[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some essential albums to get on vinyl? >inb4 get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1438911810830.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438911810830.gif
2 MB, 400x400
What are some essential albums to get on vinyl?

>inb4 get music you like

no shit nigger but what are some genres/albums that sound especially good on vinyl?
>>
shoegaze
>>
I don't know what you're talking about, OP. Everything sounds like shit on vinyl. It's just that sometimes they sound even shittier on cd
>>
>>63112895
Nothing sounds better on vinyl.

on 99% of consumer level sound systems, you cannot hear the difference between V0 VBR MP3 and vinyl.

Sorry, but you fell for the meme.

>nigger
fuck off
>>
>>63112895
It doesnt matter. Your setup probably isnt even good enough for you to hear the difference between vinyl and MP3 anyway. And you never know these days if a record you're buying was mastered for vinyl anyway. Just buy your favorite albums
>>
>>63112895
>inb4 get music you like
To bad nigher
>my list
Dark side of the moon
Spiderland
Any Beatles album
Blonde on blonde/highway 61
Kind of blue
Anything Anthony fantano rated above 8
>>
File: Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png
22 KB, 300x300
>>
>>63113051
is this a meme?
>>
>>63113072
You're a meme
>>
File: cute anime pic 0083.gif (62 KB, 247x345) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0083.gif
62 KB, 247x345
>>63112952
>>63112999
>Can't hear the surface noise and pops from dust that was present during pressing and on the disc as it plays
>>
>>63112895
Lana del rey, arctic monkeys
Check the Crosley bundles
>>
>>63113111
>caring about that
Kys
>>
>>63113111
>hearing pops and scratches means better audio quality

If you like to hear it fine, but is a preference. You revere that sound because of the vinyl=warm meme.

t. vinyl collector
>>
>>63112945
>>63112952
>>63112999
>being poor
>>
>>63113229
>being materialistic
>>
File: 1457094932853.jpg (30 KB, 439x392) Image search: [Google]
1457094932853.jpg
30 KB, 439x392
>>63113181
No one implied it was a good thing. They simply said you can't hear the difference between vinyl and mp3 files on poor equipment when in reality you can.

>t. vinyl collector
Kill yourself
>>
I'll never get people who exclusively listen to vinyl. My friend complains that "I can't listen to my favourite records because I left them at my dad's house".

He has Spotify but he insists on listening to vinyl because he thinks "it's how the artist wanted you to hear it".

I honestly can't stand flipping from A,B,C,D every 15-20 minutes either.

He's not even a hipster either.
>>
>>63113319
OP: "what are some genres/albums that sound especially good on vinyl?"

Me: "Nothing sounds better on vinyl."

You can only hear the difference if you have fucked up your own vinyl.
>>
File: Random_Access_Memories.jpg (21 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Random_Access_Memories.jpg
21 KB, 329x329
Definitive format

>also rip my D side :c
>>
>>63113444
No, because vinyl is fucked up out of the factory. First thing you notice when dropping a needle --even on expensive equipment-- is the hiss.
>>
>>63113522
This. Even on my my brand new from the shop records you hear crackling, popping and hissing.
>>
>>63113522
I havent used any truly upscale equipment to be honest. Ive used good consumer stantons and technics, but no audiophile quality gear.
>>
>>63113557
>>63113522
that's why you get older players with grounding cables
>>
>>63113623
Player is older than I am and I'm 21. It's my parents
>>
>>63113522
Vinyl is fucked by design. as inner grooves are much smaller than outer grooves, when the needle approaches the center, the audio progressively distorts.

There's virtually no scenario where vinyl sounds better than CD, barring some fucking cunt who consciously made separate masterings for the vinyl and CD pressings with the CD pressing being deliberately worse.
>>
If an album has differences, I'd be tempted to get it on vinyl. Stuff like F#A# (Infinity), Endtroducing..., Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, etc. The first two have different track orders than the CD releases, and the first and last have locked grooves at the end for an infinite loop of a sound.

If the packaging is cool, I'd also get it. Typically vinyl releases have a higher chance of having extra packaging stuff, like cool interactive-type covers (look at some of Led Zeppelin's releases).
The main thing I'd probably get would be bargain bin records so I could find new stuff to listen to. For the latest poptimist album there's really no point. CDs are capable of higher fidelity reproduction anyway, any differences you hear are either due to the specific vinyl setup someone has or the result of a different master, not the medium.
>>
>>63113456
>$30
Fuck that, especially when it's the same damn music and master.
>>
>>63113824
you're using shitty equipment man, i've never had this problem
>>
>>63113835
this guy gets it
theres nothing wrong with loving an antiquated medium, but you cant pretend its not obsolete.

I love having geogaddi on vinyl just for the fuckin stickers and bigass artwork.
>>
>>63113889
Personal bias, post purchase rationalisation.
>>
>>63113889
It isn't avoidable unless you have a linear tracking turntable, which nobody really does. You may not be able to hear the distortion, as it can be minimized, or set to occur during the middle of the record, but they don't play a side perfectly ever.
>>
>>63113889
No, you just didnt notice it because no one does unless they're using high end headphones powered by an equally high end amplifier, connected to a high quality turntable.
>>
>>63113930
Why thanks, friend.
For those curious about facts on the statement that CDs are capable of higher fidelity, read this (https://www.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html) and watch this (https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml). For those not familiar with Xiph, they're the open source guys that created FLAC and Ogg Vorbis
>>
>>63114008
finally someone who knows what they're talking about
>>
File: SDC10961.jpg (749 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
SDC10961.jpg
749 KB, 768x1024
>>63114106
>>63113889
>>63114008

Inner groove distortion is very real
>>
I mostly buy second hand records, and its quite fun to browse a record store. Also I quite like having a physical records, and then vinyl is better because they are larger and look better. But I agree that there is no point in being militant about it, mp3s (and spotify) is a great too.
>>
desu familia, people only buy vinyl because of the big cover art and that's perfectly fine
>>
>>63114569
/thread
>>
>>63113072
Yes
>>
>>63114057
this is quite interesting, so "cd quality" is still the best?
>>
So, which dac and or headphone amp do you guys use?
>>
>>63114723
Yes. Technically speaking 24-bit/44.1KHz would be better, because of a lowered noise floor. But the floor of 16-bit is perfectly fine, typically speaking the hiss you hear is due to the amplifier/DAC signal path rather than the fact that it's digital audio. And it's already way lower than what's possible with Vinyl and Tape. But yes, there's no real benefit to 24/96, and especially not enough of one to justify the size increase.

>>63114778
AMB Labs Gamma 2 for my DAC, Garage1217 Project Sunrise III for headphone amp. Both are DIY kits that you can buy preassembled if you want, I grabbed them as kits and assembled them myself. The Gamma 2's USB section sucks from what I've heard, I use S/PDIF. I use the setup with HiFiMan HE-4, best headphones I've ever heard, hands down. Not looking to upgrade any time soon, I may sidegrade to a Bottlehead Crack and Senn HD-600/50s at some point, but I'm not planning on it.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.