[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys i'm going crazy trying to find a moment on a GY!BE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: cst024hires.jpg (182 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
cst024hires.jpg
182 KB, 900x900
Guys i'm going crazy trying to find a moment on a GY!BE track. could've sworn it was on Yanqui UXO but could be wrong. anyways, it's like a quiet moment and then a sample of some children playing some playground game or singing some nursery rhyme fades in, and after a while the drums come in really loudly all of a sudden together with a guitar melody in a big climax. been skipping through pretty much all tracks but cant find it.

pls halp. and also GY!BE general I guess
>>
It's the last track of Skinny Fists.
>>
https://youtu.be/NivY_iRdSBQ?t=2m45s
>>
thanks guys. good shit
>>
>>63120865
whats the most accessible gybe album guys
I've like a lot of similar music but their albums are kinda daunting
>>
>>63121575
Skinny Fists
>>
>>63121575
Everyone says skinny fists, but in my opinion, the best place to start is with the Slow Riot EP. It's the shortest, so the least daunting for ya. If you like 'Moya', go listen to LYSF, if you like BBFIII go listen to F#A#
>>
>>63121596 here
>>63121626
this guy is probably right
>>
>>63121596
>>63121626
>>63121653
thanks mates, will probably start with the ep since it's easier to digest.
>>
I'm such an awful GYBE fan...I love Inifinity and Yanqui UXO. Two of my personal favorite records.
I also enjoy Skinny, just not as much as the others.
I still haven't heard to the their ep's and those last two albums post-hiatus. What should i ear 1st?
>>
>>63121789
Slow Riot
>>
>>63121789
Slow riot and then their newest album
>>
>>63121575
I don't know if it counts, but Slow Riot
>>
>the government is one systematic... Is one systematic government that that that no one can trust. I don't trust 'em myself.
What'd he mean by this?
>>
"Attention...Mon Ami...Fa-Lala-Lala-La-La..." [55-St. Laurent]
>>
>>63121626
This is 100% true.
>>
any similar bands?
>>
>>63120865
Am I wrong in thinking that F# A# is the best album they've ever released? Skinny Fists just doesn't do it for me like it does.
>>
>>63123078
I agree
>>
>>63121722
>>63121653
>>63121626
Someone was polite on /mu/ and gave good recs and no one called anyone a faggot or contrarian shit poster. MARK THE CALENDERS
>>
>>63122891
clones, but they suck
>>
>>63123078
Different strokes... I prefer Skinny Fists by a pretty good margin, it's always felt more complete/well-rounded to me whereas F# seems more one-dimensional, but I still enjoy F# and could see why someone might prefer it. Still, if I could only listen to one album by them it would be Skinny Fists
>>
>>63123616
I'm listening to Skinny Fists again right now because it's been awhile since I truly gave it a good listen but I still listen to F# pretty regularly
>>
File: godspeed flow chart.png (258 KB, 1508x1234) Image search: [Google]
godspeed flow chart.png
258 KB, 1508x1234
Hey guys, seeing as we were in general agreement on my rec to OP here >>63121626

I turned it into a flow chart. Any suggestions/modifications?
>>
>>63121575
If you're still here, I made you a chart >>63123739
>>
>>63123078
I liked LYSF the most at first, but the more I delved into post-rock, the less interested I became in crescendo-core and the more I looked for albums that were abstract, experimental and interesting in other ways, so I started to lean over to F# because it's so sample heavy and mood-oriented. In my heart I still think LYSF is the best, though.
>>
>>63123782
I certainly am, thanks so much man, saved
>>
>>63123855
Yeah the darkness of it is what draws me to it. It sounds like walking down a city street in the rain. As someone who has always been partial to sad music, its much better to me. Skinny Fists might be better musically but F# is such a good atmospheric album.

Do you know of anything similar to it?
>>
set fire to flames
>>
>>63123946
I'm drawn to darker music, as well. Sadly, I don't know anything that hits the spot as sweetly as F#A# does, but if you're willing to go A L L T H E W A Y then Sing Reigns Rebuilder is the next logical step in terms of darkness and abstractness, if you haven't already listened to Set Fire To Flames. It's quite a challenging listen but the atmosphere of their albums is addictive and very dark.

In terms of sad/moody post-rock, Dirty Three are amazing as well. It has the same melancholy/scratchy violin vibe as F#.
>>
>>63123855
Lol, I'm the opposite. Started with F#A# and loved it for what it was then I got into their crescendo-core stuff and was blown away but still think F#A# is the best in my heart :3

Also Mladic is a masterpiece.
>>
>>63124023
GOAT Godspeed side project. Telegraphs / Mouths is some of the best experimental sonic work as applied to guitar music I've ever heard.
>>
>>63124059
I've also never actually listened to Soundtracks for the Blind but i've heard comparisons. Is it similar in any way?
>>
>>63124090
it's alot more varied but there are tracks that sound kinda similar to Godspeed tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOc1Gnu18I
>>
>>63124069
Better or worse than their first? I listened to them both a number of times but I always confuse them in my mind and can't figure out which I prefer
>>
>>63124152
Better. Way better.
>>
>>63124170
Are you able to explain how so? I'm just curious. They sound very similar to me.
>>
File: kentridge-complainta.jpg (23 KB, 376x279) Image search: [Google]
kentridge-complainta.jpg
23 KB, 376x279
>>63124214
Found a thread of me discussing the album with some other anons in the archive. Copying and pasting fragments if my replies.

It's like all of these vague impressions and muses that Moya and company were working towards with Sings Reign Rebuilder came together in the most beautiful and cathartic way I could possibly imagine with Telegraphs/Mouths. It's equally contingent as it is varied as it is cathartic. Ultimate 10/10 from me.

They're very similar indeed, but I feel like Telegraphs/Mouths is more conducive to an album format to listen to beginning to end as opposed to a crazed, schizophrenic collage of textures and found sounds. I like Rebuilder but I absolutely love Telegraphs.
>>
>>63124336
Interesting. I think I was too quick to judge them as two sides of the same coin. I'll have to set aside some time to figure out how I feel about them individually. I fucking love musique concrete, though, so I instinctively have a soft spot for both of them. There's something about environmental and natural sounds out of their material context that just makes my imagination run wild. I love it. I found SFTF particularly challenging though, they have some very abrasive tracks that are kind of like nails on a blackboard at times.
>>
File: download_20151008_100215.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
download_20151008_100215.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>63124513
I concede that they do, but at the same time there's a very whole/mature emotional character from which the songwriting/composition took place on Telegraphs / Mouths that I detect so fiercely, I couldn't imagine the band being left with any other option than to call it quits. There's a very real sense of true beginning and true finality/closure in the themes it explores that I found intensely engaging on a first impression that just get stronger and stronger on repeated listens. All time favorite and very precious to me.

And good taste, fäm! I just posted a small handful of musique concrete recs over here >>63123506
Check em out, yo.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>63124795
Awesome, will cheq. Thanks for taking the time to explain there, you've made me excited to listen to those albums again.
>>
>>63124829
Sure thing!
>>
>>63123739
Not who you responded to, but thank you for introducing me to SFTF, that sounds interesting. Checking them out tonight
>>
>>63125750
No problem, hope you enjoy
>>
>>63123288
Surely a remarkable date
>>
Reminder that Asunder Sweet is the only reason why GYBE don't have a perfect discog
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.