[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Yeezy change rap?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 1
File: 3-kanye-west-smile.jpg (79 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
3-kanye-west-smile.jpg
79 KB, 304x304
How did Yeezy change rap?
>>
Put an end to the gangsta image.
>>
he didn't
>>
>>62961758
this. he made rap for little pasty white tumblr kids
>>
>>62961718
He demolished gangsta rap from the radio
>>
>>62961826
Outkast did that shit before. The Love Below/ Speakerboxx best selling hip-hop album of all time a year befor CD. And they were making backpacker/nerd/colorful/soulful with musically progressive beats since the 90´s
>>
>>62961718
What DIDN'T he change? Tougher question.
>>
>>62962520
Well, this isn't necessarily true, they were definetly pretty gangster, and traditional in everything up to SB/LB. And the bug hits off of that were all very poppy, and not as "hip-hop" as Jesus Walks. But either way, Outkast are more of an anomaly than anything else, it was Kanye that inspired the next generation of rappers, and changed the scene as a whole, were as Outkast can be looked at as part of the change.
>>
>>62961718

Honestly I'm not sure if he did much to change rap. He's certainly /different/ than most rappers, but I don't think his compositions or his image have had too much influence on the rap community outside of the following:

>he was one of a handful of people who repopularized autotune

>he helped give rise to so-called "emotional" rappers like Drake

Otherwise....I don't see his influence permeating much more of hip hop culture.
>>
By copying the true innovators in rap and bring it to the mainstream
>>
>>62962633
I think the pure unabashed ego, and self aggrandizing started from him

As well as the more lavish production styles that started to develop a bit post-MBDTF
>>
>>62962585
Have you heard Aquemini or Atliens? That shit is hip hop and nerdy as fuck and even anti-gansta, listen to Return of the G they´re even parodying and critisicing the whole movement. Kanye has clearly been inspired by Outkast, and any buzzworthy rapper will cite 3stacks as one his influences. You could say he is the Steve Jobs of rap, he´s the best thief in the game. Appropiating other´s ideas and calling himself a creative genius. You can see a recent example in Yeezus were he appropiated the whole industrial hip hop sound from artists like Death Grips and CLPPNG.
>>
>>62962585
Or 808's from T Pain.
>>
>>62962759
Taking something and doing it better than anyone ever did before isnt stealing, people sang songs and rapped for years that doesn't meant everyone singing now stole the concept of singing you fucking tard.
>>
>>62962805
So you say Yeezus is better than Death Grips you pleb? Exagerating my argument using strawman fallacy. Go back to Reddt.
>>
>>62961758
>Put an end to the gangsta image.
And Drake is undoing all his progress by pretending to be hard.
>>
>>62962897
You ARE reddit. Fact. You are the personification of reddit. All your posts real of reddit. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>62962897
You sound like a little bitch, lose the argument so claim 'le reddit' is behind it.
>>
>>62962759
>. You could say he is the Steve Jobs of rap, he´s the best thief in the game. Appropiating other´s ideas and calling himself a creative genius
This, Kanye just appropriated a bunch of cliche'd conscious hip hop tropes, only his early production efforts were innovative, Backpack hip hop existed and was popular way before Kanye came around.
>>
>>62962955
>>62962974
When someone actually has a real refuting argument. Man since when this meme hip hop ignorant /mu bandwagon hit? This Kanye dick sucking with no facts is really annoying. At least people used to give real arguments here. And I like Kanye´s music. But the stupid shit you read and to the level they praise him is just plain sheep menatlity retardation.
>>
>>62961718
what's changerap?

sounds like some idealistic Macklemore shit.
>>
>>62961718
literally who?
>>
Kanye first set off a production trend with his 00's sampling style then stayed relevant by emulating popular tropes through the years in his own style. How he changed hip-hop is how he accellerated some movements' popularity and still does, thus changing hip-hop
>>
>>62962759
CLPPNG suck
>>
>>62963201
Any examples? Because soulful beats with pitch shifted/accelerated soul samples just doesn´t make it.
>>
>>62963276
Why?After College Dropout everyone turned batshit over chipmunking and/or downpitched voice from Lil Wayne to A$AP and Tyler if you wanna look at more modern examples of his influence.
>>
>>62963333
Because he didn´t invent that.
>>
>>62963471
Even then it wouldn't invalidate the rest of my opinion.
>>
>>62963471
that's correct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1th02cIRkmM
>>
>>62963502
>>62963333
Where'd Kanye use downpitched vocals out of curiosity...I thought that was a result of DJ Screw/Southern Hip Hop revivalism
>>
>>62962759
>You can see a recent example in Yeezus were he appropiated the whole industrial hip hop sound from artists like Death Grips and CLPPNG.

people hate to admit this.
>>
>>62963471
Check out RZA, Just Blaze, Q Tip and J Dilla. All big producers before Kanye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1th02cIRkmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GvB9ySUJ3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwJNHF91F3A
>>
>>62963598
i say appropriated, not blatantly rip-off. Kanye can't sell DG levels of anger and strife but he can utilize industrial hip-hop for his own needs, which is was Yeezus is. Not a rip-off. I don't even use that word often. i fucking hate it.
>>
>>62961718
He encouraged other rappers to incorporate house and other electronic influences into their music following the success of Stronger.
>>
>>62963090
in what way is death grips superior to kanye west?
>>
He kinda prolonged decent production I guess
>>
He made it okay for white people to listen to
>>
>>62962564
Pretty deep senpai desu
>>
>>62966216
Fucking kill yourself
>>
By making it inaccessible to people who have good taste
>>
More creative production.
>>
>>62961718
>Ending shitty southern rap
>Advocated better production for rap
>Gangsta stigma is gone
>>
copy pasta from the last thread:

because he reinvented hip hop as a mainstream album-worthy musical experience. Yes, there are many great albums and concept albums in hip hop (shout out to doom and outkast), but Kanye made it pop.

He is the greatest pop rap musician to ever live. Friends of mine, listening to Kanye, always ask "when would you listen to this?" because the idea of rap music, just for listening, is so foreign to them. It is the *exact* same thing that happened when Pet Sounds came out: rock music eventually transformed into AOR. We're seeing the same thing happen today. BtI, GKMC, TPAB, forest hills drive, Lupe, 1999, even my krazy life, are all following this vein.

IMO, he's dropped three duds. But he innovated by upping the artsiness of hip hop music.
>>
>>62966336
>Ending shitty southern rap
i hated lil jon too - it's party music that sounded obnoxious as fuck in literally any other context. but big tymers were good, soulja slim was good, wayne was good (but overplayed), three 6 mafia was good. but for some reason, there was just a big industry push for boring lil jon stuff and wayne stuff. CRUNK IS GOOD BLAZE IT. it did become intolerable.

>Advocated better production for rap
hmm. no. production naturally just... got better. raising hell sounds more basic than illmatic sounds more basic than ds2. one person didn't "influence" that.

>Gangsta stigma is gone
didn't really influence that either. there were "conscious" indie rappers before him. his first hit single was every introspective indie rap song at the time. but if you were mtv b& and not into hip hop on any level, then it sounded fresh.
>>
>>62966461
>>Advocated better production for rap
>hmm. no. production naturally just... got better. raising hell sounds more basic than illmatic sounds more basic than ds2. one person didn't "influence" that.

not saying kanye made production all around better but saying something sounds more 'basic' like it's worse is dumb as shit. and DS2 is a horrible example for today's production advancements

>"conscious" indie rappers
exactly. kanye seriously broke the boundary between underground and mainstream, that's probably what he is MOST known for. most popular rappers in the world right now are either socially conscious (or on another note: autotune garbage).

hmmmmm wonder where that all came from
>>
>>62961826
de la soul did that 20 years before him
>>
>>62966502
>exactly. kanye seriously broke the boundary between underground and mainstream, that's probably what he is MOST known for. most popular rappers in the world right now are either socially conscious (or on another note: autotune garbage).

knew someone would say this.

tupac, biggie, eminem - they all wrote similar tracks. my point was that people were still doing that, even through crunk and lil wayne. do stans really think kanye invented personal problems and insecurity.
>>
>>62966553
did I say Kanye invented social commentary and reflection?

the post I responded to was regarding the gangsta image: tupac had thug life tattooed on his chest, biggie actually was a gangsta, and eminem rapped about murdering and raping his mom.

kanye wore fucking rugby shirts. you can argue about Kanye not being all that for tons of reasons but the one thing you have to give him is the breakthrough he had. he proved the alternative aesthetic had a huge market.

NOBODY thought the college dropout would sell, let alone go triple platinum
>>
>>62966602

>eminem rapped about murdering and raping his mom

if i had, rock bottom, stan, the way i am, sing for the moment etc...
>>
>>62966698

<---- the point

(You)
>>
>>62966602
those are two different arguments
>what his agent/label/stylists created
>what his own musical talent and insight created

if they wanted to push how "street" he was, he would've had all kinds of Chicago underground shout outs and co-signs everywhere.

cobain is actually a better example of someone who created something different AND had a new image.
>>
>>62961758
this in addition to Late Registration's string arrangements are the 2 worthwhile things Kanye has ever done.
>>
>>62966793
>his label created his style

dude, he threatened to walk from roc unless they gave him a real studio album. jay-z released the black album and wound up losing the grammy to ye. nobody at the roc was exactly itching to release kanye's album, and nobody thought it'd do as well as it did.

Kanye's revamped soul beats WERE something new.

the underage b&s here also won't remember that Kanye beats were fucking unescapable at this point in time. remember the blueprint?
>>
Then Kanye dropped it was polos and backpacks, damn.
>>
He is the greatest producer in popular music right now. Not just rap. Any genre.

The only one I can think of that comes close is Rick Rubin, and he isn't an actual artist like Kanye is, just an very talented editor.
>>
>>62966848
>dude, he threatened to walk from roc unless they gave him a real studio album.
jack white is a diva about his backstage rider. it doesn't mean he's a genius.

>jay-z released the black album and wound up losing the grammy to ye.
because jay-z's whole goal has always been to be mainstream acceptable.

>nobody at the roc was exactly itching to release kanye's album, and nobody thought it'd do as well as it did.
so mainstream labels will keep pushing the same fucking shit as long as it makes money? wow who could have seen that coming.

>Kanye's revamped soul beats WERE something new.
arguable. i would say "not really."

>the underage b&s here also won't remember that Kanye beats were fucking unescapable at this point in time. remember the blueprint?
are you really downgrading jay z. apparently you're the real underage b& here. jay z is immediately recognizable and immediately captivating. you could add him onto metro boomin, dj mustard, flying lotus, grimes, animal collective, sun kil moon. it would still be badass because he's a talented lyricist and vocalist.
>>
>>62966986
>are you really downgrading jay z.
No, he's saying you could easily tell a Kanye beat back then because it was sort of like How DJ Mustard's beats are nowadays
>>
>>62966986
you seem to have missed the point of my post. once again, not trying to call Kanye a genius here. just that his aesthetic (nerd rap image) was a hugely influential turn in the pop rap sphere. nobody knew it was marketable before, and his label was hesitant to allow it.

not really downgrading Mr. Z here friend. listen to vol 3 and the dynasty again then tell me that's not night and day to the blueprint.
>>
>>62961812

Tumblr wasn't even a thing when TCD dropped you underage little shit.
>>
>>62962916

in what world would Drake be considered a tough guy?

He's no viper
>>
>>62961718
he watered it down for white people
>>
>>62968150

actually he brought it up to the higher standards of white people.
>>
>>62961718
shouldnt we talk more likely about how money changed music? in the end kanye is nothing without the illuminati machine
>>
>>62963868
Yeezus is a rip-off of Niggy Tardust
>>
>>62961718
he didn't
>>
>>62961758

gansta rap didn't had a log live from the get go, Ye only accelerated the dying process.
>>
>>62965598

Eminem did that.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.