[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After listening to their previous albums again and some of Panda's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: cover.jpg (120 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
120 KB, 900x900
After listening to their previous albums again and some of Panda's solo stuff I can see why they went in this direction. They did good on getting rid of the reverb cause after hearing it in many records it gets obnoxious and annoying. The drone and ambient stuff does get stale at times though I wish it was added just slightly

This album is refreshing, energetic, and simple but people just seem to be stuck in the old AnCo
>>
>>63017363
I also like this album.
>>
solid 8/10 would listen again
hotheads just need to fuck off
>>
>>63017363
the more i listen to it the less i like it :(
>>
I agree OP. I think AnCo was just trying to go more laid back and fun but that wasn't enough for people.
>>
>>63017363
I do miss the reverb tho, why would anyone make a psychedelic album with no reverb?
>>
>>63017499
lol
>>63017449
is the complete opposite for me
>>
9/10

They are going in a great direction. I want a new Panda Bear album already though, I prefer his solo material
>>
guitar anco revival when?
>>
I'm going to an anco gig, planning on taking pills, would anybody who's been to see them recommend not doing this?
>>
The droniness of MPP is one of the album's biggest strengths (like the ending of Daily Routine which is absolutely perfect)

I can understand the merit of what they did with Painting With but MPP is the pinnicle of quality of their pop experimentation
>>
>>63017617
>sung tongs 2
>>
>>63017363
It's really too bad they ruined their reputation by releasing this crappy album
>>
>>63018263
Nah it's not shit
>>
>>63017717
>pinnacle
Agree with you.

>>63018263
My thoughts are close to yours, it's an ok album, maybe even good, but it's not good enough to be wowed considering the band that released it. Maybe I expected too much, it's fun, but shallow. No strong feels from this one, some superficial happiness.
>>
it sounds pretty much like how they described the recording process

it's just jarring because they've always toured their albums before recording them until now

it's like there's an element that we've come to associate with them that's missing here
>>
seeing them in a few days,

Anybody here going to the Portland show?
>>
The live shows have been great, albeit some volume issues imo.

>on delay
>floridada
>golden gal
>summing the wretch
>the burglars
>vertical

all great. the problem is that it really does feel a bit shallow which is dissapointing, but I love it for what it is.
>>
I don't feel it's emotionally shallow honestly, though I realize that sort of thing is subjective. The lyrics to Bagels in Kiev, when Panda and Avey finally fully join together in the bridge of Floridada, the middle portion of On Delay, and the entirety of Recycling (have no idea why this track is getting so slept on) are all emotionally powerful moments for me.
>>
Listening to it more and seeing videos of the live performances, the problem is simply the production and the way it's recorded imo. The concepts are mainly solid (on some songs more than others obv), and the passion is there in their live shows.

That said, even if they'd recorded it perfectly the concepts still pale in comparison to their hot streak and I agree there is close to zero emotional heft on this record.
>>
>>63021534
>I agree there is close to zero emotional heft on this record.
that is completely subjective tho
>>
>>63021751
And I agree with that subjective assessment.

=| :)
>>
>>63021809
but i just don't understand it, personally. is the only thing considered "emotion" sadness like Cuckoo Cuckoo or Banshee Beat? I mean joy is an emotion. Elation is an emotion. Amusement is an emotion. There's plenty of that on the record.

I just think people tend to be narrowminded when it comes to what constitutes "emotional" on an album - it's not always "deep"
>>
>>63021918
I agree with you entirely. Except for the assertion that there's any of those things on the record in any substantial amount. I get shimmers of elation on Panda's vox in FloriDada and Golden Gal, and even Feels-era innocence and enthusiasm in Avey's voice in On Delay. There's just not enough of these moments to make the album meaningful to me.
>>
>>63022077
That's fair enough.
>>
>>63018234
More like feels 2
>>
I don't really know how I feel about the album as a whole yet, but if anything I think it shows that Avey's pop-writing skills are still sharp. Most of his tracks here are stronger than anything on ETSH or CHz (and I didn't hate those).

It's the Panda tracks that bring it down a few notches really. Though I do like Hocus Pocus and Recycling. And I think Natural Selection is a little underrated.
>>
>>63017717
I actually thought MPP sounded incredibly half baked. It's not satisfying at all as an experimental album but the pop songwriting is hit and miss when compared to Painting With.

If I'm feeling like something experimental, I'll listen to HCTI or Danse. If I'm feeling like something poppy I'll listen to Painting With or Panda solo stuff. If I'm looking for a successful blend of the two I'll listen to Feels or Sung Tongs. Where does MPP fit into such a varied and high quality catalogue?
>>
its goat
>>
>>63017661
Was just at their gig in Chicago last weekend. I was sober and it was awesome but I think drugs would only add to it.
>>
>>63023187
It's funny, how you feel about MPP is the same way I view SJ. I don't get why that album is so beloved. It's not poppy enough or intriguing/experimental enough.

Guess it's just a taste thing, as I thought the pop songwriting was much stronger on MPP than PW - especially in the melody department, and Avey and Panda's vocal workings and harmonies felt a lot more organic and less forced to me. It's also thematically consistent, and in my own view I always sort of saw it as a sequel of sorts to STGSTV (the latter being about the anxieties of shedding a child's view of the world and becoming an adult; MPP being the response: hey, there are some struggles to get through, but overall adulthood ain't so bad.)
>>
>>63023344
It's interesting you feel that way about the harmonies being more organic and the album being more coherent- I actually thought the opposite, I didn't like how separate the Avey and Panda songs sounded (outside of a few, notably Also Frightened). To me it felt like the work of two completely separate artists smothered over with the same production sheen, whereas PW sounds much more natural and collaborative to me.
That's one of the great things about AC though, that their music is so subjective.

I do like SJ but I can definitely see how it could be a complete miss for some people.
>>
>>63023222
only correct post
>>
I'm listening again right now. It's probably the most instantly enjoyable AnCo album while still being really good on its own. I think it's one of my favorites of theirs so far but I like poppy AnCo a lot
>>
>>63023474
Well, I always enjoyed the tracks on MPP where Panda and Avey really do come together vocally (Summertime Clothes, Taste, Guys Eyes, Brother Sport, Also Frightened, Bluish, No More Runnin'). To me those are the strongest points on the album, apart from Daily Routine which I think is brilliant despite sounding just like a straight Panda track.

But yeah, the lack of consensus is actually neat.
>>
>>63023595
Is MPP your fave anco?
>>
>>63023633
Nah, Sung Tongs is.
>>
Must suck when you've made Person Pitch and have to make shit like this so your friends don't get too jealous of you.
>>
>>63023671
Avey has written the bulk of the best AnCo songs so
>>
>>63023671
PP ain't even that good bro
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.