[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AT-LP 120
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (242 KB, 1075x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242 KB, 1075x800
Hey, so I've messed around with vinyl for a couple years, but only on old 70s all-in-ones with BSR platters and weak systems. I'm really looking into getting an ATLP120, but does anyone have anything negative to say about it?

I know it's an entry level table but it seems mad respectable at its price point.

Tell me what I'm missing out on if I get this instead of, say, a Rega or a Pro-ject.
>>
>>63038127
Edit: At this stage in the game I'm not interested in hunting a respectable vintage table, and need somewhere to start fresh before I work in deeper.
>>
You can upgrade it my man its easy.
Just:
>Get a bottle of bleach
>chug it
>then take a little nap
>>
>>63038149
Are you saying this table is a poor choice or are you just sitting lukewarm suicide how jokes onto my thread?
>>
bumpin cuz i'm interested as well
>>
>>63038127

Is it weird that a Direct Drive turntable comes with a strobe disc?
>>
What are you plugging it into preamp/amp/speaker wise?

If you setup is less than $5k I don't think you'll hear a difference between ATLP120 and a Rega.
>>
LP120 is fine. If you have the money and don't want to spend the time looking on Craigslist or local shops for an older one that you'll probably have to clean and repair a bit.
>>
It's probably the best out there in that price range. Get it, unless you plan on dropping $4k on a turntable.
>>
Pro-Ject debut carbon is one of the best new turntables at this moment, great sound and a reasonable price.
>>
I just picked up this same turntable in black and it should be at my house today. I ended up pairing the LP 120 with a set Audioengine A5+s.

I do plan on taking the built in pre amp out of the turntable cause some people report even when you use your own pre amp the signal is still sent through the pre amps board so out it goes.

Other than that I have heard some really good things about it and if this thread is still up i'll let you know how it sounds tonight.
>>
>>63038127
It's a cheap Technics knockoff, the motor feels slightly weaker, but other than that it's basically the same thing without the hassle and at around half the price.

>>63038281
Yes.

>>63038418
>belt-driven
not even once.
>>
>>63038127
i just bought one it's ight i bought a pair of JBL lsr305s with it.

it's really bulky and not as aesthetically pleasing as the pro-ject

the pre amp as many has said before is complete shit and it's looks very tedious to rip it out, other have turn off the pre amp and connect a new one to it (the ART DJPRE II is highly recommended) but some say that keeping the pre amp will still ruin the sound. only way to upgrade it completely is to rip it out

not sure what im going to do right now...i feel uncomfortable ripping it out and messing around with the wires.

the mat it comes with sucks too, it creates lots of static. i plan to replace it with a cork mat soon other than that i have no other complaints. setting it up was super easy i just watched a youtube tutorial
>>
People who never touch their records while they're spinning are not the target audience of this table.
Neither are people who only own one.
>>
>>63038827
You mention it's a cheap clone, but it sounds like you're saying it's actually nearly a dead-ringer for the real deal?
>>
>>63038971
It's a cheap knockoff, if you look closer, especially if you compare them side-by side.
The technics is aluminium, LP120 is plastic, etc.
Lots of cuts to lower the cost.
>>
>>63038455
>>63038896
I >>63038324
I was just planning on using the built-in preamp with a set of audioengine a2's.

Is the preamp that bad or is this weirdo hobbyists who are in too deep doing the talking? Reminder that I am someone who is looking to make the most of my money.
>>
>>63039016
But it sure seems like the ATLP120 is a quality product at the price, no?
>>
>>63039187
It is.
But it's also a cheap knockoff compared to the real deal.
>>
>>63039171
i only had mine for about a week and can tell im not getting the most out of it. im not really stressing over it that much because it's does it's job and im only a casual listener.

ive seen ripping the pre amp out mentioned numerous times though so i am not sure if it's just a audiophile thing or not
>>
>>63039171
I cant vouch for the "weirdo hobbyist" but I imagine its mostly just people looking for the absolute purist sound shitting on an entry level turntable. The turntable is a solid start and receives a lot of praises from all over the place. If you are not too concerned about having the best sound possible and instead are looking for a casual listening experience you should be very happy with the LP120. Just stay real and realize you probably arent going to get the absolute best sounding experience out of a 200 dollar turntable
>>
>>63039397
But as most people expect a tinny hiss and pop extravaganza, I should actually be blown away at first blush, right? As someone who has been using junky 35 year-old set ups this whole time?
>>
>>63039171
The built in preamp is fine with such shitty speakers.
>>
I have an lp-120 usb, black, it's my first turntable so I figured why not, seemed the best bet for the price. So far I love it, the usb function is nice, only thing I don't exactly like about it was the tone arm safety is pretty cheap and I feel it's going to break any second.
>>
>>63039503
Recommend me something!
>>
>>63039564
What's your budget?
>>
>>63039449
If you can look at it as someone new to the hobby or whatever I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how the system sounds. Especially in the 200 or so dollar range.
>>
>>63039663
Basically the cost of the a2's, $300. I suppose I could shimmy north of that, but not much.
>>
>>63038127
Just go on craigslist and find a technics
>>
>>63038827

>preferring a cheap direct drive over belt driven

enjoy your hum and shit motor
>>
>>63039949
Belts wear out quickly, especially with the abuse I put them through.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.