[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ZOMG THE BEETULZ XDXDXDXD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: sgtpuppers.jpg (324 KB, 1600x1549) Image search: [Google]
sgtpuppers.jpg
324 KB, 1600x1549
They weren't that good.
They really weren't. I mean, sure, some of their stuff was pretty darn innovative for the time, but we've had MUCH better music over the years. I don't get why should all kiss their mop top asses for their historical element either. Its just nostalgia; almost like a placebo effect. If Sgt Peppers was released in this day and age - no one would really give that much a fuck.
>>
their music was a tool used to push a pro-drug agenda on the listening public of young people, look it up
>>
>reads scaruffi once
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
yeah, fuck the beatles
>>
>>63091743
>If Sgt Peppers was released in this day and age - no one would really give that much a fuck.
No shit, it's from the 60's
>>
Revolver>Sgt Peppers

Tomorrow Never Knows is one hell of a song

Beatles always had an edge to them, but never a tenderness, hell, maybe they did, I'm just such a beach boy nut that I might be biased
>>
>>63091743
>If Sgt Peppers was released in this day and age - no one would really give that much a fuck.
>If Sgt. Peppers were released in this day and age
>after The Beatles have already influenced pop music for decades
You are dumb.
>>
"The Beatles are overrated" might be the single most uninteresting music-related discussion you can possibly have.
>>
>>63091820
Revolver on the other hand is timeless and would be praised regardless of era.
>>
>>63091874
Revolver sucks, it pet sounds minus the good production (besides a few songs)
>>
>>63091922
Whenever someone makes this claim you can tell they just started exploring music seriously within the last few months. OP is either underage or a late bloomer
>>
yes, let's have something else:

>the doors vs the rolling stones

go!
>>
>>63091967
The Rolling Stones
>>
>>63091967
the doors (album) was better than anything the Stones ever put out, but the Stones have more better albums
>>
>>63091874
The Beatles were equally edgy and soft, for example
>It's getting better all the time
>It can't get no worse
Beach Boys are all in one direction and TVU are all in the other. The Beatles sit on the fence.
>>
>>63091967

I'll take the Stones. The Doors ain't too shabby either though.
>>
>>63092502
>Beach boys are all in one direction
I know it wasn't released at the time, but there are a lot of moments on SMiLE that are not tender at all. Do You Like Worms has native American immitation singing with that really weird Harpsichord refrain. Not to mention, the mystical Mrs Olearys Cow

Hell, even good vibrations was pretty darn edgy
>>
>>63092645
Weird, but hardly seriously cynical or caustic like much of Lennon's and Reed's lyrics were.
>>
>>63092680
Reed's lyrics were fucking trash

Have you actually HEARD Venus in Furs? Cringe
>>
>>63092928
You don't have to like them.
>>
>>63092962
If we're comparing Lennon / Reed, Lennon's better.
>>
>>63092502
>and the VU are all in another

I guess the Nico tracks, TVU, and Loaded don't exist?
>>
>>63092680
Brian spoke through music not words.

But I do agree, while van Dykes penned some great stuff that really set landscapes, it was still so earthly

There's some really great word play on SMiLE though.

>dove nested towers the hour was strike the street quick silver moon
>>
>>63092928
>>63092998
Lennon is reddit personified

>Derr le God doesn't exist
>I'll write ironic songs about guns xD
>Lel capitalism is bad but I'm a millionaire

At least Lou lived as how he preached. Lou was authentic.
>>
>>63091959
Likewise when someone makes such a retort you can tell that they specialize in terrible pop music and watch CNN.
>>
>>63093110
If you can only interface with art through reddit references, it's time to step off, also, Lennon lived everything he said. You can call him an idiot, but not dishonest.
>>
>>63093016
I mean, TVU's impact on rock and roll, conceptually, at least, is how they brought the streets and slums and deviants to a mass audience, no?
>>
You say that they were innovative for their time but you also say that there is no notable historical element.

Make up your mind you child.
>>
>>63093942
He only said they were innovative for their time because he didn't want people to post a ton of shitty derivative pop albums that prove the Beatles had some influence. Their work isn't actually that creative though. It's literally pop music.
>>
>>63093980
Acting like The Beatles only influenced shitty derivative pop albums is pretty ignorant. I'm sure many great music artists have stated that they were influenced by the band in some way.

I don't even really like The Beatles that much, but saying they weren't creative is incorrect.
>>
>>63093980
Because pop music isn't creative right?
>>
>>63091743
influential and popular at the time yes but nowadays i dont see much reason to choose to listen to the beatles to be honest
>>
>>63094105
If you listened to pop music exclusively you might think so, but no, it isn't.
>>
Music tastes are subjective to each and everyone. A lot of people like them because they fit their tastes. A lot of people also think the same way about whatever your listening to. Why do people act like they don't understand how could people like the Beatles (even more so when there are so many of them). The Beatles are great, but not for you, mmhkay?

>>63094152
You're talking out of your ass
>>
>>63094101

Black Francis was inspired by The White Album to write Doolittle. Doolittle changed the face of alternative rock. Therefore, The White Album influenced alternative rock, indie music, and what not.
>>
File: 1456785454159.png (200 KB, 244x377) Image search: [Google]
1456785454159.png
200 KB, 244x377
>>63092112
this doesn't make any fucking sense
>>
>>63094101
You're totally right. Music began with the Beatles in the year 1960 and every sound heard today is directly influenced by the Fathers of Music.
>>
>>63091967
The Doors

The Stones only made, like, two good albums
>>
>>63094250
You talk like indie rock isn't an entire genre of shitty derivative pop music.
>>
>>63091804
this
>>
>>63093110
How is it telling that? Can't the greatest also be the more succesful? Is that impossible m8?
>>
>>63094377
The Big Bang Theory is literally the top-rated sitcom on television right now. Popularity and quality have an almost inverse correlation.
>>
>>63094300

I didn't say that. It's just pop music with idiots who think they're artistic or angstier. But those are the idiots who normally argue that The Beatles aren't influential or argue TVU was more influential. Or The Beach Boys. All three of those bands are equally influential, in the, 'not very' category. There were far greater influential musicians outside of the last century that people have never listened to. But people want to say the music created in the last 70 years is better than the centuries of music that's come before it. People are idiots.
>>
>>63094477
aint that some very poor generalization
>>
>>63094493
Indeed. For all we know the 1790s held a mad noise rock scene but nobody bothered recording it because Beethoven was just better.
>>
>>63094266
That's a pretty funny comment, but not one that relates to my post.
I said that many great music artists were influenced by The Beatles. I never said that they influenced everybody. I even said that I personally didn't like the band that much.
I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful music acts that weren't influenced by them at all, but to deny the amount that were is stupid.

Are you going to call my post "reddit" or post a meme next?
>>
>>63091934
Fucking awful opinion and awful analysis of Revolver
>>
>>63094980
Maybe they aren't directly influence to a lot of band, but chances are they somehow still are through other influences
>>
>>63094980
No, I'm going to dismiss the bands that you claim were as shitty derivative pop music.
>>
>>63091967
The Rolling Stones.
>>
>>63095011
Still a shitty average album.
Pet sounds and sgt pepper is beyond better.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.