[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yeah, the horrible truth about Ambient 1: Music for Airports,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: ambient 1.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ambient 1.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
Yeah, the horrible truth about Ambient 1: Music for Airports, one that no one wants to talk about, is that it's pleasant, in the worst way possible. I mean, pleasant, the same way handjobs given from an inexperienced girl who has never seen the equipment or is unused to moving her hands in a certain way is pleasant, because its better than nothing. This is certainly a step above John Cage's "4'33" (oh, man, he did not go there) but why listen to Ambient 1: Music for Airports when you can listen to anything else at all is beyond me. Why settle for a clumsy handjob when you can have the world?

So because people think that Ambient 1: Music for Airports is the first ambient record, it has been romanticized to the moon and back (and nothing beats romance like the moon. That thing's been following the Earth since it formed and it's been too scared of rejection to get cozier and too scared of loneliness to leave). For those who've come to believe that this is the first ambient release--it's not! I mean his own Discreet Music, that little oddball that no one likes talking about, came three years before this. The only reason this one gets a little more attention is because that one wasn't named Ambient 0: Music for Hospitals, which is essentially what it was. And this one wouldn't even work in an airtport, which is normally so busy you wouldn't be able to hear ambient music, or else so dead that you'd rather listen to anything else. Another thing, have you seen these track titles? I mean, do you ever get together with your friends and say things like, "Man, do you like Brian Eno?" "Sure, I like Brian Eno." "What's your favorite Brian Eno song?" "Oh, I gotta say it's probably '1/1.'" "Really? I much prefer '1/2.'" You guys will sound absolutely nuts, I tell you.
>>
But for all the negative things I have to say about Ambient 1: Music for Airports, remember that I did say it's "pleasant" in my opening thesis. I think that "1/1" places somewhere in the best 5 melodies Brian Eno has ever concocted, and that one miraculously manages to swing past, despite being 16:30 in length (longer still, if you're holding a CD version of the album. What's that? 16 minutes wasn't long enough for you? Have thirty seconds of additional silence, because that's just how we roll). Unfortunately, none of the rest of these tracks come close to touching "1/1"'s melody, and without that to help them, every slow second is felt. "Death by a thousand cuts? Probably the worst way to die.

If Ambient 1: Music for Airports was released today, no one would even look at it, because 1) anyone with a bit of musical savvy could've created this and 2) ambient artists (well, most ambient artists. Eno is still living like it's the 70's) have the decency to end tracks when they've run their course, and not sadistic enough to loop them to pad out an album's worth.
>>
Filtered

Kill yourself tripfag
>>
Cool

Thanks for sharing
>>
I'll give it a listen
>>
my anus is prolapsed lmao
>>
File: 1457295282276.gif (178 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1457295282276.gif
178 KB, 400x400
>eno's face when
>>
ambient music was a mistake
>>
File: Fripp-Radiophonics.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Fripp-Radiophonics.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
His bud Fripp is better at ambient anyway
>>
File: k.jpg (3 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
3 KB, 150x150
>>
>>63122902
Eno actually did the loop tactic on "Thursday Afternoon"
>>
Ambient 2 is better but the pearl is the best
>>
>>63122902
>referring to a shitpost as a "thesis"

filtered
>>
>>63122888
>>63122902
More proof that marsbars' opinion is as relevant as any other RYM reviewer
>>
File: 1409432425883.gif (1019 KB, 265x260) Image search: [Google]
1409432425883.gif
1019 KB, 265x260
>>63122888
>>
ITT: people who don't realize this is a RYM review
>>
Ambient 2 > Ambient 1
>>
>>63125133

No one gives a shit about RYM users
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.