[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you find new music, /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: newmusic.jpg (99 KB, 508x339) Image search: [Google]
newmusic.jpg
99 KB, 508x339
How do you find new music, /mu/?
>>
go on /mu/ and listen to the first album in the catalog
>>
Google "bands similar to *blank*" and go to last.FM for the list and search them. Found tons of great groups that way
>>
Pitchfork
>>
I don't because I know like a true patrician that the best music was made inbetween 1552-1955
>>
If new music is worth listening to then it finds me. I've got a huge back catalog I need to get to eventually, no time to listen to everything that comes out.
>>
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/2016/releases/march-03.php
>>
File: vaperwave.gif (152 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
vaperwave.gif
152 KB, 400x267
>Check various music publications (i.e.: P4k, spin, noise, npr music, etc.) and their social media accounts
>Check /mu/; reddit (although, I usually find the latter overwhelming to comb though)
>signed up to record store email listing
(personally suggest Waiting Room Records - Jared knows his shit and he updates frequently)
>browse suggestions based on current listens (last. fm, youtube, spotify, itunes, soundcloud, etc.)

I have no life.
>>
>>63102168
I practice the exact opposite philosophy and let old music find me while scouring new releases of any and all genres.
>>
>>63102205
But chances are your favorite album already exists and is just waiting for you. You greatly decrease the chances of finding that album if you focus on what just came out in the past week.
>>
>>63102179
This. You'll save a lot of time by only sampling the ones with 5 or more reviews.
>>
>>63102226
lol

I mean you are kidding right?
>>
>>63102244
Nope. The best albums all have five or more reviews.
>>
>>63102224
>But chances are your favorite album already exists and is just waiting for you.
thats my point. Its waited this long so might as well sit. However I do go back in time but only till approximately the beginning of the year. I've gotta draw a line somewhere. Besides the same exact thing could happen with a new album while I'm wasting precious time looking for these supposed hidden gems. You see that right? Whatever old album I missed out on was at one time a new release I didnt catch. Unless you're talking dad rock but I'm already an old fuck who's heard everything. Test me.
>>
hi
>>
From the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. It's by far the best tool to find new music.
>>
>look through labels on discogs
>google x type of composer or genre essentials
>>
>>63100349
I used to just find new music randomly.
Now I'm mostly listening to albums that /mu/ recommends since I'm pretty new.
>>
/mu/
rym
discogs
last.fm
youtube
bandcamp
wikipedia
>>
"new" is a perspective, a state that can be subjective .. new to me is new.
>>
>>63102593
listen dude, get suggestions and such from /mu/ for a little bit and get a entry level patrician taste and then leave

go far away and dont come back. this place is good for getting a baseline music taste and overall getting into music but once you get the /mu/ essentials out of the way discover shit on your own instead of here. trust me its for the best
>>
sputnikmusic
>>
>>63102669
Why?
>>
>>63102894
The stuff discussed here is limited to the same artists being discussed over and over again.
>>
>>63102926
Any other sites you'd recommend then?
>>
File: 1289982406684.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1289982406684.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
i used to make fun of it, but now that i have a full time job and a life, all i can do is follow pitchfork

i just dont have the time to scour obscure music blogs anymore and shit

becoming a drone is a mere inevitability and the sooner you accept in life the better
>>
>>63102894
cause its a genuine shit show

the essentials are really good but other than that, theres nothing to offer

i literally come here to laugh at memes, no music discussion
>>
what.cd spider chart.
>>
>>63102894
He's using reverse psychology.
>>
>>63100349
Literally RYM and charts
>>
Word of mouth from friends.

Checking out the rosters of labels I really like.

Finding out what inspired an artist I enjoy and checking it out.
>>
/mu/ sharethreads mostly plus last.fm is great if you want to find similar artists
>>
>>63102966
I would say Reddit, but the discussions are scattered throughout multiple subreddits. I find myself browsing that and /mu/ to see what tracks were popular from different albums.

If you're looking for good sites to discover music instead of discuss it, then try these sites out.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/discover/
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/90day/filtered
>>
>>63103160
Alright, thanks man
>>
Share threads
>>
Youtube and look up songs I like and click every song in the sidebar and listen to a little snippet of each one to see if I like it. No point even reading reviews anymore, I can listen to anything for free instantaneously.
>>
File: 1457072173540.png (191 KB, 387x501) Image search: [Google]
1457072173540.png
191 KB, 387x501
>>63102461
the old discover tool they had was 100X better. this new one is a sad mongoloidal travesty in comparison.
>>
>>63102137
but music started in 1910
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0luryR5uvU
>>
>>63104068
>not listening to non-music
pleb
>>
>>63102926
This is very true.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.