first 3 albums. Eno produced U2's Joshua Tree.
>>
6 degrees of brian eno aka 5 degrees of david bowie
>>
>>63128962
Bowie has a lot connected to him but Eno has even more, plus the connection to Bowie. For example, prince only has 3 degrees of Eno-separation, maybe less.
(Prince was on an album with Kate Bush, who was on Peter Gabriel's So, which was co-produced by Daniel Lanois, who co-produced Joshua Tree with Eno)
>>
>>63128253
Lee Morgam
>>
>>63128253
>Mozart heavily influenced Wagner
>Wagner heavily influenced Pratella
>Pratella was a member of the futurist movement and was a friend of Russolo
>Russolo wrote the Art of Noises and invented the synthesizer
>Brian Eno uses a synthesizer

7 degrees
>>
Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship
>>
Damo Suzuki
>>
>>63128253
Caravan
>>
Trey Azagthoth
>>
Is this just one guy answering all these? Because if so you are seriously fucking knowledgeable.
>>
>>63129585
Richard Sinclair was a member of Caravan, as well as other Canterbury scene band Hatfield & the North. He also appeared on the Camel album Rain Dances, which also featured musician Mel Collins. Collins played saxophone and flute on the King Crimson album In the Wake of Poseidon, which obviously featured Robert Fripp as well. Fripp has collaborated with Eno on several occasions
>>63129684
Nope, I'm also here
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Captain Beyond
>>
>>63128253
Mayhem
>>
T. Rex
(hard mode: no bowie connection)
>>
>>63130083
Electric Warrior features Ian McDonald (on saxophone), who was also a member of King Crimson in its first lineup. Every King Crimson album features Robert Fripp, who has collaborated with Eno
>>
Death In June
>>
David Byrne
>>
>>63129561
Curious about this
>>
>>63129561
Can's drummer, Jaki Liebezeit, also served as Eno's drummer on Before and After Science.
>>
In case you need help from Ozzy:
http://static.echonest.com/SixDegreesOfBlackSabbath/
>>
R.E.M.
>>
>>63128962
>>63129246
talking heads, u2, probably even coldplay if you wanna connect to modern pop and radio shite
>>
>>63130159
Death in June often feature David Tibet, who's also worked with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Flood, the producer of several Bad Seeds albums, also worked on U2's Achtung Baby alongside Brian Eno.
>>
>>63130517
Sorry, meant to say just Nick Cave. Tibet hasn't been involved in any Bad Seeds albums.
>>
>>63130457
Patti Smith provided vocals for one of rem's singles in the 90s. Horses was produced by Cale, who collaborated with Eno on several things
>>
>>63130526
I love both of them and Cave was probably the best part of All The Pretty Little Horses
>>
>>63129449
>pleb fell for the Russolo meme
>>
Mike Patton was in Naked City with Fred Frith, who worked on Before and After Science with Eno

Captain Beefheart's drummer John French was in French Frith Kaiser Thompson with Fred Frith who worked with Eno on Before and After Science

Mike Watt has done a few albums with Nels Cline who's played with Fred Frith who's worked with Eno

Miles Davis's second great quintet included Tony Williams, who played in Arcana with Bill Laswell, whos band Material featured Eno on the album One Down
>>
good thread OP
>>
OP you think you are smart? You're just using that one website where you can put up two bands and it looks up the connections exactly like this
>>
Les Rallizes Denudes
>>
Nickelback
>>
Big Moe
>>
>>63132510
Les Rallizes Denudes are from Japan
I want to see Brian Eno in Denudes
>>
Black Sabbath.
>>
>>63132500
post the website i lost it
>>
>>63132510
Les Rallizes Denudes performed with Keiji Haino, who recorded with legendary guitarist Derek Bailey. Bailey has performed with Fred Frith, who played on Eno's Before and After Science

>>63132523
Nickelback's Silver Side Up was produced by Rick Parashar, who also produced the Temple of the Dog self-titled, a band formed by Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, who's guitarist Kim Thayle contributed guitar work to the Sunn O))) track Blood Swamp, while Sunn O))) have had guest violin from Petra Haden, who has colaborated heavily with guitarist Bill Frisell, who worked with Brian Eno on Paul Simon's album Surprise

>>63132545
Black Sabbath featured drummer Terry Chimes of the band the Clash, who performed Rock the Casbah with Brian Eno in a benefit concert

this shit is too easy

>>63132529
no idea what big moe is but lets try

Big Moe was featured with Three Six Mafia, whose member Juicy Jay featured Justin Timberlake on the song the Woods. Justin's 20/20 Experience was engineered by Jimmy Douglas who also worked on Hall & Oates Abandoned Luncheonette, while the pop duo's Sacred Songs was produced by Brian Eno
>>
Rush
>>
>>63128253
Good thread Opie.
>>
I dont enjoy Eno works on music and production.. :/
>>
>>63132755
Rush's album Feedback was produced by David Leonard, who produced K.D. Lang's album Feedback. K.D. Lang performed on Jane Silbery's album When I Was a Boy, which was produced by Brian Eno
>>
>>63130980
Bill Laswell is cheating
>>
Pavement
>>
File: Crass02.jpg (97 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Crass02.jpg
97 KB, 1024x768
Challenging but I'm pretty sure it's possible.
>>
>>63132731
Impressive.

Do 2pac
>>
Jedward
>>
Sleaford Mods
>>
>>63128253
Morbid Angel
>>
>>63132778
No offence but you're probably kind of a shit person then

>>63128253
Good thread OP
>>
>>63132925
Pavement's album Terror Twilight was produced by Nigel Godrich, best known for his work with Radiohead, who wrote the song Lucky on Brian Eno's behest for the Help album

>>63132982
Crass' Feeding of the 500 album was engineered by John Loder, who also worked on PJ Harvey's Rid of Me. PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love was produced by Mark Ellis, who worked on u2's the Joshua Tree with Brian Eno

>>63132992
Tupac at one point had a professional relationship with Biggie, whos album Born Again was produced by Ben H Allen, who also worked with Animal Collective on Merriweather Post Pavilion. AnCo's album Feels featured viola work from Eyvind Kang, who's played in a bunch of Bill Frisell's groups, and Bill worked with Eno on that Paul Simon album
>>
Current 93
>>
>>63133185
Christoph Heemann has performed electronic effects on a few C93 albums, and has also colaborated with Keiji Haino, who played with Derek Bailey who played with Fred Frith who played on Eno's B&AS
>>
Bad Company
>>
>>63133172
>Tupac at one point had a professional relationship with Biggie, whos album Born Again was produced by Ben H Allen, who also worked with Animal Collective on Merriweather Post Pavilion. AnCo's album Feels featured viola work from Eyvind Kang, who's played in a bunch of Bill Frisell's groups, and Bill worked with Eno on that Paul Simon album
Breddy gud
>>
How the fuck do you do that? Google? That takes some special sperg powers.
>>
Jamie xx
>>
Bryan Ferry
>>
>>63133947
That's easy. Bad Co's original lineup had one of King Crimson's bass players. Robert Fripp made (no pussyfooting) with Eno.
>>
>>63133021
I would try to find a connection to Metallica and from there it's a cakewalk (Bob Rock -> someone Brit -> Eno). Gene Hoglan might be a good direction too.
>>
>>63134166
it's about half prior knowledge, half Wikipedia. As long as you know most of the connections Eno has already it's not hard to make a crack at an artist even if you've never heard of them.
>>
Arca
>>
I knew Eno's influence is extensive but goddamn dude this is blowing my mind
>>
>>63130380
thats cool to know. ill have to check that out, i love jaki. he is a perfect example of exquisite german engineering
>>
David Bowie
>>
>>63128253
This is the coolest thread I've seen in a long time. OP and whoever is answering these questions, keep on doing you, you're amazing.
>>
Grateful Dead
>>
Skylar Spence/Saint Pepsi
>inb4 the Madeon Pop Culture connection with like 50 artists
>>
Brian Eno
>>
Joey Beltram
>>
>>63135545
thats easy, they're both on warp (record label)
>>
blue oyster cult
>>
Aunt Sally

if you can do this op i will find you and suck your dick
>>
>>63128475
Chris Martin is on Homecoming, Chris Martin/Coldplay worked with Eno on Viva La Vida
>>
>>63135720
using a record label, especially a major one, is kind of cheating.

i can't find an actual route that easy though. I don't know enough about 90s electronic to make the connections
>>
>>63135856
this one is actually kind of easy. Their lead singer Phew's first solo album featured Jaki Liebezeit and several other members of CAN. Jaki did drums on Before and After Science.
>>
Neu!
>>
>>63135946
can you use samples?
>>
File: cover.jpg (482 KB, 931x931) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
482 KB, 931x931
Danny Ben Israel
>>
Scott Walker
>>
>>63135946
its me again i think i found an actual route
joey beltram sampled led zeppelin's whole lotta love on "the omen", led zeppelin's john paul jones was featured on brian eno's album "music for films III"
>>
>>63128400
Adrian Belew also played on Talking Heads - Remain In Light, which was produced by Eno.

Also, did members of Devo work with the Residents at one point? If not, I want to see someone make the connection between the Residents and Eno.
>>
>>63135848
Patti Smith is credited as a songwriter on some BÖC albums, and even as a vocalist on one or two occasions. Patti Smith's first album, Horses, was produced by John Cale, who in turn had an album produced by Eno
>>
>>63136138
I would say no, but it might be necessary for some EDM artists that never had real connections outside their scene (this is why OP said active in the 60s-70s-80s: in the 90s and later things got a lot more scene-ified). It's not as much cheating as using a major label though.
The point of "6 degrees" is to find actual connections between people. Zappa knew Alice Cooper and they worked together through Zappa's label even though on paper they never collaborated. This is an actual connection.
If, say, someone just covered a song by Eno, this wouldn't be a connection, because they may have never even met each other.
>>
>>63136208
Mark Mothersbaugh and the Residents both made music for Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

if that doesn't count, then Snakefinger, who worked with the Residents, had one of Beefheart's Magic Band in his band. Zappa produced for Beefheart, Belew played for Zappa and Talking Heads, Eno produced for Talking Heads and DEVO.

There's probably a shorter path, but this is the first i thought of.
>>
ABBA
>>
>>63135514
damn...
>>
>>63129246
>Prince was also directly influenced by Bowie in his aesthetic and probably at least some of his musical style, so it's arguably one degree of difference.
>>
>>63136719
>Brian Eno worked with Genesis on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
>Phil Collins from Genesis produced Frida's solo album Something's Going On.
>Frida was a member of Abba.
>>
>>63138555
We're not counting influence, we're counting interaction. Did prince ever actually do anything with Bowie?
>>
Neutral Milk Hotel
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.