[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
oddball recs thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
What are some artists/albums with really distinct styles that sound like nothing else? For example, some obvious ones would be Boards of Canada, Animal Collective, The Residents, ect. I just need some really unique music to fill my library because a lot of what I hear here sounds a bit too samey for me.
Pic unrelated.
>>
You could check this thread >>63094252
>>
early Psychic TV. If I'm wrong, please rec me more industrial psychedelic sound experiments
>>
>>63095963
Honestly you could check out some of the albums in those dumb "poseur"core threads, if not from there then just keep an eye out I guess.

My rec is that you should listen to Von LM, Faust, or Pixies? Maybe?
>>
Also, being completely serious, you should really check out Cardiacs. They definitely fit your description.
>>
>>63096100
Not too into industrial but what I'm hearing right now sounds pretty nice, thanks anon.
>>63096146
Got a link to anything by Von LM? Looking it up just returns a bunch of shit in German.
Also just tried a random Cardiacs track and their vocal delivery sounds very whimsical and Residents-ey, gonna have to check out more of their stuff.
>>
gonna bump by dumping some of the stuff that made me think to start this thread
this guy makes some really heavy shit that pushes the boundaries of the genre. while other people do similarly abrasive stuff a lot of it has very little to no complexity or is overly dancefloor oriented, this guy can really make some complex shit while still being heavy as fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mbJEZ-D1oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-
s4YEMAaFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuI0ilGup-w
>>
File: R-794102-1161367018.jpeg.jpg (112 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-794102-1161367018.jpeg.jpg
112 KB, 600x600
>>63097062
a bit less obscure, pic related has a pretty distinct style (as does his entire discography)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9RDNdZCpVs
>>
Laurie Anderson never fails to sound like nothing else..
https://youtu.be/SirOxIeuNDE
>>
>>63097342
that vid just seemed like spoken word with some effects over it, but looking up her other stuff I definitely have to say she's unique
>>
>>63095963
The Field
Emeralds
The Books
Can
James Blake (not counting Overgrown)
Stars of the Lid
Sweet Trip's Velocity Design Comfort
>>
File: cover.jpg (466 KB, 890x800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
466 KB, 890x800
>>63097735
>The Field
sounds a lot like a less minimal/glitchy pic related, pretty alright
also really like the more electronic stuff I'm hearing from james blake, really good
>>
bump for new shit
>>
File: BJM.jpg (59 KB, 630x330) Image search: [Google]
BJM.jpg
59 KB, 630x330
>>63095963
Thank me later, OP.
But please, don't tell the rest of /mu/.
>>
>>63097330
underrated artist m8. Love this album
>>
>>63097735
Most of Sweet Trip's discography is hard to compare to anything else. I'd just recommend them outright.
>>
definitely get into xiu xiu if you haven't.
>>
>>63099743
It's definitely his best imo
>>63099816
I actually tried some of their early stuff recently and was really into it, gotta go get their entire discography and try it out soon. Thanks for reminding me anon.
>>
is there anything like a non-chiptune Zan zan zawa veia or Blitz Lunar (specifically his earlier true nes chiptune shit,) I'm not too familiar with rock and I love that shit.
>>
File: KULRuAbgEFIFIgq-556x313-noPad.jpg (69 KB, 497x273) Image search: [Google]
KULRuAbgEFIFIgq-556x313-noPad.jpg
69 KB, 497x273
I too am a quirky and not like the other girls xD

Look into sun city girls(TM) and animal collective(Inc), luvvv them
>>
>>63100833
look man, I just wanted some distinct sounding stuff because I can't stand generic the sounding indie rock that a lot of /mu/ seems to be into and I've run out of autist /bloop/ stuff to listen to, I'm not trying to be a normal-people-scare-me-tier retard alright
>>
>>63100833
also is that even a gril
>>
File: 19072.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
19072.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
After making the album that made them famous and tiring of that one meme song they wrote Peter Bjorn And John basically created this album as a "fuck you" to A&R people and shit who expected them to make another twee indie hit, which was never their intention. Features instruments played by kids from a childrens' home and monologues by people in the members' hometowns talking in obscure Swedish dialects, and is mostly instrumental. It's my favourite album to fall asleep to.
>>
oh and here's a sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMxiyjk4Ldc
>>
>>63100881
>alot of moo seems to be Indie rock

This isn't r/indieheads. at least lurk before posting, dumb r/indieheads newfag
>>
>>63100993
m8 don't ruin my comfy-ass thread by trying to pick a fight, especially over such an obvious thing as '/mu/ likes indie rock more than most other genres.'
also I've never used r/indieheads other than for the anco ama, that place is even worse of a shithole than most of reddit (which is saying something)
>>
>>63100833
>>63100993
you must have better things to do than troll /mu/
>>
>>63100932
not sure how much I'd care for a full album of stuff like this but it's pretty nice, really like the tone of the piano
>>
>>63101525
it's pretty diverse, none of the songs represent the whole album
>>
>>63102060
I'll definitely check it out then anon, some of those instruments' tones sound really beautiful.
>>
another bumperino, good stuff's been posted so far
>>
Macha
It's rock fused with gamelan. I absolutely love this album. If anyone knows anything like this, I'd appreciate it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tlk8cu8wxw
>>
>>63103576
honestly can't say I've ever heard that before anon, definitely unique
>>
File: mayo.png (163 KB, 296x292) Image search: [Google]
mayo.png
163 KB, 296x292
john mayer
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.