[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain why he's a "genius". And remember, "Listen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: 3df2ea.jpg (21 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
3df2ea.jpg
21 KB, 300x400
Explain why he's a "genius".

And remember, "Listen his albums" is not a valid answer.
>>
>>62961692
It's because he says so.
>>
because pitchfork says he is
>>
go to bed Taylor
>>
He is a self proclaimed genius, and his fans agree with him and his attitude. He is a pretty good producer, and he undoubtedly has had some influence on hip hop, but it pretty much ends there. His over the top behavior and egotism attract him a lot of attention, and for some reason people associate this with his genius. He's also a shit lyricist.
>>
He isn't a genius though.
>>
>>62961692
>>62961915
Listen to the tracks:
>Jesus Walks
>Gone
>All of the Lights
>I'm In It
all in a row and try to deny that he's talented. He puts (or put, as the life of pablo is very stark and rough) incredible detail into his best productions and is influenced by much more than just rap.

His rapping has always been a weak point but by now it's part of his sound
>>
He isn't a Genius but go listen to hip hop from the early 2000s then listen to this song. he brought a new style that no one was really doing. he's a good producer, shit rapper, shit lyricist, but can make albums with themes and atmosphere which his peers until recently have failed at doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s40J0N5CxE
>>
>>62961965
Making good beats doesn't make anyone a genius
>>
>>62961692
because if a black person calls himself a genius it is racist to suggest otherwise according to the media
>>
Lyrically, I always thought West was a bit lacking, but he's a great producer. He knows how to get a song going and keep it going, and he knows how to make tracks flow into each other seamlessly. The man himself is a childish, self-centered, pretentious douche-canoe, but he's made some great things.
He also gets to fuck Kim Kardashian's ass whenever he wants, so you've gotta respect him for that.
>>
ugh shaming creative people of color
>>
>>62961692
If he were a genius he would be a scientist not a fucking pop star
>>
>>62961965
I never said he wasn't talented or smart, he certainly is. He is just not the 'genius' or 'best of all time' that he claims he is.
>>
>>62961991
I didn't use the word genius, but I do think he is exceptionally good at making hip hop instrumentals and the 4 tracks I gave should be proof.
>>
>>62961692
>"Listen his albums" is not a valid answer.
speak for yourself

The better artists today use that technique to improve songs. I usually do my '1st take' then keep going until I tire of the song, usually over a few weeks of listening to it (sometimes blazed to give me some weird ideas).
>>
>>62962073
Everything in this post is wrong
>>
>>62961692
Because he's the most influential music artist of the 21st century.

Not the best.
Not the most creative.
The most influential.

And to people saying he's a shit lyricists, you're also wrong. He's great producer, and a great lyricist when he wants to be. Most of albums have consistently great bars. Yeezus and TLOP are 2 out of 7.
>>
Name one genius that ain't crazy
>>
>>62962112
influential to teenager pop music, but thats hardly important
>>
>>62962136
and hip hop you decrepit shill
>>
>>62962112
>>62961692
He's also developed two or three classic hip hop albums, one of which is one of the greatest of all time
>>
>>62962154
>and hip hop
yeah. thats fully under that umbrella
>>
Why are people talking like he makes the music himself? Just look at the credits of the album, dude has an orchestra working for him
Are you people really so ingenuous that you believe that pop stars have any participation in their music other than 'being there'?

>>62962123
damn
>>
>>62962179
:^)
>>
he's a genius because he says he is

he has worked harder than you ever will to change the world
>>
"choke a South Park writer with a fishstick"
All the proof needed for this gay fish to be a genius.
>>
>>62962123
Elon Musk, though you could argue that he's less a genius and more a philanthropist.
>>
There are very few artists that can balance pop appeal and innovation as well as he can
>>
>>62961965
Four tracks (which are good btw) still don't justify him being a genius though I still believe he is good to a degree
>>
>>62962105
>Everything in this post is wrong
And that's why you post on /mu/ and don't write good music.
>>
because he reinvented hip hop as a mainstream album-worthy musical experience. Yes, there are many great albums and concept albums in hip hop (shout out to doom and outkast), but Kanye made it pop. He is the greatest pop rap musician to ever live.

Friends of mine, listening to Kanye, always ask "when would you listen to this?" because the idea of rap music, just for listening, is so foreign to them. It is the *exact* same thing that happened when Pet Sounds came out: rock music eventually transformed into AOR. We're seeing the same thing happen today. BtI, GKMC, TPAB, forest hills drive, Lupe, 1999, even my krazy life, are all following this vein.

IMO, he's dropped three duds. But he innovated by upping the artsiness of hip hop music.

30, 40, 50 years from now, when people have to name ONE hip hop artist off the top of their heads, they will say Kanye Omari West.

Greatest living rock star on the planet.
>>
>>62962449
I'd love to hit the bong to your tunes, anon, don't worry
>>
>>62962449
>the "artist is more talented than critic" fallacy
gb2 youtube comments

Also I do not get your post about "the better artists today use that technique to improve songs". Are you talking about writing songs or listening to music?
>>
File: angry bird.jpg (28 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
angry bird.jpg
28 KB, 425x282
>>62962498
You started off with some good points about hip hop albums but then went full on ktt
>>
>>62962551
didn't mean to stan. wanted to sound impartial if anything, because I really dislike some of his shit and it makes me cringe.

I meant to compare him to like the beatles or something rather than the absolute god savior of hip hop
>>
>>62961692
Well if you don't listen to his music you'll never get it
>>
HES A GENIUS HE MADE A VIDEOGAME WITH DICKS AS MAIN CHARATCER WHEN HE WAS 12
>>
>>62963109

He was born and raised in Avant Garde
>>
Listen his albums
>>
>>62961692
listen to his albums idiot
>>
>>62961692
Go feed your cat, Taylor
>>
hes more or less the spear head of the aesthetic plunderphonic movement which spawned from his completely original idea of rapping over soul vocals.
>>
File: tlop.jpg (78 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
tlop.jpg
78 KB, 650x650
paul mccartney liked him to bob dylan and john lennon... one of music's greatest geniuses calling yeezy the combination of perhaps modern music's two most cherished greats. is that good enough for you?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.