[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NIN General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 764x852) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 764x852
>list your top two least favourite NIN songs to get the ball running.
>>
Not a big fan of most of With Teeth, but I can't think of two specific songs that I'd consider his worst/least favorite.
>>
>>62981421
>With_Teeth
I have a soft spot for that album. I mean, it's not without its flaws (The Hand That Feeds is one of Trent's most uninspired songs ever, IMO) but Sunspots and Only resurrect it for me.
>>
>>62981493
Only is actually one of my fav NIN songs, but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.
>>
That's What I Get
>>
>>62981526
That's fair enough. Similar sort of thing with me and YZ, it just doesn't work for me.

That being said, my last favorite NIN songs are Starfuckers and The Perfect Drug. They're just bland for me. (I'm OP, by the way)
>>
>>62981548
This tbqhfam.
>>
>>62981572
I like Starfuckers, but I think there's some remixes from Things Fall Apart that work better than the actual song.
>>
>>62981607
Eh, I don't know. It's uninspired and kind of boring compared to his GOAT godtier work. It was also incredibly out of place on The Fragile.
>>
Almost all of HM
Everything
Everyday is exactly the same
Where is everybody?
No, you dont.
>>
>>62981949
>Everyday is exactly the same
Yeah, it's an annoyingly repetitive song. Lacks a lot of the clever lyrical metaphor Trent exhibited he was capable of in TDS/The Fragile era. Very boring song overall.m

>almost all of HM
Copy Of A and Came Back Haunted were alright. Find My Way was boring though. And I can't remember any others right now. Says a lot about the album tbqh.
>>
Anyone here seen the Broken film? I'm watching it tonight and I want to know what to expect.

>tfw I can watch Dead Alive and not get grossed out

Will I be ok, /mu/?
>>
Everything. It's LA hipsters telling Trent that the whole "industrial" thing is lame and him buying it.
>>
>>62982065
The song, or literally everything he's written??
>>
>>62982061
youll be fine
>>
What do you guys think of the new album coming out this year?
>>
>>62982018
Ok Came back Haunted and Copy of A were good. In two is the only other song I like from that album.
>>
>>62982503
I'm pretty excited. He has a habit of trying different/new things with each release so hopefully it won't just be DRUM MACHINE + VOCALS unlike HM.

>>62982529
Same here, actually. I love the intro into the second verse of Copy Of A.
>>
>>62982581
>the intro into the second verse of Copy Of A.
DUN DUN DUN DUN DAAAAAA DUN *synth solo*
>>
bumpppp
>>
Reptile and Piggy for me. Could never quite get into those songs :/
>>
>>62981421
most of WT jams

>>62981493
you sir are smokin crack
>>
>>62982086
It's him doing a shitty post punk song. So what do you think. He drunk the kool aid those LA hipsters were shilling him. HM on the whole was dogshit album. There's a good reason why SLAM BAMBOO never caught on and Nine Inch Nails made it big. Guess he forgot that.
>>
>>62983346
bad taste
>>
>>62983634
This. Those two are arguably some of the best on TDS
>implying you place these below Hand That Feeds and Perfect Drug
cringe you're a pleb.
>>
>>62983436
>you sir are smoking crack

Uh...? Why?
>>
I don't like NIN that much but I really loved Ghosts I - IV and his work with Atticus Ross on The Social Network ost.
>>
Essential for any/all ninners to read:
http://www.legendsmagazine.net/54/artdark.htm
>>
Starfuckers
Everyday is exactly the same

Fuck those songs.
>>
Maybe Just Once
>>
Hesitation Marks was a good album musically but I don't know why Trent still writes lyrics like a edgy teenager.
>>
>>62984741
Because depression never fucking stops, you moron.
>>
>>62984766
Yeah but he can make it more mature. His style was acceptable for the first four albums but now it sounds too young and angsty, like something a high schooler wrote in his journal on a bad day. I think he's just trying to emulate past feelings at this point.
>>
File: Untitled.png (476 KB, 977x449) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
476 KB, 977x449
>Trent Reznor is already a father for the 3rd time
Everything
Deep
>>
>>62984997
>bait
>>
>>62985089
his wife is fat
>>
>>62981493
Sunspots is the best track I think.
>>
>>62985090
Worse, opinion
>>
>>62985090
How is it bait? He has a point. Trent is 50 years old, that's way too old to be writing teenage lyrics like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_DI4ajKA
>>
>>62985098
>his wife's ass is fat
ftfy
>>
File: R-3526-1169697267.jpeg.jpg (116 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
R-3526-1169697267.jpeg.jpg
116 KB, 600x589
Besides the Starfuckers remixes, this is an excellent remix album and i have always thought of it as an underdog of the NIN catalog.

Ghosts I
Beside You in Time
Lights in the Sky
A Warm Place

All underdogs imo.
>>
The Fragile = The Downward Spiral > Broken > Year Zero > The Slip > With Teeth > Pretty Hate Machine = Ghosts > Hesitation Marks
>>
>>62985115
This.

>>62985247
A Warm Place gets a lot of praise but yeah, this list is pretty much spot on. Things Falling Apart is great.

>>62985264
>W_T above PHM
pleb get out

Holy shit another baby? Trent you beast.
>>
>>62984676
i actually really like that song, most upbeat NIN track, or at least tied with "Everything"
>>
>>62985339
PHM is dated as fuck, I still love it but some of the songs on there are extremely juvenile like That's What I Get. With Teeth on the whole is stronger even though it's a massive step-down from The Fragile.
>>
>>62985427
>PHM is dated as fuck

Long time NIN fan here, and I totally agree with this. I think some of the songs from WT are just as juvenile. Only in particular.
>>
>>62985518
I prefer PHM because of HLAH and Terrible Lie and Sin. And Down In It, even if the lyrics are cheesy.
>>
>>62985518
With Teeth is his worst album lyrically
>>
I wouldn't call myself a fan to be honest, but I am fascinated with trying to understand NIN in the context of his contemporaries. So far, I've only made it up to the Fragile, and what I'm thinking is that his take on industrial isn't terribly original apart from being toned down to a point of further accessibility to people from outside of the genre. I also get the impression that his earlier lyrics on PHM are meaningless, and after reading up on his upbringing that aside from Broken (and moments from the Fragile) that the anger is mostly a put on.

Am I missing something with all of this?
>>
>>62985609
His take on Industrial is in a sense not "original", but in my opinion he took all the best aspects that have already been explored by other groups and refined them into very well done and polished pop anthems
>>
>>62985602
I do not disagree,
>>
>>62985609
>implying you have to have a sad childhood to be angry/depressed
Imagine being this ignorant.
>am I missing something?
Yeah. His music isn't actually industrial because he's never labeled it as such. He writes what he wants, and the record company slaps a label on it themselves.

>PHM lyrics are meaningless
Read the interview I read above. His first song was about suicide (Down In It).
>>
>>62985677
>Nine Inch Nails
>pop

Pick one.
>>
>>62985609
>>62985728

most of his anger seems existential in nature
>>
>>62985609
The main appeal of NIN is that Trent does amazing production and layering on his albums that make them very dense musically and easy to appreciate time and time again. The weakest aspect has always been his lyrics, but when he's doing a concept album to direct his writing with like TDS or Year Zero they aren't half bad.
>>
>>62985704
Nah man, Year Zero. Sunspots and Love Is Not Enough are great, lyrics wise.
>>
>>62985750
Trent has always had strong pop sensibilities
>>
>>62985759
A lot of it came from failed relationships and the social anxiety he developed in 1993. And he had issues with the religion he was taught as a child.
>>
>>62985760
>lyrics
AATCHB's shine as well, to be quite honest. His best lyrical work IMO.
>>
>>62985786
But he despises pop music, m8. He would personally glare at you if you said that to his face tbhfam.
>>
>>62985845
Nah, he was also a huge Prince fan as far as I know.
>>
>>62985871
Liking one artist doesn't construe liking a whole genre.
>>
>>62985818
THIS.
>>
>Ringfinger
>Purest Feeling

(dis)honorable mentions:
That's What I Get, Kinda I Want To (dem lyrics), Getting Smaller, Capital G, The Warning, Came Back Haunted, Everything

>>62984676
That's actually a pretty good song that suffers from dreadful production IMO.
>that lame xylophone sounding keyboard riff
>>
Ruiner and The Great Below are really underrated.
>>
>>62981356
>get the ball running
>running

wow i always thought the whole "NIN fans are all autistic" thing was just a meme
>>
>>62987850
OP here, meant to type "rolling" but at the same time I was thinking about writing "thread running". Wew I ended up crossing the two.
>>
>>62982018
>HM
I liked Satellite a lot. Black Noise and In Two are pretty good as well.

Disappointed is one of my least favourite NIN songs though.

>>62981572
I like Starfuckers quite a bit, I just feel like it didn't fit great with the rest of The Fragile. It kinda breaks the mood f it for me.

>>62983346
Those are some of my favourite tracks on TDS
>>
>>62985264
The Fragile > The Downward Spiral >Year Zero > Broken = Ghosts > With Teeth = Hesitation Marks > Pretty Hate Machine
>>
>>62985609
this might give you some more insight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kPZ7Ko1Dw
>>
>tfw a gross ass girl you used to fuck told you "closer" was about you and her
>>
>>62989494
>Ghosts
>Year Zero
>With_Teeth
>Hesitation Marks

m8 why are all these above PHM? kek gtfo

>>62989533
he's such a cutie <3

>>62989482
>favourite tracks
Yes definitely. That anon has bad taste.
>>
>>62989585
>m8 why are all these above PHM? kek gtfo
Eh, I'm just not as into PHM. I still think it's a good album, but like someone said already it's pretty dated. That, and trent's voice sounds really.. amateur I guess? Also, I think it ranks pretty low lyrically.
>just as everything was making sense
>you took away all my self con-fi-dence

As a weird side-note, all of your replies were to my posts
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.