[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Ye argued that MBDTF wasn't as groundbreaking as the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: 1346070780_KanyeShrug1.jpg (38 KB, 336x308) Image search: [Google]
1346070780_KanyeShrug1.jpg
38 KB, 336x308
'Ye argued that MBDTF wasn't as groundbreaking as the albums the preceded and followed it.

"You know, people extend their brand for a long time. There's true moments of genius, then there are moments of looking through the archives and putting shit together," he said. "So many people rate Dark Fantasy as my best album, but Yeezus and 808s are so much stronger. Dark Fantasy to me is... almost like, an apology record. 'Power' was the least progressive song that I've ever had as a first single.... least challenging."
>>
MBDTF: Plebeian's choice
808s: Contrarian's choice
Yeezus: Patrician's choice
>>
I have been waiting for people to recognize this
>>
He's not wrong. MBDTF isn't as experimental as 808s or Yeezus, but it is still the better album because it perfected the formula that started from 808s.
>>
mbdtf is citizen kane
808s and yeezus are cult films
>>
MBDTF is mostly boring desu. The inevitable supposed pop-rap Magnum Opus where each song is crafted in such a way that it will appeal to anyone, and thus "being good".

Yeezus > 808s > Late Registration > College Dropout > MBDTF > Pablo > Graduation.
>>
>>62989028
I like the part where he actually said that
>>
>>62989131
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/kanye-west-says-808s-and-yeezus-are-so-much-stronger-than-mbdtf-news.18041.html
>>
>>62989028
ye has a point
i may need to reevaluate
>>
>something is experimental/groundbreaking so it's better
When will this meme die?
>>
>>62989097
This is the most correct answer
>>
Glad that enough time has passed that we can start critiquing MBDTF.
Yes it's really good, but it feels kinda safe. Especially in comparison to Yeezus and 808, it's a safe middle ground between the two, and thus the most popular.
>>
Yeezus and 808s were definitely more experimental and to a certain extent more interesting. But MBDTF is a rock solid album, and that's hard to beat.
>>
>>62989097
>mbdtf is citizen kane
Are you a redditor?
>>
>>62989041
Id argue 808s is patrician and Graduation is contrarian
>>
>>62990214

Reddit like bad films desu, their movies board is cringey as fuck
>>
>>62990271
citizen kane is a bad film
style over substance... the progenitor of todays visual-effect stuffed movies transformers etc.
>>
MBDTF is pop-rap. As far as hip hop goes, his previous work is obviously better.
>>
>>62990502
L O L

It's a fucking character study you absolute moron.
>>
>>62990720
a shallow and inept one
>>
>>62990748
let's pretend you're right for a second; what makes it shallow and/or inept
>>
>>62990748

I'm indifferent to 'Citizen Kane' personally, but I think you're unfairly conflating modern sensibilities here. Cinema was still within comparatively humble beginnings back then.

The work was path-breaking within the medium. No one was doing *anything* like that at the time. This is akin to calling Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' shallow and inept - at the time it was neither.
>>
>>62990804
Because him remembering and muttering the sled's name instead of say his mother's or hometown's or whatever is retarded and cheap
>>
File: 1450341355655.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1450341355655.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>62990850
>>
>>62990850

Honestly it would've been better if you didn't post this at all instead of letting anon know in no uncertain terms that you're just a simple simon.
>>
>>62990886
Do you know just one child who remembers the brand name of his sled? Do you know one child who associates his childhood most with his sled and not his family. It was a cheap trope
>>
>>62990934
Oh wow it's almost like he has issues with abandonment from his family and instead attached to an inanimate object that never failed him or something
>>
>>62989065
MBDTF, a maximal, baroque album, perfected the formula of the relentlessly minimal 808s? what the fuck is wrong with Reddit kids?
>>
>>62990956
>to an inanimate object that never failed him or something
wew lad
>>
>>62990934
>Do you know one child who associates his childhood most with his sled and not his family.
not him but replace sled with computer or phone
20 years ago replace it with console
>>
>>62989097
>shit taste in music AND film
Congrats bro
>>
>>62990971
Yeah I get it. It just seems so unrealistic that he remembered his sled's brand name for like 50-60 years instead of coping with his childhood traumas earlier or any other way
>>
>DO YOU GET IT? HE STILL MISSES HIS CHILDHOOD :DD PLS UPVOTE
Literally the Nolan flick of it's time
>>
>>62990969
That was a completion of the "oh wow it's almost like...or something" statement

Anyway to that dude, you're a total fucktard if you don't see the significance of that detail. Hell I don't even enjoy the film that much but if that flew over your head than I suggest not offering your opinions on any film ever again
>>
College Dropout is still his best and most groundbreaking
>>
>>62991027
>he still misses his childhood
>implying his attachment to the sled does not act as an innocent precursor to a future of materialism

I'm not really a fan of the film and I get where you're coming from but at the time, even such basic imagery was goddamn revolutionary. The reason Nolan is hated is because of his pretentious style that simply takes the tropes of other, much more accomplished directors, and reduces them to mainstream drivel
>>
>>62990992
You need to watch the film again. It was a symbol for what it represented to him rather than the object itself. The fact he still owned it after all those years meant he frequently reflected on it.

I don't get why "it's unrealistic" is enough reason for you to try and spread such hate for it.

>>62991027
ebin :^)
>>
>>62990992

Emotional transference.

Plus culturally and socially it was a very different time in the 40s. Most cinema back then lacked the kind of emotional nuance and depth that you'd find now. It was all very austere and childlike in its sentiment.

You need to stop assessing this film with a modern sensibility. Try to evaluate a work with historical context in mind.
>>
>>62991085
>The fact he still owned it after all those years meant he frequently reflected on it.
Fair point. Not the guy calling it inept btw just jumped in to rant about this
>>
>>62991027
It's exactly like a Nolan film... the same people who claim Citizen Kane as a classic always laud Vertigo as well because those are the only "old timey" films they know of

without any contextual awareness they fail to realise how films like that actually stunted the medium
>>
Ingmar Berman on Orson Welles:
“For me he’s just a hoax. It’s empty. It’s not interesting. It’s dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of — is all the critics’ darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it’s a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie’s got is absolutely unbelievable.”
>>
>>62991292
True dat'
>>
>>62991234

>the same people who claim Citizen Kane as a classic always laud Vertigo as well because those are the only "old timey" films they know of

This is merely everyday people trying to feign erudition in a topic that they've barely explored so they aren't made to feel stunted or ignorant by others. People do this all the time in everything. It's the same as someone who doesn't really watch any sports trying to awkwardly bluff their way through a conversation about it with a couple of people who really know their shit. Just make a mental note of it and move on. It's your fault if you actually let this annoyance develop into a bias within the topic itself.

>without any contextual awareness they fail to realise how films like that actually stunted the medium

Which you seemingly have as this hyperbolic nonsense is beyond ridiculous.
>>
>>62991234
>>62991292
wow anon you sure showed us I guess citizen kane is shit and always has been
>>
>>62991234

>talking shit about Vertigo

man, fuck you. I've seen plenty of "old timey" films (Fellini, Bergman, Vertov, Dovzhenko, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Ozu, Antonioni, Capra, John Ford, etc.) and Vertigo is still a great film.

The scene where Kim Novak casts pretty flowers in a raging sea before being swept up herself, in the shadow of one of the zeniths of masculine sublimation, and then is saved by the decisive action of a man, that's human psychodynamics, the eternal struggle between masculine and feminine, summarized in analogy perfectly.

Scorsese and Paul Schrader voted for it in the BFI poll, and I'm sure they know more about film than you.
>>
File: marker.jpg (21 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
marker.jpg
21 KB, 620x348
>>62992275

>and Vertigo is still a great film.

'Vertigo' is a masterpiece.
That anon is just a pleb in denial.
>>
i don't know why people are comparing kanye to orson welles

kanye's more like stanley kubrick level
>>
>>62992275

legit

vertigo is a great film and is not overrated
>>
>>62991052
this it's a legitimate 10/10
>>
Tlop pushes right through the envelope. Dammit kanye imma have to tape it up lol.
>>
>>62989028
Yeezus is his best hands down
>>
I agree, Dark Fantasy was just him apologizing for the Taylor Swift incident. Plus there was a lot of filler, like Chris Rock talkin bout pu$$y and the who will survive in America poem. Not only that but also Power is shit, Kanye gets destroyed in Monster, All of the Lights is Graduation tier pop-shit, actually might be worse than Graduation. Also the mixing and mastering was all over the place
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.