[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One word: hella fcking epic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8
File: 53686998_b8222ba376_o.jpg (93 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
53686998_b8222ba376_o.jpg
93 KB, 768x768
One word: hella fcking epic
>>
my thoughts exactly when I first listened to the album
>>
it frazzles, but does it speck on a dime? i'd say nelly
>>
File: Nigga you high.jpg (7 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Nigga you high.jpg
7 KB, 240x240
>hella
>>
faston bulvous
>>
>>63067581
I'd like a single one of you to explain why this album is good without parroting or paraphrasing the words of critics.
>>
>>63067878
It's catchy
>>
File: new england.png (2 MB, 2839x1023) Image search: [Google]
new england.png
2 MB, 2839x1023
>>63067662
Californians are fags, I prefer wicked.
>>
>>63067878
it's very chaotic and amazing at the same time
>>
>>63067934
It's really not. There are certain things that make songs catchy and this album doesn't have any. Also, that's a real amateur description of why you like an album.

>>63067965
Why is it amazing? Chaotic doesn't mean good.
>>
>>63067878
It's really relaxing and good to have in the background while you do stuff
>>
>>63068063
Catchy and relaxing are the opposite of this album.

You realize that this album is total fucking chaos with a seriously liberal perspective of what music is right?
>>
it's fucking horrendous, but I appreciate the effort
>>
>>63067878
It's all over the place but and same time extremely well put together. If you've ever made music, you'd realize how hard it is to make something so disjointed and off kilter still sound so coherent.
>>
>>63068176
I've been a professional musician for 8 years. It's technically impressive that its no improvisation and all composed beforehand, that doesn't change the fact that it sounds like fucking garbage.

That's what happens when you dissociate on way too much acid and try to compose an album. You lose touch of reality and start making this bulshit.
>>
>>63068223
ok so you're just mad as hell

carry on
>>
File: 1457048040215.png (106 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1457048040215.png
106 KB, 750x750
>>63067976
>You can't use any professional well-worded, well-thought out answers that anyone else has used
>man why is your answer shit
Seriously, listen to yourself. Give me something to work with.

It is too catchy. Have you listened to the album? I know the words to every other song on here by heart, and I know most of the rest. Every other song on here is catchy and memorable as hell. Yes, even the spoken word bits. Literally the only bad song on here is that stupid blimp song.

>>63068223
>I claim I've been a "professional" musician for 8 years
>This qualifies me to call this album objectively trash

You're just b8ing or shitposting. If you seriously believed that was a solid argument, you could easily be refuted along the same lines by referring to a more experienced musician or creative who loves this album.
>>
>>63067581
>hella fcking epic
Well Looks Like I Need To Listen To This Hella Fckin EPin Ablum.
>>
>>63068386
My point is that people here get pretentious and feel superior for liking this album, when they can't even begin to explain what makes them like it. It's a bunch of meme bandwagoners. It is not catchy.

>>63068380
How is that mad? I'm being realistic.
>>
I understand why it's so hated and polarizing, but holy shit if you don't dig this album you're missing out
>>
>>63067878
It entertains me
I enjoy it
>>
>>63068451
>"they can't even begin to explain what makes them like it"
>someone explains
>"NO THAT'S NOT RIGHT THOUGH"
>>
>>63068530
What catchy and relaxing? Do you know anything about music?
>>
>>63068527
Do you insult people who don't like this album or see them as lesser?
>>
>>63068597
I don't insult them but I do see them as lacking in taste
>>
>>63068597
No. To each their own.
>>
>>63068459
Nah I'm pretty satisfied with my music that doesn't sound like shit.

>>63068631
Why should someone like this album if they have good taste? You understand that this album sounds like shit to most people right? What makes this album tasteful? What makes it good? None of you have said anything besides vague adjectives that show you don't actually know anything about music theory.
>>
>>63068650
Good on you man, mature position to take.
>>
>>63068674
You just don't understand it
>>
>>63068674
distinctive rhythms (polyrhythms)
fine melodies
nutty voice and rhythms give feelings of insanity
has a good flow as an album
>>
>>63068553
Do you? Catchy and relaxing are words that describe the listener's personal experience to the album. You asked why people liked it of course they're going to tell you their personal thoughts on it. Just because you don't find it catchy doesn't mean there isn't some jackass jamming out and yelling the words to Ella Guru.
>>
>>63068451
>it is not catchy
How can you not think this song is catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZFG1yAxjdQ
>>
>>63068736
Clearly you don't.

>>63068749
the melodies are pretty bad. He is pretty tone deaf and off key in much of his singing. Chaos doesn't automatically mean good.

>>63068757
I'm pointing out that you don't know shit about music. Do you even play an instrument or know any theory?
>>
>>63068674
>It's technically impressive that its no improvisation and all composed beforehand, that doesn't change the fact that it sounds like fucking garbage
>What makes it good? None of you have said anything besides vague adjectives that show you don't actually know anything about music theory.

now you're just fucking up
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q

>people don't hear the beauty of this music

How is it even possible boys
>>
>>63068793
Being technically impressive while making shit music doesn't make it good. That just means you tried really hard and nothing good came out of it.

It's the most tryhard bullshit I've ever listened to.

>>63068785
No and I hope you realize this is instantly recognizable as bad music to normal people. No, getting used to listening to bad music doesn't make you special, it makes you a memeslave.

Describe in musical terms what you like about this album.
>>
File: turtle.jpg (9 KB, 252x150) Image search: [Google]
turtle.jpg
9 KB, 252x150
>>63068787
>you have to know music theory to enjoy music
>>
>>63068861
Describe in musical terms why you don't like it.

All you've thread this thread is "it sounds like shit" and when someone disagrees all you have to say is "muh music theory"
>>
>>63068861
The Arctic Monkeys is recognizable as good music by average people when they first hear it

does that make it good music? No. You're saying the quantity of people understand good music better than qualified musicians? You're dumb.
>>
>>63068868
You don't. I'm just saying that if you're being elitist about music and pretending your taste is superior, you better fucking know music theory.
>>
>>63068840
I showed my gf the end of Veteran's Day Poppy and she was like "holy shit this is proto-Slint"

it's astounding how ahead of the curve the album is
>>
>>63068907
everything you've said is elitist
also
>memeslave
aren't you just a debating genius
>>
>>63068785
agree with this, moonlight on vermont is fucking catchy
>>
>>63068674
>music theory
yeah, that's never actually relevant in a discussion about the quality of the music, sorry
>>
>>63068907
knowing music theory does not enhance taste or musical enjoyment in any way

it is merely a way to discuss structural and qualitative aspects of music within a fixed linguistic framework
>>
Meme album desu senpai, the music is god-awful and just because it sounds like shit in different key from the singing doesn't make it good
Beefheart has a hell of a voice though
>>
>>63068905
Describe me why Arctic Monkeys make bad music, you know, proper criticism. Stuff like "Alex Turner is a faggot" dont mean shit.
>>
>>63069202
Alex Turner raped me
>>
I don't like it because it's not my kinda music, but I understand that there's a great music value behind this. I like the Dachau Blues, though. Do you know anything like this one?
>>
one word: TRASH
>>
>>63069306
have you listened to his earlier albums like Safe as Milk, Mirror Man, and Strictly Personal?

you'll probably dig
>>
>>63069443
I mean... blues, man. hell
>>
>>63069493
you actually think there are blues songs out there that sound like that aside from Beefheart?

Howlin' Wolf is the closest thing, but not even in the same building
>>
>>63068972
>>63069051
>>63069107
Thanks for proving my point that you children are elitist about knowing nothing in regards to music. This is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>63069584
>refutes nothing
wew lad
>>
File: 1456624333517.jpg (9 KB, 440x200) Image search: [Google]
1456624333517.jpg
9 KB, 440x200
>>63069584
>>
>>63069568
Not exactly like Beefheart, more like general blues... I just want to hear blues
>>
>>63069613
Refute what? It's very clear that none of you know anything about music. That's fine, but if any sense of superiority or elitism you have about music are comically unfounded.
>>
>>63069639
Skip James
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Charley Patton
Robert Johnson
Willie Dixon
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
The Staples Singers (some gospel overlap but it's crazy good)
Washington Phillips
Son House
John Lee Hooker
Blind Willie McTell
Memphis Slim
Memphis Minnie
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
>>
>>63069700
>continues to refute nothing
weeeeeew lad
>>
>>63069636
No amount of gen z memes will change the fact that you know nothing about music and are being pretentious about your own taste.

This is like an amateur plane nerd trying to tell an aerospace engineer what makes a good aircraft. Know your place.
>>
>>63069700
any time someone brings up how technically impressive it is or anything about the polyrythms or melodies you just reply with "hurrr but it sounds like shit". you've done nothing to state why it's bad other than that and insult people who do the same when they say they like it

congrats, you're a fucking child
>>
>>63069745
Thank you, dear youngster
>>
>>63069700
If you knew anything about music then you'd understand why people like this album even if you personally don't.
>>
>>63069781
Literally only one person knew actual musical terms. His only reasoning was that he likes polyrythms.

Does it hurt your feelings to know that you're a clueless amateur when it comes to music?
>>
>>63069768
>I don't like it or get it so you must be pretending!!!!11!!11! POSER!!!!111 Listen to real music like Radiohead and The Strokes POSER!!!
>>
>>63069805
That's not what I have a problem with. I have a problem with the people who tell people that they're inferior for disliking this album when they know nothing about how music works or how to make it.
>>
>>63069768
>thinks understanding of music theory is necessary to have a response to music
>claims others know nothing about music
toppest kek
>>
>>63069815
TMR fuses a ridiculously number of disparate genres from free jazz soloing to delta blues to spoken word, all utilizing some of the most poetically brilliant lyrics in all of rock music to create a wholly unique, bizarro world, ahead of its time in every regard

if you can't get that, sorry for ya
>>
>>63069848
yeah because you have to know how to make music in order to critique it

I think I enjoyed my meal at the restaurant last night but I'm not a chef so there's no way I can be sure

My brakes seem to be stopping my car in time but I don't manufacture brakes so I don't know anything about whether they work

I wish I could watch TV but I don't make television shows so I can't figure out what I like and what I don't
>>
>>63069873
I didn't say you need that to listen or respond to music, I'm saying that if you're being elitist and have an air of superiority about music, you better fucking know music theory.

>>63069880
Lots of genres fuse, that's not impressive in itself. His lyrics are not brilliant, they are what rambling high person comes up with. If by ahead of its time you mean sounding bad to set the precedent that you can be a shitty musician and make punk, then yeah.
>>
>>63069947
>yeah because you have to know how to make music in order to critique it

Yeah I'd argue that's a perfectly reasonable prerequisite, at least if you're now criticizing other people's taste.
>>
>>63069947
I've got to wonder, how do you supposedly love music so much but have spent no effort to understand it or make it yourself? Are you a lazy pussy or something?
>>
>>63069970
>I'm saying that if you're being elitist and have an air of superiority about music, you better fucking know music theory.
Kek there is literally zero connection between those two things
>>
>>63069970
Yes, genres do fuse, but usually only by brilliant musicians who think to do so like Miles with jazz and rock, Can with rock+funk+musique concrete

You were afraid you’d be the devils red wife
But it’s alright God dug yer dance
‘n would have you young ‘n in his harum
Dress you the way he wants cause he never had uh doll
Cause everybody made him uh boy
‘n God didn’t think t’ ask his preference

if you don't see the brilliance that a man was writing about God's gender fluidity in '69, you're just being a stink
>>
>>63070000
your argument would be wrong
>>
>>63069848
>I'd like a single one of you to explain why this album is good without parroting or paraphrasing the words of critics.

the only one trying to act superior is you. people say they like it and you have an aspie fit about "BUT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MUSIC"

you were the one that st
>>
File: 1280x1280.jpg (264 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280.jpg
264 KB, 1280x1280
Best No Wave group?
>>
>>63070079
that or DNA
>>
>>63070024
I love food but I'm not going to culinary school
I love my couch but I'm not teaching myself to build furniture
I love video games but I'm not trying to make one of my own

You don't have to know or even care how to make music to enjoy it and suggesting otherwise is straight retarded, son
>>
>>63070027
>>63070032
>>63070046
>A bunch of chumps who can't even describe, perform or compose music being elitist about their taste

You fags are absolutely downplaying this point. It's huge. Would you tell a chef how to make food if you couldn't even cook? Would you tell a biologist how to best carry out an experiment on the energy benefits of different sugars on bacteria? Would you tell an aerospace engineer how to make a good jet because you had diecast models as a kid? Would you tell a CEO how to run his company? Would you tell a professional pitcher what the right way to throw a ball is?

This is comedy.
>>
>>63070110
Yeah I don't care that you have an opinion, just don't be pretentious or elitist about it is my only request. Enjoy the album all you want, just don't tell people they're inferior for not enjoying it if you know literally nothing about making music.
>>
>>63067878
Some music just clicks with just as many as it alienates. I personally think it's garbage as well, but I have >friends that love it. I respect their opinions because even though some like this shit, they also like a lot of bands I enjoy.

I think Radiohead is fucking trash too but I get that my opinion is in the minority. It's fine to have your own tastes, anon. It's what you special, kiddo.
>>
>>63070118
but I compose lyrics
and arrange the instrumentation
and perform the instrumentation
and record it

so fuck outta here
>>
>>63070159
Show me your work.
>>
>>63070185
i'm going to get an instant "WOW THIS IS SHIT" to make you look correct and cool

but so be it

soundcloud.com/lukefrazier
>>
>>63070118
>You fags are absolutely downplaying this point. It's huge.
it's not

>Would you tell a chef how to make food if you couldn't even cook?
i don't have to know how to cook to know if my food tastes too salty or too bland or what have you

>Would you tell a biologist how to best carry out an experiment on the energy benefits of different sugars on bacteria? Would you tell an aerospace engineer how to make a good jet because you had diecast models as a kid? Would you tell a CEO how to run his company? Would you tell a professional pitcher what the right way to throw a ball is?
thank you for that stream of irrelevant attempts at analogy

you don't have to know how to make or do something to know whether or not you like the final result
>>
>>63070155
knowing how to make music has exactly dick-all to do with having or expressing an opinion about it
>>
>>63070201
Oh wow kid you're an immature looking tryhard with the whitest raps possible and shitty mixing.

That's one in a million.
>>
>>63070245
Knowing how to fly a plane has nothing to do with expressing opinions about flying techniques.
>>
>>63067581
What are other (contemporary and/r/earlier) albums like it?
>>
>>63070213
You know nothing about music. You can't even describe it in a meaningful way, you can't make it, you can't play it, you can't perform it. Your opinion is shit and irrelevant. No one who means anything cares about your ignorant opinion.
>>
>>63070258
thumbs up
>>
>>63070273
planes are not comparable to music

unless you're trying to say that flying a plane is a subjective form of creative expression, which is really really dumb

might wanna pump the brakes on the analogies seeing as you don't seem very good at formulating them
>>
>>63070310
Cut your hair you faggot high schooler.
>>
>>63070316
Producing a film has nothing to do with expressing opinions about movie making techniques.
>>
>>63070305
wew lad calm down with the projection, i'm not your therapist

protip: musicians, producers, and basically everyone who's anyone in the music business from the struggling artists to the top names care rather a lot about the opinions of people who don't know music theory or how to play an instrument, seeing as those people make up the majority of the revenue stream and their opinion of your tunes determines whether they'll throw cash at them
>>
>>63070332
You must be hella bored to just keep this thread going for so long

Great bait job though, without doubt
>>
>>63070365
yes, that's correct

you don't have to have made a film to know whether you liked a given movie or not and why
>>
>>63070371
I promise you they don't care when some pretentious fuck who can't play an open C tells them how to make music.
>>
>>63070405
I promise you it's the pretentious fucks who think knowing how to play an open C means anything that they don't care about
>>
>>63070393
Right, but you need to know something about film to assert that your opinion holds any weight to people who actually make film.
>>
File: 1456428482856.jpg (92 KB, 394x394) Image search: [Google]
1456428482856.jpg
92 KB, 394x394
>>63070201
>makes an entire thread complaining about a dissonant, chaotic album and the people who praise it
>he plays horrendous noise rock

ARE YOU FOR REAL MAN?
>>
>>63070438
Dude, you know nothing about music. It's not a big deal, just admit that your opinion doesn't mean anything. I'm not saying don't have an opinion, I'm saying don't act like your opinion is informed or meaningful. It's not, it's cheap and useless.
>>
>>63070440
nope. see: test audiences, who know nothing about film and whose input determines what gets to final cut and what doesn't, sometimes changing the entire flow and structure of the film.
>>
>>63070460
well yeah, I love Captain Beefheart, so it makes sense that I make dissonant noise rock influenced by him

although you apparently made it exactly one song in
>>
>>63070460
I'm not Op, I've been the one arguing and I that was a guy arguing against me.

>>63070477
Testing an audience to see what they like is not the same as a producer asking a casual how to make his movie.
>>
>>63070477
But test audiences routinely ruin films.
>>
>>63070469
Dude, you know nothing about the weight of opinions on music. It's not a big deal, just admit that your opinion doesn't mean anything. I'm not saying don't have an opinion, I'm saying don't act like your opinion is informed or meaningful. It's not, it's cheap and useless.
>>
>>63070515
>Testing an audience to see what they like is not the same as a producer asking a casual how to make his movie.
KEKKKKKK M8

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME THING

test audiences are what happens when movie suits want direct input from casuals on how to make their movie
>>
>>63068223
it's actually all improvized, but used as compositions pleb; go back to playing your metallica riffage
>>
can't you all just listen to this record and not feel smug about it? Yes i love TMR, yes everytime i listen to it i just feel like dancing and do air guitar and air drumming, but ffs, it's because of this shitty place that lots of people say everyone who enjoy this record is a pretentious douchebag pretending to "understand it". You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!
>>
>>63070497
>>63070515
ok apparently I got lost 48236893 times in this thread, sorry, i'm leaving now
>>
>>63070644
>caring this much about what other people think
Are you five?
>>
>>63070668
thanks for calling my music horrible at least
>>
>>63070679
Isn't caring a lot about what other people think the point of this thread?
>>
I fell in love only hearing Frownland. You're way too right.
>>
>>63070679
>implying 5year olds give a shit what other people think
>>
>>63070798
When i was 5 and someone called me an ugly duckling, i was very upset
>>
>>63070700
sorry man
If it's any consolation I was starting to dig the ??? list you have there though :^), I like interestellar road trip and the peep-show
>>
>>63070953
that's my way older stuff. Still solid tunes but after playing them live for like 4 years i'm p much done with them for now
>>
>>63069568
Old Time Relijun does a good job ripping off Beefheart while also doing their own thing. You should give them a listen.
>>
it's funny that most people on this board actually think they're being original when they say beefheart's music is "catchy and unique". i've read it posted thousands of times and honestly you should just keep that shit to yourself instead of shitting up the board more
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.