[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do people think of the new M83 single? https://www.you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: seer.png (186 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
seer.png
186 KB, 640x640
What do people think of the new M83 single?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh9rkIRGUs
>>
>>63000612
It sucks
>>
poop
>>
>>63000612
shockingly bad.
>>
>>63000612
It's great. Just what we need these days with how toxic the social and political climate's been getting lately. Swans fans are just butthurt no one likes super edgy music anymore.
>>
meh. also it's the opening track, does not match up well with intro from hurry up.
>>
Good choice of doggo
>>
What the fuck were they thinking? I'll even defend their cheesier material like Saturdays = Youth, but after hurry up and now this I think it's safe to say they're done for
>>
I liked it, then kinda hated it, then loved it.

It's a weird as fuck track. I think it will be better with the entire album as a whole but this is a very strange single. I'm not complaining, I loved Saturdays = Youth and love the upbeat m83 tracks.

I don't think anything will ever top Before the Dawn Heals us. Teen Angst and Don't Save us From the flames (ESPECIALLY THE 10 MINUTE MIX) are legendary.
>>
>>63002615
After listening to it about 6 times in a row, this is not a track to listen to more than once in a sitting.

This is not a good single
>>
>>63003089
I disagree. I've heard it around 15 times. It's sitting pretty well with me. Like a more playful version of Midnight City that doesn't give a fuck. The songwriting's solid, the layering and tones are executed really well too.
Not mind-blowing, but certainly not a bad track either. I can't think of a single aspect of the song I hate.
>>
...why are they doing french house now, what the fuck.
>>
really loving it
m83 has always put out great singles
the albums have been spotty though
>>
space doge xd
>>
sounds like some kind of strange mix between daft punk and mgmt. ehh its ok i guess.
>>
>>63002615
THIS!

Like it's garbage, but it's also kinda not garbage??
>>
>>63000865
>>63001300
>>63001910
>>63003089

All of this. The chorus is tolerable but everything else is just awful. The music has turned from cinematic to poppy-ish garbage.

>>63002615

Well, we agree about Before the Dawn Heals Us at least!
>>
passion pit tier pop shit
>>
Seems to me Anthony is lowering the cinematic-feeling stuff for more a accessible pop sound. I'm holding my judgement until the album actually comes out. M83 is still one of my favourite bands, and Hurry Up though not their best, is certainly a very good album IMHO
>>
>>63004758
Not at all. It's actually pretty complex. I'm guessing you're not a musician.
>>
Reminds me of Free Your Mind era Cut Copy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>>
I thought that was a decent track. I haven't listened to M83 before though so eh
>>
I thought it was a decent track, slightly bizarre, and slightly safe (in a passable, forgettable way).

On first listen, I was intrigued. On second listen, it wasn't as strong, but I am still hopeful for the new album. I enjoyed Hurry Up, and even more so Before the Dawn and Dead Cities, and I'm interested to see how m83's sound may have changed.
>>
M83 has been my favorite band for years now, with HUWD being my favorite album. I didn't need him to stick with that sound, but this is... bizarre. Some of the layers don't go together at all, and the vocals are grating. The album art is absolutely horrible too, but I'm still holding out for the full album. There's some good stuff in the song, so we'll see I guess.
I already spent $80 on tickets to see them in May, so either the album better be good or they better play a wide mix of older stuff as well. Still pissed that I missed them last time, only a month after HUWD came out.
>>
>>63002615
>>63003089
>>63003995
>>63004012
>>63004825
>>63006085
>>63007873
I'll agree with these
also the fucking dog animation is pissing me off
>>
>>63006085
Absolutely! Another album that should have been further embraced by synth pop fans. I can't believe how many times I have listened to this new single and I am sure when people hear it live opinions will change.
>>
>>63009510
>the fucking dog animation is pissing me off
yeah what's the aesthetic he's going for here sesame street? doesn't really seem to have to do with his new sound.

what's the musical reference? elton john or something?
>>
Kind of disappointed
>>
>>63009478
I had a feeling they were going to go more poppy. This song sounds like a worse version of Walk the Moon
>>
they be doing it again. Hold onto your fedora's boys, the wild ride into music of the 2020's begins here
>>
>>63005868
Complexity doesn't make a good song. Obviously you're also not a musician because if you were, you would know that.
>>
Never heard M83.
First time hearing this, I like it a lot.What's some of their best albums?
>>
>>63004257
>Muh epic cinematic experience

I knew this would be people's reactions no matter what he did next, which I knew wouldn't be like Hurry Up
>>
>>63011174
This is pretty different than most of their earlier work. Their specialty is cinematic, shoegazey music, you could say post-rock inspired. Their first 3 albums follow that. s/t is a bit weaker but the other two are great.

Digital Shades is more minimal and ambient, i quite like it but many dont.

Saturdays and HUWD have some synthpop sort of songs but also a lot of the more cinematic stuff of their earlier work.

M83 also has a soundtrack to the film Oblivion which is very enjoyable if you like the sort of cinematic stuff they do.

Listen to Hurry Up We're Dreaming to start with. The opener after the intro is the hit single Midnight City which you might have heard already. If you like the crescendo, post-rocky parts, you'll like the rest of their work.

Overall a pretty consistent discography and all of their albums are worth listening to.
>>
I think it's a fun opening for the album. Glad he isn't going for the 'epic' sound he's been chasing from "Dawn" and "Hurry up". After Oblivion, I was afraid he'd start getting type-cast to make big sounding stuff for movies from now on and would never make an album again. I'm just happy he's putting an album out again instead of doing movie stuff. Not that I didn't enjoy Oblivion, I like sci-fi.
>>
>>63011882
Fair analysis, I concur with all of this.
>>
Not their best. But I find it kind of catchy. This new album will never be as good as Saturday = Youth or Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
>>
>>63000874
wow great delivery with that joke
>>
what the fuck is this? nightcore?
>>
>>63011882
Going to add some more to your post since you didn't talk about the other two albums and because I like M83 so much.

Their second album, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, has a very distinct aesthetic in that they use this noisy, kind of static synths throughout the album but the cinematic sound is still there. Beautiful record.

The follow up, Before the Dawn Heals us, actually has an interesting story behind it and kind of explains why the overall atmosphere of the entire album is the way it is. This one is great as it introduces guitars and acoustic drums into the mix. There are some absolutely explosive songs in here, as well as some mind-numbingly giant sounding ones too.
>>
>>63000612
i like the meta doge vibes im getting from it

i think i might start a new music project and have all my videos have doge singing
>>
I haven't heard it yet but based off the aesthetic I can pretty much confirm that it'll be coming to an Adult Swim bump near you.
>>
Not quite exactly what I expected, but I enjoy it a lot. Looking forward to the new album.
>>
>>63013176
nice addition. what's the story behind Before the Dawn?
>>
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming >Before the Dawn Heals Us > DeadCities, RedSeas & LostGhosts > Digital Shades, Vol 1 = Saturdays=Youth > M83

Have a feeling this will probably be around as good as S=Y
>>
>>63000612
Awful. Why did his taste go so shit
>>
laughably terrible
>>
the artwork for the album, holy shit. Is everyone trying to be a meme?
>>
>wahh, it's not le epin Hans Zimmer soundtrack music anymore!

Are the plebs finally gonna hop off the M83 bandwagon? I hope so. Sell me yor tix plz
>>
I quite liked it, having never heard anything but midnight city before (that's by him right?)
>>
I have no idea
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.