[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I like this album a lot. A lot of the critics panning it are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
I like this album a lot. A lot of the critics panning it are just flat wrong.
But I can't get into Floridada. It's just too. "Yipeeee! Silly wacky!!! XD XD"

Floridada sounds like it should be playing in a Chuck E Cheese game.
>>
All of Panda's songs on there are terrible and Avey's songs are okay to good, although most of them are still pretty corny. It's interesting that there are threads posted every day just consisting of the OP stating that he or she likes it. I think it shows denial in regards to how lackluster of a release it is.
>>
>>63112906
I think it's a good entry point for younger people
>>
>>63114071
A lot of the songs on Painting With sounded well in a live setting. Their harmonies were really on point and it really makes me appreciate the vocal interplay on the album. They also jam out each song more and had transitions between songs. The show made me appreciate the album more. I think the production was pretty lackluster on PW but the songs are good
>>
File: 1453771242917s.jpg (2 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
1453771242917s.jpg
2 KB, 125x93
I honestly liked this album more than MPP

feel free to shit on me and call me pleb
>>
>>63114303
Same m8
>>
>>63114071

Wow this is a dumb post
Let's look at the facts

>on of the most discussed bands on /mu/
>new album
>given average scores by p4k and melon
>these are the review sites that are most often brought up on /mu/

Fuckin no shit if someone enjoys the music theyre going to say they like it/disagree with these reviews

Seriously what is this logic
"OP says they like it, that just shows how in denial they are"
Fuck off with that idiotic statement

>>63114107
This. I've loved anco for years and until this album dropped I never really have been able to get any of my pals into anco as well. It's like MPP, in that it emplores mostly nice/pretty sound pallete. But MPP used a lot of repetition, this one is more to the point. None of the ideas stick around very long before they transition into something new
>>
This album is shit

/mu/'s initial reaction to it for like the first 2 days it leaked was fucking embarrassing. Literally calling it their best album ever, and that every song was amazing

So happy Cuckfork and Melonhead put em in their place
>>
its good, but probably their weakest album to date

Feels > Sung Tongs > MPP > Spirit > Campfire Songs > SJ > HCTI > Centepide > DM > PW
>>
>>63112906
>"Yipeeee! Silly wacky!!! XD XD"
and what's wrong with that m80
>>
>>63114303
Me too!
>>
>>63114071
It baffles me how people don't realize how terrible a songwriter Panda is.

Rosie Oh, for example

>You had opened up the door
>And made a place where I could sit inside
>And fortify

>But I said no I’d rather not
>Said no I’d rather not step in

>I'm on my own
>Now no ones been invested in
>How no one knows what's best for him

Esotericism in lyricism is a great thing, but in Panda's case, he's just singing something nobody would understand in a way so plain and boring that nobody would even care to.
>>
>>63112906
This album seems to represent my depression. I became depressed shortly before it came out and when the vinyl I had preordered back in December arrived at my house, I just felt like it was the embodiment of my depression in the form of an album. Everything about it - when it was released, the contents of the music, the fucking cover - just seemed to define where I was, and say, "This is where you are now. It's over for you."
>>
File: 1421393741392.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1421393741392.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
I think this album is receiving a lot of undue criticism because it's coming at the end of a highly prolific and varied career. A lot of people grew up on this music, and after a while, the feelings associated with the music grow obsolete, and the music falls too...

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/animal-collective-painting

This is a terrible review, for obvious reasons. But the feelings he describes are feelings many of AnCos listeners can sympathize with, I think. Which explains why Painting With is being held under a harsher lens.

For those in this thread who suggested a new listener of Anco spin this album first, I think that would be an interesting experiment.
>>
>>63114707
I got my brother who'd never heard AnCo before to listen to it. He likes it but said its "too catchy"
>>
>>63114774
A genuine criticism of Painting With is it's overproduced, saccharine sheen.

I'm guessing those who were indoctrinated with Strawberry Jam or MPP would kind of be used to that.
>>
>>63114479
>"he's just singing something nobody would understand"
>I don't get it, so it makes no sense

I'm just saying, dude. Reconsider.
>>
>>63114479
dude i'm reading this without really remembering how this sounded in the song

and it sounds really fucking great

there are some shit lyrics on painting with though from both john and paul
>>
>>63114479
Panda isn't shitty, he just peaked on Person Pitch and Merriweather and fell off pretty badly. He had stuff that was important to him that resonated despite how poor of a lyricist he is, and the music was transcendent.
The stuff from the MPP sessions was kind of the last hurrah for AnCo imo. They don't really know where to go with their music now because MPP was this statement of growing up, of maturity. I thought it was beautiful, but it's always been about wide-eyed childlike wonder with these guys, and now that they've grown up and moved away from each other and established independent lives, what do they have to write about?
>>
>>63115020
If you had any reading comprehension you'd know that isn't what I said at all.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.