[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
heroes is his best album >prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (781 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
781 KB, 1136x640
heroes is his best album
>prove me wrong
>>
>>63059964
Why would I anon? Heroes is his best album.
>>
Its good but station to station and low are better. Definitely top 3 though, but with bowie thats not a criticism, just that his music is almost always quality
>>
>>63059964
who are you quoting anon?
>>
>>63060036
>low is better
Hello plebeian
>>
>>63060100
Explain
>>
>>63060115
Heroes is shitty mainstream pop
>>
>>63060154
Kys
>>
>>63059964
2nd to Scary Monsters
>>
scary monsters, low, lodger, heathen, young americans... the guy has too many classic albums to list them in an order, they've all influenced me in equal measure lol
>>
>>63060154
Low is shitty underproduced and half-baked pop music.
Heroes has infinitely better production, sounds way more composed, and has Robert fucking Fripp in it.
>>63060312
lmao no
>>
>>63059964
BABY I'LL NEVER LET YOU GO
>>
YOU CAN BUY GOD, IT'S MONDAY
>>
SONS OF SOUND AND SONS OF SOUND
>>
Station to Station is objectively the best because he was at the peak of his cocaine addiction
>>
lol thats not hunky dory
>>
Station to Station is his best, Low and Heroes are really close, but Low wins with the better ambient tracks.
>>
>>63062409
pleb spotted
>>
>>63062303
lmao no
>>63062409
Hunky Dory is good glam rock but it ain't no Heroes
>>63062414
>low
>better ambient tracks
>better anything
Low is literally the most overrated Bowie album in existence, fuck that
>>
the german and french recordings of "heroes" are lightyears ahead of the original
>>
THE SEEEEEECRET LIFE OF ARABIA
>>
>>63062455
As in the vinyl?
>>
>>63062455
Dump the rip family
>>
>>63059964
Ziggy stardust is better
>>
Ziggy >= Hunky Dory > Heroes >>> the rest
>>
>>63059964
No, Heroes is worse for one simple reason - Side B.
Low's Side B is so much better, and if you compare both Side A's - Heroes is way better, but Low's Side B is so amazing, and far superior to Heroes'.
>>
File: Jaffa view from Sea.jpg (86 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
Jaffa view from Sea.jpg
86 KB, 640x481
>>63064102
So as to which album is superior overall - it's Low.
>>
>>63060384
You're a super pleb mate
>>
Well it's comparing shit to diahrea so say whatever album you want is the best it doesn't matter dude.
>>
>>63064494
>Tripfag thinking they can have a opinion.
>>
>>63060154
>Neukoelln
>Moss Garden
>>
>>63060154
What a dumb post. Are you 12 years old by any chance?
>>
>>63060036
>>63062303
>>63062414
Station to Station might hold a candle to Low and "Heroes" if 3/6 tracks weren't shitty filler. If every track was like "Stay", it might be his best album.
>>
>>63064102
Art Decade and Subterraneans are both great but Warszawa is an overlong dreary mess and Weeping Wall is embarrassing kitsch. "Heroes"' side B is much more consistent.
>>
>>63065575
You sick dick
>>
>>63060154
successful b8
>>
In no particular order

Hunky Dory
Man who sold the world
Ziggy

are my favorites
>>
>>63060921
what?
>>
>>63065575
>>63064102
Gonna agree partly with this. The B side of Low has more peaks but Weeping Wall kinda sucks. Also the "pop" side of Heroes is really tight, like so good that even though the B side of Heroes isn't as good as Low, overall Heroes still remains a better album.

The way Bowie's voice breaks on tracks like Joe the Lion (and also Fripp's guitar playing in general) is really catching.

Like, it's hard to think of an album that better surmises the era it was recorded in, it's fraught and tense, even the upbeat tracks like Beauty and the Beast have an underlying sense of anxiety that constantly keeps the listener on edge. It could be a pleasant pop album but the irony of tracks like the titular Heroes or the schizophrenia of Blackout constantly drag the mood down just as you begin to enjoy yourself (this of course before you even get to the B side). I don't know how intentional it was to make a record so poignant, to surmise the cold war like he has but certainly, I think it would be easier for a lesser artist to go overboard and create an incredibly brooding atmosphere without any real recourse but Bowie, somehow, manages to keep the entire thing balanced, one particular mood never seems to linger for too long, just as things seem their grimmest, light shines though, even for a moment and things don't seem so hopeless.

I suppose the B-side of Low also builds on similar themes of uncertainty and despair, like Warsawa which was supposed to reflect the suffering of the Polish caught behind the iron curtain but I think the sentiment, especially after having spent time in Berlin, is much more refined than that which is presented on Low.

Personally, I'd consider Low a musical masterpiece, music for the sake of music in itself (almost) and Heroes to be an emotional masterpiece, a reflection of two different worlds, internal and external with many common themes, which you prefer, I suppose, depends, somewhat, on what you value more.
>>
>>63066565
Nice
>>
Heroes, The Man Who Sold the World, Blackstar make up the holy trinity of Bowie albums
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.