[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "H" Chord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 9531167_orig.gif (10 KB, 665x352) Image search: [Google]
9531167_orig.gif
10 KB, 665x352
Hello, /mu/.

I was thinking about chords, and just got to wondering.
What if there was an "H" chord?

I know that it is impossible, because there are only 12 notes in most Western music, but what would it sound like if it did exist?
>>
Like an existing microtonal note. You're just dividing the octave by 13 instead of 12, so everything shifts downwards slightly apart from middle C.
>>
Death Grips
>>
It would sound slightly out of tune because you're not used to the kind of dissonances that would appear from using a 13-TET scale.
>>
It all depends on the way you divide the scale by frequency. Like you said, in western music there are only 12 notes and after that next leap what you would be hearing, your "H", would just be an A again, but up an octave.

Like this post says though (>>62989307) you could divide the scale differently so that an octave was divided amongst 13 (or any other number of intervals) and you would have your "H" note.

It would sound like any other note, but a scale divided amongst 13 intervals would sound very strange to our conditioned western ears. It would sound like the instrument was out of tune.
>>
>>62989302
I guess you could call it... harpsichord
>>
>>62989331
>>62989307
>>62989318
That's so interesting.
Do you know of any music that this has been tried with?
>>
>>62989348
Just google "microtonal music", there's shitloads out there in every genre you can imagine.
>>
>>62989345
I'm pretty simple when it comes to music theory, I must admit.
>>
>>62989302
I think it does exist, but not sure how and where. But Bach used a melody in his last piece from the art of fugue consisting of his own name.

I once wanted to learn a king crimson song on guitar and it told me to play an H7.
>>
>>62989388
>But Bach used a melody in his last piece from the art of fugue consisting of his own name.
That's just a B natural called an H, which isn't too uncommon in some paradigms. When I grew up and learning basic music theory in elementary school we we're told B could be called either B or H.

>I once wanted to learn a king crimson song on guitar and it told me to play an H7.
Just a B7 chord.
>>
>>62989302
I don't know but for my music i use 15 'notes' to make it more 'patrician' as you lot would say
>>
>>62989388
In some countries the notes of an ordinary C major scale are called c, d, e, f, g, a, h.

I know that this is the fact in Denmark, where I'm from, and I'm pretty sure that's also the case with Germany - maybe also in the rest of the nordic countries.

Example: Bach's Mass in B minor is called H-Moll-Messe in German (moll means minor).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-Moll-Messe
>>
>>62989348
Check out this band called Syzygys. They do twee pop stuff but they have this microtonal organ thing which plays on a 23 note scale or something.

It's weird hearing the dissonant tones over such bright and accessible backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3FZkQTn51o
>>
>>62989470
I like this. It almost sounds French, a little bit like the Mario theme music as well, just less simplistic.
>>
>>62989470
that just sounds like someone playing an accordion really really badly
>>
Hang on wait, people on /mu/ are actually talking about music theory and not just albums they listened to. What is this
>>
Arabic / asian music use this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCq2LTHJMnE
>>
>>62989573
Actually, I didn't explain.
It's not 13 tones it's 24 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_tone_system
>>
>>62989551
Welcome to /mu/, I take it you didn't enjoy your first few days here.

>>62989573
>>62989592
Not really the same thing OP is talking about, middle eastern music usually uses quarter tones. Lots of non-western music uses different scale, much is further from western 12-TET than middle eastern scales.
>>
>>62989470
My favourite microtonal thing is Jute Gyte because microtonal black metal. The music sounds like it is melting or something.

https://jutegyte.bandcamp.com/album/vast-chains
>>
>>62989551
This is what happens when infinitechan is down, and Anon decides to take 400mG of ADHD meds to focus on his assignment based on the Cold War, but ends up focusing on things completely irrelevant.
>>
just stockhausen bb
then its all dust
>>
>>62989573
This makes me feel a lot more elated than it should.
I feel like I am being serenaded by skinny Arabian Hagrid, paired with Bruce Banner.
>>
>>62989302
Its not impossible. You just divide the octave into 13 or 14 notes depending on if you want an "H#" as well.

You could program a microtonal keyboard to play this kind of scale pretty easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8re6rFj7q10
>>
>>62989650
This seems like what Slint would sound like if they let their repressed anger show in their music.
>>
>>62989721
My apologies, this is meant to be in reply to;
>>62989652
>>
>>62989613
Thank you for sharing this, seems great.
>>
>>62989687
>>62989307
When you do this won't you change the root quality of all chords apart from C and so a B won't technically be a B any more? True mystical H chord can't exist if it has to fuck everything else up to do so.
>>
>>62989302
There is already an H chord. The note H is the same as the note B. Look it up.
>>
>>62989803
No problem, it's pretty interesting stuff
>>
>>62989951
Just use G# +25 cents or +50 cents or something for your H note.

You will have to build the rest of the chord with 12TET notes though, so the chord based on H will sound a bit weird.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.