[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when Kendrick became the Radiohead of hip hop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: 5353456345634.png (934 KB, 480x1200) Image search: [Google]
5353456345634.png
934 KB, 480x1200
Where were you when Kendrick became the Radiohead of hip hop?
>>
I came in this thread to get all assmad but... There's quite a few similarities
>>
Goddamnit
>>
>>63091604
>>63091506
same

The trajectories match
>>
So Kendrick is also shit? We already knew that. Just see how much he butchered Untitled 2 (now named Untitled 08). The Fallon performance was miles better and he turnes it to shit. Tpab is also shit, king kunta for example repeats constantly with only 4 instruments. Same with the rest of the aongs tobeeaich
>>
>>63091689
>Same with the rest of the aongs tobeeaich
What did he mean by this?
>>
The trajectories having striking similarities, but I'm not sure Radiohead was ever as popular as Kendrick is, and I don't think Kendrick ever quite redefined his sound to the extent that Radiohead did.
>>
I don't like either but for some reason I'm interested in this comparison
>>
>>63091730
I'd say TPAB redefined his sound very much so.
>>
>>63091506
>mfw kendricks in rainbows is a gkmc throwback with grandiose strings
mmmm
>>
can't wait for Kendrick's In Rainbows.
>>
>>63091506
I've also seen comparisons between the Beatles' chronology and Radiohead's, with the first 5 Beatles albums being mashed together and compared to Pablo Honey
>>
>>63091719
2h
>>
>>63091506
At the end of the day, Kendrick is still making hip hop, albeit the best hip hop of his day, but Radiohead blew the lid off their genre to the point where it's hard to define where they fit at all unless you go by an album to album basis. Kendrick has produced an incredibly interesting sound that no doubt separates him from his peers, but Radiohead took their fan base into new styles that they had never been exposed to. Radiohead is basically a platform for rock fans to get out of their bubble and listen to wildly different music, and I can't say Kendrick is doing the same.
>>
>>63091506
>shitty start
>interesting ideas held back by hop hop cliches
>masterpiece
>post-masterpiece depression album
>refined and distilled ideas from same depressed period that contrarians will forever prefer

this is perfect
>>
>>63091745
But TPAB is still hip hop though its more advanced, and I'm hard pressed to put Kid A into a genre. Its not not rock, but tracks like Everything in Its Right Place and Idioteque are literally nothing like any of Radiohead's previous songs, like at all. I think the comparison is valid, I'm just throwing in my opinion on contrasts.
>>
>>63091506
DELETE THIS
>>
>>63091506
Kendrick is great, he still hasn't surpassed Kanye yet. Maybe if he can diver 2 more really good albums.

Comparing studio albums
College Drop out>Section 80
Good Kid=Late Registration
TPAB>Graduation
>>
So Kendrick's next full length is gonna be a disappointing but in retrospect underrated mixture of GKMC-style mainstream rap production and TPAB-style jazz rap with a bunch of filler songs. Great.
>>
>>63092349
>kanye
>ever good
uh huh.
>>
>>63091689
u be in ur feelings i be in my bag u biiiiiiiiiiiiish
>>
>>63092424
Literally redefined rap/hip-hop culture. This isn't an opinion this is fact. Kendrick has specifically said to be the best rapper alive he has to go after Kanye. I don't know if he thinks he has surpassed him now. But after GKMC he said he still hadn't.
>>
>>63092523
>Literally redefined rap/hip-hop culture
lol. i bet you think yeezus was really good and 'experimental' don't you.
>>
>>63092349
thats a really weird comparison
TPAB would be dark fantasy
GKMC would be late registration
Section 80 would be college dropout
kendrick just skipped the shit albums
>>
>>63092679
gkmc is dark fantasy though.
>>
>>63092538
>knows one meme about how everyone says yeezus wasnt experimental
>thinks he can talk about kanyes influence
hip hop after college dropout was completely changed.
after dark fantasy it changed again
have you even bothered to listen to him?
>>
>>63092679
Think he's comparing their first 3 albums. Like who's career has had more success in album order .
>>
>>63092697
i dunno, while dark fantasy and good kid both appeal to pop hip hop a bit, dark fantasys post-fame post-success thing matches TPAB perfectly
>>
>>63092523
what did he do that Andre 3000 already hadn't?
>>
>>63092424
I mean, why isn't it? It's got all the acclaim and consensuses to be acknowledged as such. Just like Kendrick's last few albums. It also has asshole minorities like you trying to down it but your opinion will never be the go to.
>>
>>63092523
The fact that all the shit Kanye poops out is called revolutionary is enough to see how low quality the hip hop genre is, compared to any other genre around.
>>
>>63092906
No one cares about indie rock faggot. It's dead.
>>
>>63092924
lmao hit a nerve much?
>>
>>63092799
>kanye fans
shut the fuck up
>>
>>63092944
Nah you're just an obvious in denial indie rock fag if you think this. I mean even all your favorite rock artist have pretty said Hip hop seems to be one of the only genres of music that are really experimenting and still being accepted by a mainstream audience.
>>
>>63093036
Boohooo
>implying I care about indie rock
At least is more enjoyable than hip hop.

>Hip hop seems to be one of the only genres of music that are really experimenting and still being accepted by a mainstream audience.
Making shit for over hormoned teenagers and niggers isn't revolutionary bro. Also, you think that hip hop is really experimenting? Holy fucking kek
>>
>>63092992
I am actually really shocked you people try to hate him so much here on /mu/. He's easily this places mascot and probably more 4chan culture than any other current artist
>>
>>63093161
>He's easily this places mascot and probably more 4chan culture than any other current artist
That's why he's hated so much. Or why the minority is so vocal.

They want their favorite artist to be acknowledged on the same scale
>>
>>63091773
Can't wait for that
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.