[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you say what music you're into? For me saying 'experimental'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: Cool Carl sexy pic.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cool Carl sexy pic.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
How do you say what music you're into?

For me saying 'experimental' comes off as pretentious and saying 'weird music' comes off as... weird. Worst case scenario I start name-dropping genres.

Not a real dilemma, of course, but I always find it hard to answer this question if I'm ever asked.
>>
>>62971600
tell me what you are into and i'll tell you how to phrase it
>>
I just say I'm a very devoted music fan.
>>
Electronica

This includes ambient, breakcore and harsh noise, so it works. Of course, I'm not above edm, so it's a safe answer.
>>
people at work have asked me what kind of music i like. i say tape music and noise rock. then they ask what tape music is. then i tell them. easy. most people have a general idea of what noise rock is.
>>
>>62971600
"I'm into a lot of shit what about you?"

who cares about what I'm into I want to know about you

and then bounce shit off so we can both relate with each other
>>
>>62971617
I mean basically a lot of the stuff you'll see on /mu/ and the occasional odd one out. Not a lot of the poppier stuff, though.
>>
you wouldn't even understand the only words i could use to accurately describe it

*cape swoosh*
>>
>>62971600
in the off chance people talk to me, i just say i take music seriously and ask what genre they're into, and then i talk about the bands i like in said genres and rec bands in the same style to the other person
>>
>>62971688
this is completely vague and tells me nothing. how about you actually figure out what you like then you will be able to talk about that with people.
>>
>>62971688
you listen to cow music
>>
>>62971688
you listen to pop and rock
>>
I listen to Jason Aldean, Coil, Loscil, Six Organs of Admittance, Skullflower, the list could go on...
>>
>>62971600
i usually say punk rock and related stuff but that's because most people that ask me that usually are into specific stuff already
to the rest i literally just say "everything"
>>
I say ''dope shit.'' Non ironically. Then i bug them and see if they dig anything i like and then i connect that way.
>>
>>62971600
i just say "anything" and if people ask for artists in popular genres that some people consider "art genres" just name artists they might know in those genres so they don't think I'm pretentious
if they don't ask for specifics, I don't say specifics
>>
I usually just say hip hop. Tons of people listen to hip hop
>>
>>62971617
Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, HaNL, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Vangelis, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue. The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD, the list goes on and on..
>>
>>62971845
pick out a few of those that you like and tell people that you like them then describe their sound
people will respond favorably to anything if you have a sincere interest in those things and their thoughts too
>>
>>62971845
Tell 'em you listen to try hard music or elitist music - like be straight up - say your a snob or an elitist, but do it with some damn swag and people will let it slide.
>>
>>62971878
Nah brah. Most people respond negatively if you start reciting bands/artists nobody knows of.
>>
How do I explain to someone that I like pretty much everything and that good is good and bad is bad.
>>
>>62971688
everything but country and rap
>>
>>62971924
"i like this band which sounds like this
i also like this band which sounds like this"

"oh you like this that sounds like that?
you might enjoy that which sounds like this."

"okay i love you too bye"

>>62971945
"i don't have a clear lock on specifically what i like but i give most things a shot and am pretty open-minded. what do you like? i'll check it out thanks :)"
>>
>>62971945
"i like everything"
there
>>
>>62971978
no one would ever say that. keep it short and simple. no one cares about music that much irl>>62971845
>>
>>62971845
accidentally quoted you. anyways just say you're a real hispter with a joke like expression then say you like some older rock music and hip hop and electronica
>>
>>62971915
this is the approach I go with. Just be completely straight up about it, throw in some swagger or some self deprecation and suddenly you've gone from "the weird music guy" to "the guy who knows a lot about music" in your circle
>>
i forgot non-normies go on /mu/
>>
I just tell people I listen to Jazz. I've had thousands gfs.
>>
>>62971600
If I'm really trying to be general about it, I just say I'm into hipster garbage.
>>
>>62971600
I just say "Avant-Garde music", then proceed to ask them if they have listened any of it and finally show them whatever I have on my cellphone at the time.
>>
>>62971600
"Drum & Bass, Jungle, Garage, Grime"

Everyone knows what Grime is now, most people know what Drum & Bass are Garage are at least, not many people seem to be aware Jungle is (was) a thing.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.