[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Surfs Up is the greatest contribution to music in the 20th century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: beach-boys-smile-large1.jpg (472 KB, 700x709) Image search: [Google]
beach-boys-smile-large1.jpg
472 KB, 700x709
Surfs Up is the greatest contribution to music in the 20th century
Y/N?
"Carriage across the fog to step to lamp light cellar tune"

Thoughts on this master piece in general?
>>
'Til I Die is better
>>
>>63120761
Best pop album ever made
>>
>>63120761
Does anyone have a lossy link to this?
>>
>>63121095
One of the best albums ever made period
>>
>>63120761
the music hall, a costly bow
>holocaust
>>
>not A Day In The Life of a Tree
>>
No, but Heros and Villains is
>>
All the lyrics on this album are pure cringe. Its pure psychedelic babble, Animal Collective has better lyrics than this.
>>
File: bw-1976.jpg (18 KB, 344x300) Image search: [Google]
bw-1976.jpg
18 KB, 344x300
>>63120761
>The final coda contained an additional line, that was written but removed at the last minute by Brian.
Had it been included it would've finally brought to head the struggles the wilsons had with their abusive dad. The fade out even leaves enough room for the extra line should Brian decide to have it recorded in.

The children's song, can you listen as they play?
Their song is love, and the children know the way.
The father's done, and the children carry on..

Damn that would've been amazing.
>>
>>63120761
>the greatest contribution to music in the 20th century
Good joke
>what is The Rite of Spring
>>
>>63120761
What do you feel when listening to surfs up? I recognize its compositional genius but don't always connect with the song.
>>
>>63121197
not OP but the first time I heard it I felt sad and distant, but Brian describes the song as uplifiting as positive, especially the final verses. I dont know what to think anymore, but the song leaves me with feels

the honky tonk 1967 version feels even sadder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3TRns_zssM
>>
>>63121276
I guess I get caught up on the lyrics, when focusing on the melody all the feels make more sense. It's been said a million times but he sings so innocently
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 620x400
>mfw my friends all say "Smile would have been good, but you have to admit Sgt Peppers was on a different level"
>>
>>63121197
Youve heard of Briand explanation right?
The first part is about the pretentiousness of the life of aristocracy, the emptiness. Then the guy in the opera house sees through it all and discovers children are not bemired by our assumptions and institutions
>>
Seriously, does anyone have a lossy link to this?
>>
>>63121533
all i have is FLAC V0 rips
>>
>>63121197
Confronting adulthood, or your time being up (surfs up!). high-culture and aristocracy (diamonds/music halls) being swept away (columnated ruins) by... psychedelics? maturity? i think the adulthood and maturity things fit with the whole Child Is Father Of The Man theme and the whole song cycle that starts with Wonderful on the finished versions of Smile.
But man, theres some dark and sobering imagery. i think its supposed to be like ego death and rebirth, like someone trying acid for the first time.
I've also heard that since Smile was like a psychedelic bike ride from east coast to west coast US, it's supposed to be the end of the line- you've reached california, its the 60s, what's farther out west than that? Water. Surf's Up. (cause Surf's Up was rumoured to be the last track)
Or maybe it's also an injoke on how it was originally supposed to signal them moving into serious music instead of throwaway surf-pop. Like Jimi Hendrix said later on at Monterey- "surf music is dead!"
>>
>>63121656
I think Surf's up as irony works better for the 1971 album.

I still think SU belongs as a closing track, like the SLN smile mix, instead of in the middle.

Closing the album on Good vibrations feels too forced and not typical of 1967
>>
>>63120761
That's like the lamest line in the song...
>>
>>63121743
What's so lame about it? What's your favorite?
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 1023x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 1023x319
>>63120761

All of these are better than smile
>>
>>63121197
"a children's song/have you listened as they play?/their song is love/and the children know the way"

It's ties in with the whole 'child is father to the man' motif and the recurring theme of innocence. Children are the purest souls and closest to God. They "know the way". Like a kid's smile has no pretense behind it, it's just pure unfiltered joy. the Romantics got pretty caught up on this idea in the 19th century I think.

I always felt that way but the first time I heard the idea expressed in good words was actually the first time I heard Surf's Up. I cried desu
>>
>>63120761
>"Carriage across the fog to step to lamp light cellar tune"
>to step
lol
>>
>>63121656
Sheesh I don't care for the album that much but what a description, made me want to go back and listen again
>>
>>63121656
Most of this post is revisionist history.
>>
>>63121752
Hand in (Hand, some) drum a long
to a (handsome) mannered baton

what >>63121109 said

Port adieu or die (do or die)

The glasses raised the fire roast
the fullness of the wine, the dim last toasting

But when he sings: Surfs Up, mhmm mhmm mhmm and one of my favourite cadences of all time: Culminated ruins Domino, my god
>>
he wasn't crazy, he knew exactly what he was doing. the los angeles wrecking crew members like carol kaye said he was one of the best musicians, songwriters, and studio producers they ever worked with. out of like the 100s of acts they recorded with....
>>
>>63121871
well shit man im just going off of what i read and research on the internet. i wanna learn as much as i can about this music
>>
How does one look for torrent links in the archive again?
>>
>>63122038
you could just ask me. I have them uploaded on mediafire
>>
>be obsessed with the beach boys when in highschool
>age a decade
>now only merzbow's venereology is soothing to my jaded nerves

becoming a tough motherfucker was worth the struggle, but sometimes i miss my beta highschool self
>>
>>63122141
Lossy?
>>
>>63122700

>MPQ SMiLE Mix
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1udcse9z5c0k7ho/Beach_Boys_-_Smile_(MQR).rar
>sln 12-track SMiLE Mix (Mono with indepth analysis)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kojmux6l076n0qb/Beach_Boys_-_Smile_%28reconstruction%29.rar
>full analysis of why this is the correct arrangement
http://pastebin.com/avc2i1TT
>stereo mix of sln
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r28otcvjee5kk1b/Stereo_mix.rar
>Brian Wilson Presents Smile
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uif1qlcpcixu0g/BWPS-mu.rar

Idk
>>
>>63122810
What's the difference between them?
>>
>>63122810
Thanks a lot familia
>>
>>63123068
MPQ is every smile-era song, even ones not on Smile directly

sln, is a revised edited version of Smile Sessions that makes it a standard 12 track 45minute LP. Insteresting to listen to

BWPS is the 2004 brian version
>>
>>63121163
Wow, this is really interesting. Is there a source on this though?
>>63122810
YOOOO thanks for the MPQ Mix
>>
>>63123542
Which one is the normal two-CD version?
>>
>>63125313
What?
>>
I listen to the mqr mix with the last bass note added back into He Gives Speeches with She's Going Bald added in right after
>>
>>63125313
I dont have the link for the Smile Sessions version

>>63125211
The source only goes as far as to say the line was written and removed.

IMO it should've been kept, but maybe Brian though it was too much of a jab at his father and not as pertinent in 1971 (when the line would've been heard for the first time, instead of 67)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTifX3mpnV4
"poetic, beautiful even in its obscurity, Surf’s Up is one aspect of new things happening in pop music today. As such, it is a symbol of the change many of these young musicians see in our future."- David Oppenheim on Surf's Up from a CBS news special on pop/rock music in December 1966
>>
guys, this is from a 1967 interview with Brian (i think the link to the original article is behind a paywall)
http://gloriousnoise.com/2011/brian-wilsons-annotated-surfs-up-lyrics
>>
>>63127048
2/2

>>63121505
i think this interview is the one you were talking about
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.