[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you help me (german 20-year old) convincing my dad that there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: o-DAD-PLAYING-MUSIC-facebook.jpg (393 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-DAD-PLAYING-MUSIC-facebook.jpg
393 KB, 2000x1000
Can you help me (german 20-year old) convincing my dad that there exist amazing records after 1995? I showed him some albums I genuinely enjoy and he disliked most of them.

SOME OF HIS FAVORITE RECORDS:
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper, Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life, Marvin Gaye - What's Going On, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon, The Band - The Last Waltz

WHAT HE HATES:
Kanye West - Yeezus

WHAT I SHOWED HIM AND HE DISLIKES IT:
Radiohead - OK Computer, Flying Lotus - You're Dead, MGMT - Oracular Spectacular,

WHAT I SHOWED HIM AND HE FOUND MEDIOCRE:
Arcade Fire - Reflektor, Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend, Thundercat - Apocalypse, Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

Could you suggest something he might like?
>>
>>63011993
Here, this is golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr1fadJNLRA
>>
>>63011993
oh wow it's like generations have cultural differences
>>
>>63011993
Show him some Queens Of The Stone Age.
>>
It's obvious that you should show him some prog rock of nowadays like Steven Wilson or the latest releases from Opeth for example. But don't expect him to ever change his mind...
>>
File: until all the ghosts are gone.jpg (773 KB, 1063x1063) Image search: [Google]
until all the ghosts are gone.jpg
773 KB, 1063x1063
>>63011993
>>
VNV Nation? Empires was one of the few albums I really liked and ended up buying despite being deep in my exclusive metal phase (as in, actively download or buy, radio/youtube doesn't count) that lasted over a decade.

Try later R.E.M. as well, chances are your dad has heard something off Green or Out of Time and loved it, so probably a high chance he'll like something off their later records.
>>
>>63011993
your father is right
>>
Tame Impala, Foxygen, Leon Bridges and other dadrock revival and dadr&b revival artists
>>
D'Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah
Eryka Badu - Mama's Gun
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Tame Impala - Lonerism

See if he goes for some of these anon
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway and April
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze and Smoke Ring For My Halo
Grizzly Bear - Vecktamist
Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
>>
>>63011993
No, there is not a single good record released after 1995, fampai.
>>
>>63012985
go 2 bed, dad
>>
>>63013011
but it's true.
electronic music died with hardcore.
>>
>>63013021
there isn't even a good metal album after 1995...
>>
>>63013064
>there isn't even a good metal album
ftfy
>>
>>63012985
>>63013021
>>63013064
Aren't you all a bit too old to be posting on 4chan?
>>
File: witchcraft2.jpg (425 KB, 532x532) Image search: [Google]
witchcraft2.jpg
425 KB, 532x532
>>63013064
False. This album is a masterpiece.
>>
>>63011993
How have you not had him listen to Arctic Monkeys? Seriously, play Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. for him. I dare you to find somebody who doesn't like that album.
>>
>>63013084
4chan is almost 13 years old, it's an agedfag site at this point
>>
>>63013084
>>63013144
holy shit i'm wasting my life in this shithole for far to long.

time flies fast. 1995 is like 10 years ago. the first time i browsed 4chan feels like 5 years ago.
>>
>>63011993
deaf gribs
>>
>>63011993
>Radiohead - OK Computer
Does anyone's dad like Radiohead? My dad can't stand Thom Yorke's voice.
>>
>>63013106

>metal

lmao I love Witchcraft bruh but METAL???
>>
File: something that may shock you.png (257 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
something that may shock you.png
257 KB, 576x384
>>63013139

they aren't any good at all
>>
>>63013319
Same here, both my parents hate them
>>
>>63013649
My mom likes Radiohead. My dad actually likes almost everything that I've had him listen to, except Radiohead, Death Grips, Swans, and Daniel Johnston.
>>
Growlers, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall,and Oblivians maybe. Growlers especially if he likes the doors.
>>
>>63013622
They can be classified as Doom Metal. He didn't specify which metal.
>>
>>63013670
he's probably just nice to you (and hates secretly all these awful singers… and I wouldn't blame him desu)
>>
File: i disagree.jpg (20 KB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
i disagree.jpg
20 KB, 500x391
>>63013744

I wouldn't really consider them doom desu fambo

But fine, I guess
>>
I see he likes Marvin Gaye, so maybe he would like D'Angelo - Black Messiah
>>
my dad only likes the Japanese music I play
>>
>>63013766
Nah, he actually likes lots of modern rock and metal music.
>>
>>63011993

My dad really liked Children of Bodom, but I don't think that'd fit your dads superior taste, which he has
>>
File: wiewaereeshiermitduschwuchtel.jpg (796 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
wiewaereeshiermitduschwuchtel.jpg
796 KB, 1000x1000
>>
He'd probably like The Flaming Lips, although they started back in the 80s so they're not really representative...
I was going to suggest The Olivia Tremor Control but i think your dad just likes really well constructed songs and not baroque psychedelia. Like their records are not tight masterful melodic things, they just have gr8 arrangements...
Maybe try Agaetis Byrjun. That's probs too boring for him too, but I think if he likes Floyd. But you know maybe it's the lyrical stuff. See but like nowadays we might think the lyrics are corny and obvious and we might think OK Computer pulls off Floyd better but he just hears a dolorous whine.
I dunno, have you ever tried to engage with your dad in a discussion where the both of you critically examine what each of you like about the music you like and then try to reach a common ground? Personally I like your dad's taste better btw, but each of you kind of have obvious favorites for your time. I don't give a shit man.
>>
But your dad is right. Stop trying
>>
>>63011993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQUSzw5c1g

would be very surprised if he didn't like this (1998)
>>
Don't bother trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I dunno your background but if your dad was who got you into music then you gotta roll away from that tree you fell from and be your own tree. If your interest was independently developed you need to grow more secure in your taste and stop seeking approval from dad. All those records he likes are great though, so try to bond with him with mutual appreciation of those. Don't bother trying to get your dad to change. The great records of the here and now are exploring ideas much different than those your dad cares about. There's no way to bridge that gap.
>>
GREETINGS GERMAN

if your dad like dad rock then maybe get him into some more recent stoner/desert rock because to me, that is the most similar music that is being made today. examples include:

Colour haze - periscope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbM-7rE2Fs8

that one was made in 99 maybe he will give it a try

Earthless- End to end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2GQcBukb8U

earthless is instrumental except for that song i believe. they just released it and it's fucking awesome

Dead meadow- sleepy silver door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Nuun_P1ZQ
kind of a stoner staple album/song. good stuff. annoying vocals, but i dont mind them personally.

and then there's The Sword. a little heavier but still quality music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsmxJvgcjU
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.